Remind me again why you thought a Saltpeter Factory would be easy?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Make an automated, self-sustaining Saltpeter factory, they said. It'll be fun, they said ...

2013-02-08_134257_zps5477b12a.png

The "cage" seen at the top is an tier 5 Enderman spawner which kills with Quicksand, along with a floor of Transposers. A lot of that RP2 wiring is to make sure the right ratios of Cells go to the right places. A bit of the wiring on the right Stone Brick platform doesn't work as intended, but it works. (Mainly, the two Regulators' signals get all mixed up instead of only somewhat interfering with each other, which was what I wanted. That is, I wanted a bit of interference, but not the level there is. I plan to fix this and upload new pics when I can.)

Reactions: CrafterOfMines57

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I whipped this up in about 10 minutes. I'm sure it could be made much more compact by using either enderchests for item transport or more advanced translocators, or routers. (Or golems. Golems are amazing for automating GT stuff.) But I wanted to keep it simple to give you a general idea.

Input enderpearls at the top left, output saltpeter at the right. All enderchests use the same combination. Feed them about four stacks of cells to start the system. All excess cells are getting extracted at the bottom, if you want to keep any of them feel free to sort them out.

2013-02-08_21.25.27.png

Top right sorting machine:
2013-02-08_21.15.59.png

Bottom sorting machine:
2013-02-08_21.16.02.png

The advanced buffer in the top right is set to insert stuff into slot 2 of the autocrafting table. Everything else is just normal translocators (and one small buffer on top of the electrolyzer).

Isn't GregTech amazing? :D

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm. Haven't gotten into GT Translocators or Buffers, probably worth looking into based on the plentiful setups I've seen using them. \Works out

And I like the idea with the Sorting Machines, hadn't thought of that. Just used some RP2 Regulators with a (bleep) of a lot of wiring.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
The sorting machines are actually quite the kludge, it wouldn't work if either set of cells (the ones we want to keep and the ones we want to throw away) was a subset of the other. Although you could still avoid a regulator by using two columns of a sorting machine in the same mode and some colored tubes to split the stuff up.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
The sorting machines are actually quite the kludge, it wouldn't work if either set of cells (the ones we want to keep and the ones we want to throw away) was a subset of the other. Although you could still avoid a regulator by using two columns of a sorting machine in the same mode and some colored tubes to split the stuff up.

Hmm, another interesting idea. Sorting machines are a lot more versatile than I thought!

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
also try out the advanced regulator+advanced buffer and electric sorter..

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I thought about that, but I don't see where they could help in this particular setup. You kinda need to sort out the specific ratios of items, which the GT machines can't do by themselves.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
And I like the idea with the Sorting Machines, hadn't thought of that. Just used some RP2 Regulators with a (bleep) of a lot of wiring.

I've been trying to get a regulator to work with a squeezer, for 2x phosphor + sand to make lava. Squeezer has nine inventory slots, and if either one or the other product fills all nine, the machine will wedge.

Well, the regulator also has 9 inventory slots and _the_exact_same_problem_.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Haha, I found out you can pulverize enderpearls into dust. Updated setup:
2013-02-08_21.53.38.png

Isn't TE amazing? :D

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I've been trying to get a regulator to work with a squeezer, for 2x phosphor + sand to make lava. Squeezer has nine inventory slots, and if either one or the other product fills all nine, the machine will wedge.

Well, the regulator also has 9 inventory slots and _the_exact_same_problem_.

You need to put the items also in the left inventory of the regulator, that way it will only ever keep that many in its buffer, and reject all other.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
You need to put the items also in the left inventory of the regulator, that way it will only ever keep that many in its buffer, and reject all other.

The way I read the redpower wiki is it will accept any item that matches the left, and it works that way. I put two phosphor, one sand in the left. Two phosphor, one sand on the right.

It accepts any and all sand or phosphor in any quantity, to the point where it will fill up with a single type. If it does have both types, it can inject the proper ratio into the squeezer, but I could just as well not have the regulator there.

2013-02-08_19.35.26.png

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I can't replicate this at all, could you post a screenshot of the setup without the GUI showing? My suspicion is that something is trying to put items into the regulator from a side, that's what causes this.