Redpower successor?

SuperSplit

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm sure that everyone pretty much knows that Eloraam hasn't been working hard/updating her mod, and her mod isn't open sourced, so what I'm wondering is if someone is making a replacement for redpower, or is making a similar mod, because there is just problems with the vanilla redstone taking up too much space in machines, and being a pain in the but to work with. I also heard some news saying there might be a new mod called Project Red that might replace it, but I know nothing about it and I don't know if its worth checking out, and I know nothing about other mods that could be successors to redpower, so if anyone has information that could be useful to me and the ftb community, please comment about it in this thread.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
https://twitter.com/TheRealEloraam/status/344632504143208448
Just saying.. i would realy advice people stop reading about other people say about others and go to the source instead. With the time it's taking im sure shes going straight to 1.6
you just said for people to only take facts from the source and then you say she's probably going to 1.6...

Anyways if anyone is interested, I have a Computercraft Logic Gates program in my signature. it also has a less laggier timer.

It would be awesome if out of the blue Elo comes out with her next update and it's got more content than we could imagine... and then we would never question whether she is developing

SuperSplit

Jul 29, 2019
Yes she did post that, but that was over a month ago. Everyone thinks shes lying because she bides her time and all she has to do is port it to 1.5/1.6, I feel as if she touches it, gets bored and doesnt touch it for months. Everyone has pretty much abandoned hope and are looking to new mods like Project Red to replace it. She obviously knows that we all are waiting for her, and the ftb makers have been trying to get word of her, but she doesnt say anything. Redpower is simply over and by the time she finishes it (if she does finish it), it will be too late!

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I personally like RP2. And, I do hope she is working on it. I just wish she would at least tweet more often or something. A little communication from her would go a long way in keeping community support for her mod. Without it.... Meh.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Yes she did post that, but that was over a month ago. Everyone thinks shes lying because she bides her time and all she has to do is port it to 1.5/1.6,
Whoa. Stop. Right here.

Congratulations, your ignorance on the sheer amount of work she will have to do to update to 1.6.x has been amply demonstrated. Do you know how many hundreds of textures she has in her mod? That's one of the reasons she had so many troubles going to 1.5.x in the first place, and 1.6.x has only made this worse.

I feel as if she touches it, gets bored and doesnt touch it for months. Everyone has pretty much abandoned hope and are looking to new mods like Project Red to replace it. She obviously knows that we all are waiting for her, and the ftb makers have been trying to get word of her, but she doesnt say anything. Redpower is simply over and by the time she finishes it (if she does finish it), it will be too late!
I'd rather she spend time working on the mod than spending time talking about it.

However, there are ALREADY replacements for her mod. MFR's Rednet, for example, pretty much replaces her entire Logic component. Immibis has a fantastic microblock mod. Most of the machines she introduced were to try and emulate sorting functions into her tube system, which AE completely obviates. Her Computer is designed to automate everything, which again, is obviated already.

The alternatives are already out there. You just have to use them.

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
I think Elo is still working on it, but she has a demanding job unfortunately. ComputerCraft is an amazing mod and it is practically a complete replacement for RP2 Digital; You can program your own redstone. ComputerCraft also replaces many of the machines like the block breakers and deployers. Immibis Microblocks can pretty much replace RP2's Microblocks. For marble you can use vanilla quartz and for basalt you can use TConstruct's seared bricks.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
For marble you can use vanilla quartz and for basalt you can use TConstruct's seared bricks.

Or White and Black stone from MFR. Or Quarried and Abyssal Stone from Railcraft. Or Colored Bricks from ExtraUtils. There's pretty much no reason to not have bricks in any color you want anymore. :p

Whoa. Stop. Right here.
Congratulations, your ignorance on the sheer amount of work she will have to do to update to 1.6.x has been amply demonstrated. Do you know how many hundreds of textures she has in her mod? That's one of the reasons she had so many troubles going to 1.5.x in the first place, and 1.6.x has only made this worse.

And that's JUST textures! Updating a mod is such a massive pain because, as most people have noticed, when Minecraft updates, MODS BREAK! A lot. It's not just a matter of waving your coding hands at the screen and going "ABRACADABRA!" Changes in Minecraft's code have to be accounted for and MCP's de-obfuscation seems to change every damn time, so you have to pick over your mod with a fine-toothed comb to fix each and every error. I had a small mod I was working on that worked just fine in 1.3 and then spit out 100+ compiler errors when recompiled for 1.4. Imagine how much harder it is for a gargantuan mod like Redpower.

Reactions: PeggleFrank

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
Lets not get on the Elo train again remember what happened last time rushed version of RP with bugs which is very unlike her, & all the crap she had to put up with from a certain site that refused to leave her in peace, its a wonder she even updates at all after that fiasco, plus should she desire to quit & take her code with here, I would respect that too.

But all that said yep I too am a RP lover, there are clones all over atm, some are pure clones of this bit or that bit, & some that are taking some PR ideas & improving on it like rednet, one I just love for its easy of use yet powerful logic, there are lots out there google will reward your efforts.

There is only one Elo...

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
xqgMste.jpg

No it's not.

Shneeky might've been able to wrestle it into kinder prose (the polite rephrase I would have is "you may not be aware", but that isn't moving the needle that far), but the point is fair. Porting something like RP2 between versions is a pretty big task, and Eloraam's RL work schedule does tend to get in the way of that. Casual observation may glance over those things. =)

dakamojo

Jul 29, 2019
https://twitter.com/TheRealEloraam/status/344632504143208448
Just saying.. i would realy advice people stop reading about other people say about others and go to the source instead. With the time it's taking im sure shes going straight to 1.6

May 20th RP2PR5B2 is released for MC 1.2.5

Eloraam @TheRealEloraam Aug 1st 2012
"Before anyone asks, I will be porting RP to 1.3."

Eloraam @TheRealEloraam Oct 28th 2012
"All development of RP has been moved to 1.4.2 as of yesterday, and it works as well as the 1.3.2 port did. Some bugs left to squish."

Eloraam @TheRealEloraam Nov 17th 2012
"It feels weird to update to a version that's not released yet, but I just moved RP development to 1.4.5. Getting down to the last few bugs."

Eloraam @TheRealEloraam Dec 20th 2012
"I'm going to give it a couple days to see if other mods follow for 1.4.6, but I have a working 1.4.5 version that I could package up."

December 21st RP2PR6 is released for MC 1.4.6

mushroom taco

Jul 29, 2019
No it's not.

Shneeky might've been able to wrestle it into kinder prose (the polite rephrase I would have is "you may not be aware", but that isn't moving the needle that far), but the point is fair. Porting something like RP2 between versions is a pretty big task, and Eloraam's RL work schedule does tend to get in the way of that. Casual observation may glance over those things. =)
My apologies, I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that.
Removing

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
It's okay, it's just in my interest to nudge people away from thinking the forums are for cage match entertainment. =)

Reactions: SpitefulFox

SuperSplit

Jul 29, 2019
Whoa. Stop. Right here.

I'd rather she spend time working on the mod than spending time talking about it.

However, there are ALREADY replacements for her mod. MFR's Rednet, for example, pretty much replaces her entire Logic component. Immibis has a fantastic microblock mod. Most of the machines she introduced were to try and emulate sorting functions into her tube system, which AE completely obviates. Her Computer is designed to automate everything, which again, is obviated already.

The alternatives are already out there. You just have to use them.
Maybe it isn't that easy to change from 1.4.7 to 1.5.2 or 1.5.2 to 1.6, but it shouldn't take half a year to do so, and she could always get help from someone else to port it to a newer version, but she refuses help from anyone. And yes, there are replacements for her mod, but they aren't the same.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Maybe it isn't that easy to change from 1.4.7 to 1.5.2 or 1.5.2 to 1.6, but it shouldn't take half a year to do so, and she could always get help from someone else to port it to a newer version, but she refuses help from anyone. And yes, there are replacements for her mod, but they aren't the same.
No they aren't. In most cases, the replacements are, in fact, superior.

As far as the rest of your post, it is not even worth bothering to take apart. I've never heard such rubbish in my life.

Reactions: RedBoss

SuperSplit

Jul 29, 2019
As you said some of the replacements are better in some parts, like the computercraft computers are a lot better, but some parts of her mod just can't be redone, like the crafting recipes for the replacements are going to be different, and some of their mechanics won't work the same way. The only thing that I really would like to know is some information from Eloraam, or about what's happening with her mod. I don't know if she is dumping rp2, or what, but she's leaving her mod users hanging. As jacamojo said there is only one Eloraam and none of the replacements will be the same.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
The discussion of Eloraam leaving the userbase hanging always reminds me of (warning, minor coarse language) Neil Gaiman's response to a fan of George R R Martin's who is frustrated at the pace at which he writes new novels. I think it may be even more applicable as this is a hobby for her, not a profession.

Reactions: SpitefulFox