ResCalc, the primary resource finder

Mistadon

Jul 29, 2019
ResCalc for Minecraft V.1.1
Introduction:
Hello guys!
Did you ever craft some more advanced machine and had to run to the crafting table and back to the chest because you forgot something again and again? Did this annoy you? Did you think: "Wouldn't it be nice to know what I need to craft my 53 stairs, 10 electric furnaces or 64 fusion reactors"?

Well, I have the solution!
ResCalc is a (relatively) simple program that shows you exactly what primary resources (or res, that's the way I call it, but I'm not english) you need for your machine or whatever you want to craft.
You can save one recipe per item, and when you want to know "Well, how much iron do I need for my 11 anvils?", you open the ResCalc Viewer and it will tell you!
I have already added many of the vanilla items, it will automatically download them from my Dropbox. Therefore, the first start will take a while (depending on your internet and computer-speed and whatever).
Very soon, I will even make an Android app, but that will have to wait a few days.

Features:
  • calculate the resource need for whatever you want to craft
  • has an editor to easily add/edit/delete items
  • now even projects (you requested it and I'm really proud of myself)
  • no NSA (hopefully)
Coming Features/TODO:
I don't know... I really need more good config files! Currently, there only is a vanilla config file (more or less complete) and a few items from IC². Please send me your configs! This would really help me.
Also, make suggestions! The android app is coming very soon and I'll post a link here.
And maybe one day, I will make this mod somehow integrated into Minecraft so you don't have to switch between ResCalc and Minecraft or, if you're on the phone, your phone and Minecraft. But this will actually take a pretty long time, even if I'm actually able to do this.
Screenshots:
Main menu:
main_menu.PNG

Viewer:
viewer.PNG

Editor:
editor.PNG

Projects:
projects.PNG

Download:

JAR (all platforms) or EXE (windows only)
Recent changes:

V. 1.1: Projects, a better way of managing the config files and bug fixes
V. 1.0: Release
I would be really glad to hear what you like/dislike/hate and bugs and stuff like that!
Please tell me about your ideas (features to add)!
If you really like this tool, make config files (create a new .txt file in the config folder, it will detect it and open it the next time you start ResCalc), fill them with recipes and send them to me!

If you want the source code just send me a message with a reason why (I'm just interested, nothing else).

Regards,
Mistadon

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I look forward to the android app. This is something I would actually pay for. I use spread sheets right now on large builds to plan mat costs.

I have one suggesting though. A thing like "add to project" so you can keep a running total of multiple look ups. Handy for those nested recipes and large builds.

Mistadon

Jul 29, 2019
I look forward to the android app. This is something I would actually pay for. I use spread sheets right now on large builds to plan mat costs.

I have one suggesting though. A thing like "add to project" so you can keep a running total of multiple look ups. Handy for those nested recipes and large builds.

Very good idea! I have already started, won't take too long ;)

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
While this is already a great idea just imagine how amazing it could be if it could work for Thaumcraft, telling you what combination of items you should use to equal the aspects and limit the flux creation

Reactions: Saice

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
While this is already a great idea just imagine how amazing it could be if it could work for Thaumcraft, telling you what combination of items you should use to equal the aspects and limit the flux creation

that would be epic but probably outside the scope of just pulling materiel needs out NEI.

Mistadon

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I actually hardly ever used Thaumcraft so I don't really know what you mean.
I am still trying to get the projects working, it is way harder than I thought for it doesn't work and I don't know why.
I'll work a bit more on ResCalc in the next few weeks, so I am pretty sure at least projects are gonna work very soon.

And the android app is most probably coming together with this new version, unless it takes even longer than I think. Then I will upload ResCalc as an android app with the old code and update it as soon as possible.

Reactions: Saice

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
that would be epic but probably outside the scope of just pulling materiel needs out NEI.

I know but it'd still be cool. Actually that's one thing that annoys me about NEI, not being able to see the aspects of objects outside your inventory

ewsmith

Jul 29, 2019
I know but it'd still be cool. Actually that's one thing that annoys me about NEI, not being able to see the aspects of objects outside your inventory
nei plugins has a config flag to add a aspect menu to the top menu button... thing. Just look in the nei config.

btw, commenting on this forum on a mobile device is a pita.

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019

It is? I have only ever used my iPod for connecting to these forums - I haven't ever loaded up the FTB forums on my laptop at all.

This calculator looks pretty amazing - is AE included? If so, that would be amazing due to the constant hassle of "having enough certus quartz". Kinda the reason I don't have an AE system yet - I am worried ill spend a ton of mats on half a system, and not be able to finish it.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019

Nah, I do tech support from my phone unless its something I really need my computer for.

@OP, looking forward to this. Mostly the android app.

Mistadon

Jul 29, 2019
Okay guys, projects are now working! I uploaded the new version and remade the original post so it looks a bit more nicely. I hope the projects are working for you too! I did not test them a lot.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Anyway to make it an executable? Not everyone will know how to launch a java jar or write a bat to do so.

Mistadon

Jul 29, 2019
I dont have any idea how to do that, but I could ask a friend who might know... do you mean an .exe file?

Mistadon

Jul 29, 2019
I found a tool to do this. Well, the icon is not that beautiful, but it works ;) Next version will definitely bring a nicer icon (I hope!)

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome looking, gonna have to test this out when I get home :D (and a bump for you...)

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Unless I'm mistaken, to run a jar just right click it, go to "Open With", then click Java.

When making something for the masses it is uselessly good to make it as user friendly as possible. Just like there is a large number of people that would not even be playing modded MC if it was not for easy launchers like FTB there is a number of people that have no idea how to run a jar file.

Reactions: Eyamaz