redstone engine vs magmatic for pumping?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Peterpeter234

Jul 29, 2019
ok i tried pump lava but i found out that magmatic were better but is there any else engine thats cheaper and as good ?
the redstone engines were in the red state when tested :)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
wil magmatic blow up if used on pump o_O? ps i use lava :p
Magmatic Engines will not blow up. They will throttle down if power usage is low and if there is not anything that uses the power if will freeze up, requiring a hit with a crescent hammer/wrench to run again(or pick it up and place it down again). You can use BC gates to turn the engines off when there is no need for the power to avoid this completely.

Magmatic Dynamos will also throttle down if power usage is low, to a minimum but not stop entirely. They will not blow up or freeze up but continue to produce reduced power even if nothing is consuming it.

But usually people will do just fine with 4x redstone engines powering the pump. It is slow but steady and will support quite a bit of lava usage.

Peterpeter234

Jul 29, 2019
well i got around 45-50 geothermal generators and about 11 magmatic engines sucking lava :p should i get another pump another 2 liquid tesseracts ?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
well i got around 45-50 geothermal generators and about 11 magmatic engines sucking lava :p should i get another pump another 2 liquid tesseracts ?
No. A BC pump is practically unlimited in its pumping speed(it all depends on the power you feed it), and a tesseract had no bandwidth, so I dont see any reason to make another pump or 1 more tesseract(Tesseracts can share channels, so you would only have needed to create one more). And what you got running wont really cause that much of a lava usage.

Try the pump out with redstone engines. If it cant keep up, then replace one of the 4 engines with a Magmatic engine. And like I already said, if you have problems with it freezing up, then turn it on and off with BC gates depending on if the pump has work or not.

Reactions: Peterpeter234

Peterpeter234

Jul 29, 2019
No. A BC pump is practically unlimited in its pumping speed(it all depends on the power you feed it), and a tesseract had no bandwidth, so I dont see any reason to make another pump or 1 more tesseract(Tesseracts can share channels, so you would only have needed to create one more). And what you got running wont really cause that much of a lava usage.

Try the pump out with redstone engines. If it cant keep up, then replace one of the 4 engines with a Magmatic engine. And like I already said, if you have problems with it freezing up, then turn it on and off with BC gates depending on if the pump has work or not.
Thanks !! :D

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Damn, just how much lava do you need?

Like rhn said, 4x redstone engines, 2x levers, 1x pump, opaque liquiducts if you wish, and a paired up Ender Tank will fill up a max sized RailCraft Iron Tank in no time, and keep many Magmatic Dynamos running with ease. Just make sure to chunk load the pump area in the Nether, and if need be, the tank area in your overworld. Many folks forget this and then wonder why their tanks are not filling with lava.

If you need more power than this, lava is probably not for you, look into reactors :)

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
On previous worlds i've had towers of 50+ magmatic dynamos fed by a single pump surrounded by 4 redstone engines. The only time it ever had trouble keeping up was when it had sucked the local area dry and needed resetting.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
i use magmatic (engines) buttt is dynamos better :D ???

In 1.6+ dynamos are probably your best bet. A bunch of mods use RF (the power system TE3 uses now) and not many use MJ any more.

And those mods still using MJ, like forestry and railcraft, can be powered using redstone energy conduits, which convert RF to MJ internally as needed :)

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
On previous worlds i've had towers of 50+ magmatic dynamos fed by a single pump surrounded by 4 redstone engines. The only time it ever had trouble keeping up was when it had sucked the local area dry and needed resetting.

The geo gens suck down quite a lot of lava. In IC2, they aren't really meant to be "end-game" power, but more of an intermediate power-gen solution between charcoal and nuclear. They also serve as back-up generators with a generous cache of lava ready to go.

Peterpeter234

Jul 29, 2019
Powering a Mass/Matter Fab. ?
no i havent even crafted one yet :p im powering all my machines + 12 oc in macerator and furnace soo that takes alot of power + i have a hv chager that also needs power and then i got 2 mfsu and a auto macerator and furnace machine[DOUBLEPOST=1405531504][/DOUBLEPOST]
In 1.6+ dynamos are probably your best bet. A bunch of mods use RF (the power system TE3 uses now) and not many use MJ any more.

And those mods still using MJ, like forestry and railcraft, can be powered using redstone energy conduits, which convert RF to MJ internally as needed :)
just found out the dynamos dont exist in ftb unleased but the magmatic engine does :)

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
no i havent even crafted one yet :p im powering all my machines + 12 oc in macerator and furnace soo that takes alot of power + i have a hv chager that also needs power and then i got 2 mfsu and a auto macerator and furnace machine[DOUBLEPOST=1405531504][/DOUBLEPOST]
just found out the dynamos dont exist in ftb unleased but the magmatic engine does :)

Ah, in 1.5 packs you can still use MJ engines with redstone energy conduits.

And yeah you can still power everything with a single pump and 4 redstone engines ;)