Ridiculous amount of wisps

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Virgoddess

Jul 29, 2019
I was on my server last night, exploring around. I came across an area with no less than 50 wisps. There was *no* flux in the environment at all. Any ideas?
2013-04-09_19.30.30.png

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
There was flux in that area but it cleaned itself. All nodes try to purge flux at very high levels, but certain "pure" nodes will try to clean themselves entirely and the most common method used to achieve this is spawning a ton of wisps.

Virgoddess

Jul 29, 2019
So does flux spawn by itself? Because it was a completely unexplored area, on a new server - no one even has a wand yet, so no magic has been done at all.

NTaylor

Jul 29, 2019
Flux can be created in a couple of ways some seemingly by itself. One common way for an unexplored area to have a lot of flux is if someone did a lot of magic in a nearby area and drained the aura there then when you generated the new chunks while exploring it will balance with nearby nodes creating flux.

Also if the area contained a corrupted node then it will spawn a lot of wisps in the area.

... Just reread your second comment and saw you said no magic done so most likely it is a corrupted node.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
What I've noticed is that wisp despawning seems to work differently than for other mobs. Seems like if nobody is around when they spawn they'll be there indefinitely until somebody shows up.

Example:

I had a thaumcraft myst age setup where I had built a large node. I decided to see how quickly arcane bores would drain aura. Put a huge dent in the node, flux went high and I went on to other things in other dimensions for a few days. When I portaled back to that age after a few days there were wisps everywhere.

i8Ov2a1.jpg

I flew away for about 15-30 minutes raiding Lost Libraries. When I came back to this area----which is chunkloaded, btw---all the wisps were gone.

DaWhiskers

Jul 29, 2019
I have also witnessed nodes merging with those from silverleaf trees in new chunks as they are generated, this could be the cause of the flux.

nevakanezah

Jul 29, 2019
I had a thaumcraft myst age setup where I had built a large node. I decided to see how quickly arcane bores would drain aura. Put a huge dent in the node, flux went high and I went on to other things in other dimensions for a few days. When I portaled back to that age after a few days there were wisps everywhere.
[IMAGE]
New desktop background GET

CodaPDX

Jul 29, 2019
There could also be a wisp spawner nearby. The obsidian altars with the ring of totems around them have a wisp spawner underneath the chest in the center.

Jul 29, 2019
I have also witnessed nodes merging with those from silverleaf trees in new chunks as they are generated, this could be the cause of the flux.
Hmm... Im pretty sure that silverwood trees each create a small node of positive energy, and when planted close to each other or an existing node, the node will slightly increase in size. The node will gradually reduce flux levels. I know this from personal experience: i had lots of wisps in my base-area so i got some silverwoods there and the flux level went from high to minimal (not extremely fast though) and there were no more wisps

Summit

Jul 29, 2019
My frame mining machine stopped near a wisp spawner once, and when I went out to investigate there were dozens of wisps around. The only thing I could think of was the chunk loader on the machine allowed the wisps to spawn and as they flew away from the spawner, more would spawn.