Renaming executables in modpack updates

Korenn

Jul 29, 2019
Can the modpack authors please, for the love of server admin sanity, stop renaming the executable on updates? We're running the mindcrack pack and it's been renamed for like the fourth time already. I don't use the supplied shell script as I have my own which adds functions I need.

It's so annoying when you spend half an hour trying to find out why the update won't run just because they renamed it again and you were trying to run the new mod versions with the old executable.

zekesonxx

Jul 29, 2019
lol. go away troll. u blind or what ?

What is wrong with him? They do keep renaming the executables AND the mod file names. When I updated from DW20 v4->v5.0.1 I spent almost a hour getting all the old things deleted.

Nessiroj

Jul 29, 2019
Can the modpack authors please, for the love of server admin sanity, stop renaming the executable on updates? We're running the mindcrack pack and it's been renamed for like the fourth time already. I don't use the supplied shell script as I have my own which adds functions I need.

It's so annoying when you spend half an hour trying to find out why the update won't run just because they renamed it again and you were trying to run the new mod versions with the old executable.

I'm not sure why the modpackdevs decided to changed the names (prob to make it more universalname for the hosting companies and the server control packages), but they are aware of the problems what come with it (CaseSensitive OS etc).

Deor

Jul 29, 2019
Please. Share the CORRECT way to update.

All i do is delete the .JAR file and everything in the mods, coremods and config folders, then upload the replacement content from the new zip. If you make any changes to the config files (which i dont), you just tweak them before you upload.
Once thats done, rename the .JAR file to whatever you need it to be and upload that too. Simple and it works for me.

I just wish they would put the version number in the server zip download file name and include something in the zip, like the release notes, that identifies it!

Korenn

Jul 29, 2019
All i do is delete the .JAR file and everything in the mods, coremods and config folders, then upload the replacement content from the new zip. If you make any changes to the config files (which i dont), you just tweak them before you upload.
Once thats done, rename the .JAR file to whatever you need it to be and upload that too. Simple and it works for me.

I just wish they would put the version number in the server zip download file name and include something in the zip, like the release notes, that identifies it!
Mod jar names changing is not such a big problem and not entirely under the control of the FTB people.

I can automate backing up and deleting the old config, mods and coremods folders. I can't automate guessing what unnecessary executable name change they come up with this time...

lol. go away troll. u blind or what ?
The only troll in this thread is you. Please vacate the premises.

micahdg

Jul 29, 2019
Please. Share the CORRECT way to update.
I decompress the updated modpack into a new folder, then move the world folder over to the new directory. Each time I changed a config, I wrote down the file name so that when it comes time to update, I compare the edited and new configs and apply changes where necessary. Then I start it up.