Release Cycle Thoughts

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

hutchkc

Jul 29, 2019
Over the past year or so I’ve noticed several battles over when to update/wait for new versions. Mojang looks to be putting out quarterly updates ATM and that’s driving the changes. We always come back to people arguing over updating quick and world compatibility.

Personally I’m in the camp of update when ready and who cares if not compatible with the last version as I always restart a new world. However I can see why a lot of people don’t want to do that. So my question to FTB and in general is why not do what the Linux community has done for ages, making a long term version and latest release version.

Using 1.5 as an example, we could set that up for the LTR and it wouldn’t update except six months/yearly/whatever. Versions 1.6, 1.7, 1.8 that come out during the interim …. would not be world compatible with 1.5 nor each other. When the time for the next LTR is due try to make it world compatible to 1.5 or add a utility to convert ids.

That way we split/synch at regular intervals and should ease the modpack creation for interim releases as you don’t have to worry about compatibility except for the LTR. The interim releases could also be used as a testbed to see if a mod is good enough for the LTR with balance, fun, compatibility, etc. That way the player can choose if they want to update maybe once/twice a year and have world compatibility or the latest/greatest with no guarantee the worlds are compatible.

Anyway, just my $0.02, and wanted to see what everyone thinks.

Gimply Goose

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure how something like this would work. There are lots of things FTB has limited influence to control. One of those things is when mod authors release new content, not to mention the version the content is on. I don't see how you can just work past that by setting a date.

Something like this sounds idealist to me. It wouldn't work because of Murphy and his dang law.