Reactorcraft turbine problem

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so I am playing on monster 1.1.2 with dragon api 23d, reactorcraft 23c and rotarycraft 23b (why ftb team why).

I am having some problem with my turbine running. Every 1-5 seconds, the whole setup (including the dynamometer and the induction generator do a 90° turn while creating a good ton of lag of the server

Here is a video of it

Any idea on what is causing this? (Kofkof @Reika )

Reactions: OrsonThinks&Talks

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
As far as I know that's a block update issue because of all of the steam. I currently can't remember the name of the block, but it's made to catch the steam, recover the water and prevent the issues.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Have you customized the sync interval from server to client in the Rotarycraft config file? It's on 1 by default, try upping it to 20.

That really helped calm down my issues with block updates.

Also it's my understanding that you can't "stack" turbines to run off the same steam. Input it to the small end at the axle, and then have a *solid* block one block below the axle on the large end to halt the steam. That should also have the effect of removing the steam block. Too many steam blocks could also cause lag while they fly to build height, given one spawns every two ticks at full power.

Edit: Sorry I just noticed you do have separate steam grates and you're not stacking. It's hard to see Youtube in a remote screen. ;]

Try the sync interval and block the ends to kill the steam blocks.

Reactions: madnewmy and YX33A

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
As far as I know that's a block update issue because of all of the steam. I currently can't remember the name of the block, but it's made to catch the steam, recover the water and prevent the issues.

On a server :( Will ask for it

I will try with condenser since the steam seems to be the issue, I was thinking at first it was a problem between electricraft and reactorcraft since the induction generator creates a load of lag according to opis

Edit: meant to also answer the other :p would that config be server side or client side?@Demosthenek

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
I believe the configs have to match. On our server they are set server side and client side.

Again, try blocking the steam exit so the used steam blocks stop when they hit the wall.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
On a server :( Will ask for it

I will try with condenser since the steam seems to be the issue, I was thinking at first it was a problem between electricraft and reactorcraft since the induction generator creates a load of lag according to opis

Edit: meant to also answer the other :p would that config be server side or client side?@Demosthenek
This config option does nothing clientside.

Also, you are using an out of date version. While this issue is not caused by an old version - see my FAQ for details - I maintain a zero technical support policy on old versions.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
@madnewmy, I'm 99% sure you're suffering the consequences of runaway steam blocks. You have to hold the turbine's hand a bit here for it to play nice.

You have a few options:
1) Place an array of condensers above the turbine output; they'll capture the steam. Note that they have a max capacity, so you'll need to pump it out and either cycle it or void it.
2) (Preferred), place a block directly below where you would typically put a shaft leading out of the turbine. It automatically kills all steam output.
3) Use the HP Turbine if you're creating enough steam for it (You are if you can power 4 LP turbines). Its a beast to build but its design is 4000x superior (no runaway steam blocks)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Wanted to give you an example of #2. Pic of my turbine room. Note one block below the output dynamometer. Hope this helps.
2014-06-22_00.45.19.jpg

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
It's odd, I just built 2 LP turbines and encased them in glass (well, there could be bats). I've got a solid steel block in that spot, and yet the glass is catching steam. Debating replacing some of the glass in front, or making a "smokestack" up out of the base from the glass cage.[DOUBLEPOST=1403419810][/DOUBLEPOST]@Reika: As a server admin, thanks for making your config server side specific! I frequently have to distribute the entire config directory to my players for minor changes in other mods. I'm never sure which ones require it (as have in the past) and which don't.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
thanks I will try that :D
Btw, the HP turbine need an encasement right? just any blocks around it??
Nope, you just construct it as shown here.

It's odd, I just built 2 LP turbines and encased them in glass (well, there could be bats). I've got a solid steel block in that spot, and yet the glass is catching steam. Debating replacing some of the glass in front, or making a "smokestack" up out of the base from the glass cage.
i could be wrong but I thought I saw some steam escape once too. Just make sure it will (very) quickly find its way to a condenser and you'll be fine.

Note that it seems to need to go "up" into the condenser; bumping into it from the side isn't good enough.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
@Reika: As a server admin, thanks for making your config server side specific! I frequently have to distribute the entire config directory to my players for minor changes in other mods. I'm never sure which ones require it (as have in the past) and which don't.
This one is serverside only because of technical reasons - synchronization packets are sent from the server to the clients, not the reverse - not because of any sort of design choice.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Would that explain the "stutter"? That the values on the screen are correct when the sync packet is received, but that the client is making the wrong calculation locally until items in the power train are opened?

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
putting a block fixed partially the problem, will ask the admin to change the configs :)

I changed the electricraft stuff, according to opis it was very laggy :/

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
putting a block fixed partially the problem, will ask the admin to change the configs :)

I changed the electricraft stuff, according to opis it was very laggy :/
Hooked straight up to a turbine, it is forced to continuously update the entire wire network. It was never designed for constantly-varying power input.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Hooked straight up to a turbine, it is forced to continuously update the entire wire network. It was never designed for constantly-varying power input.

good to know :p I was using them because i knew the power would vary and I shaft junction were not a good idea :p

but i realized they all run at the same speed so shaft junction is useful :p