ReactorCraft again - This time with Breeders

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Extended my power generation again.

Here's my updated nuclear power station. On the left you can see my 16-core fission reactor closest to you (powering an HP and LP turbine). These days its running on Plutonium. You can make out some turbines to the right.
2014-06-15_22.16.40.jpg

Close up on the far end. These are my newest addition.
Closest: A 16-core Breeder Reactor with sodium heaters, creating plutonium
Middle: 2 heat exchangers boiling steam for an HP Turbine
Farthest: 1 heat exchanger boiling ammonia for 2 LP turbines
2014-06-15_22.16.58.jpg

Reverse of the same room. The heat exchangers are pretty nifty btw.
2014-06-15_22.17.15.jpg

A mostly-useless peek at most of the plumbing beneath the reactors. There's another level below where I can make more sodium if necessary, but its currently looping properly. The two reservoirs at the very back carry ammonia and sodium respectively.
2014-06-15_22.17.34.jpg

Another peek at the plumbing; closeup of the 16-core fission.
2014-06-15_22.17.41.jpg

Here's the power generation room.

Currently there's 5 turbines, two HP, three LP. Two of the LP are mostly hidden behind an HP. I may re-organize this but the HP turbines are freaking annoying to build.
2014-06-15_22.18.03.jpg

We're creating a good amount of power. That's 22.071GW (3.9M RF/T)
Approximately 1.9GW of that is because of the Ammonia powered LPs.
I'm not sure I'll keep the ammonia going; I can't seem to loop it reliably (either that or 8 reservoirs isn't enough)
2014-06-15_22.18.09.jpg

Close up of an ammonia-driven LP turbine.
I originally wanted to hook up the HP to ammonia and found out after the fact that its not enabled. Argh. As you can see however its producing 1.9GW.
2014-06-15_22.18.21.jpg

Lastly, my power storage "room".

Its literally one block, because, well, Aurora Batteries.

Both wires you see there are outputs. There's an input coming from the left (turbines) through the wall.
2014-06-15_22.18.40.jpg

Not sure what I think of the sodium heaters. I might try converting it to a steam reactor and see if I get similar output. I just have to run the reactor too damn hot to keep the sodium flowing.

I had two meltdowns producing this series. Thank goodness for backups and my complete willingness to cheat.

Last edited:

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
I like your set-up. Seems pretty efficient space-wise. Oh and nice power output on that main turbine :)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I like your set-up. Seems pretty efficient space-wise. Oh and nice power output on that main turbine :)
Thx kindly sir.

Sadly this is my best effort at aesthetics; I have absolutely zero knack for creative building.

Hope someone else is working on ReactorCraft builds; I'd love to see some setups.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Got the area cleared out for my setup but haven't progressed to the point of building it yet. My plan is to build a pbr. 4 sets of 8 cores. Plenty of power for a one man operation :p

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Got the area cleared out for my setup but haven't progressed to the point of building it yet. My plan is to build a pbr. 4 sets of 8 cores. Plenty of power for a one man operation :p
I wonder if PBRs work with sodium heaters instead of C02. I suspect Reika blocked it but, dang, sodium heaters are hard to heat up to boiling point safely with my breeder reactor.

Dunno if you're aware but I believe Reika nerfed PBRs a bit recently.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
But but but...more power!

I actually know what you mean; I don't touch a fraction of my power output yet. But I have ambitions to create things like a Diamond Factory (which is silly when I can bore for diamonds but whatever).

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty impressive. After I finish up AgS, It looks like I might have to start taking a look at Reika's mods. They seem cool.

Reactions: Pyure
Jul 29, 2019
Thx kindly sir.

Sadly this is my best effort at aesthetics; I have absolutely zero knack for creative building.

Hope someone else is working on ReactorCraft builds; I'd love to see some setups.
Looks pretty awesome. Reactorcraft looks complicated before you get into it. I tested out a fusion reactor a while ago. In the future I'll be building a functioning reactor with aesthetics in mind for my own projects :D

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Looks pretty awesome. Reactorcraft looks complicated before you get into it. I tested out a fusion reactor a while ago. In the future I'll be building a functioning reactor with aesthetics in mind for my own projects :D
Saw your showcase post. I look forward to seeing what you can do with a fission or fusion reactor in your cyberpunk world; I have little doubt it will look amazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Padfoote

thorium_engineer

Jul 29, 2019
This looks great, Pyure. I keep having trouble getting the HP Turbine to render. Every time I add a new layer it seems to freak out.

Anyface, your setup looks beast. I have a pebble bed and two small breeders whose primary output is deuterium and tritium. It's honestly not worth posting pics. BUT, at Georgia Tech we're starting a new student server using Tech World 2 plus a few mods. I'm gonna' try to see if we can't show out and put you to shame.

Also, quick question: Is your main power transfer via electricraft? Or do you use RF, too?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
This looks great, Pyure. I keep having trouble getting the HP Turbine to render. Every time I add a new layer it seems to freak out.

Thanks kindly. Can you show pics of your attempt at the HP? Couple things: It does need its fair share of room, and Reika has improved its construction reliability in the last version or two. Be sure to update.

Anyface, your setup looks beast. I have a pebble bed and two small breeders whose primary output is deuterium and tritium. It's honestly not worth posting pics.
I disagree, I hadn't heard of anyone making tritium with a breeder reactor! I'm genuinely curious how it looks, and why you did a PBR and a breeder (which makes plutonium) but did NOT make a hot water reactor :)
[/quote]

BUT, at Georgia Tech we're starting a new student server using Tech World 2 plus a few mods. I'm gonna' try to see if we can't show out and put you to shame.
Hope you do!

Also, quick question: Is your main power transfer via electricraft? Or do you use RF, too?
My entire power grid is ElectriCraft; it has better capacity than anything else (both storage and power transfer)

I convert ElectriCraft->RotaryCraft->RF when I need it (TE3 machines or wireless transfer via tesseracts to my borers)

thorium_engineer

Jul 29, 2019
Very nice. I did a PBR as my first power reactor so I wouldn't have to enrich uranium. The PBR maxed out one turbine + turbine generator, thus meeting my power needs for the near term, so I brought online the breeders in order to work on deuterium/tritium for a fusion reactor. They lend a bit more power, and I'm only just starting to use a second turbine + turbine generator.
I'm stockpiling quite a bit of plutonium, so I'll probably use it in a conventional Plutonium-fueled LWR.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Very nice. I did a PBR as my first power reactor so I wouldn't have to enrich uranium. The PBR maxed out one turbine + turbine generator, thus meeting my power needs for the near term, so I brought online the breeders in order to work on deuterium/tritium for a fusion reactor. They lend a bit more power, and I'm only just starting to use a second turbine + turbine generator.
I'm stockpiling quite a bit of plutonium, so I'll probably use it in a conventional Plutonium-fueled LWR.
nice. The same 16-core design functions as a BWR (boiling water reactor, same as your LWR I guess?) and easily powers an HP Turbine and at least one LP turbine.

At the end of the day, steam doesn't magically disappear, so its irrelevant how many LP turbines you add: you get that power eventually anyway.

thorium_engineer

Jul 29, 2019
Behold! Pictures!

http://imgur.com/a/V0rIq

I included brief descriptions for each pic so you don't have to go back and forth. Also because I don't know how to add pictures in a post (first time on a forum).

So, Pyure, about those BWR/LWR (Light Water Reactors). I'm actually a Nuclear Engineering Major at Tech. I personally am not fond of light water reactors because of their wastefulness and use of water as a coolant/moderator. I'm trying to go into development on Molten Salt Reactors which use Fluoride or Chloride salts as a coolant and to carry fuel. Better fuel economy, no icky fuel rod reprocessing, and much much less waste.

Still deciding whether to go with a LWR for the plutonium, though. TBH I don't really need the power right now, and I'm pretty solid on Deuterium and Tritium for the moment.

Reactions: pizzawolf14

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Behold! Pictures!

http://imgur.com/a/V0rIq

I included brief descriptions for each pic so you don't have to go back and forth. Also because I don't know how to add pictures in a post (first time on a forum).

So, Pyure, about those BWR/LWR (Light Water Reactors). I'm actually a Nuclear Engineering Major at Tech. I personally am not fond of light water reactors because of their wastefulness and use of water as a coolant/moderator. I'm trying to go into development on Molten Salt Reactors which use Fluoride or Chloride salts as a coolant and to carry fuel. Better fuel economy, no icky fuel rod reprocessing, and much much less waste.

Still deciding whether to go with a LWR for the plutonium, though. TBH I don't really need the power right now, and I'm pretty solid on Deuterium and Tritium for the moment.
Love the pics sir.

The sodium cycle is fun to work with in ReC. I have a hard time determining if its more or less efficient than a LWR in and of itself. And unlike ammonia, it cycles quickly enough to appreciate that your loop is functioning correctly.

Its nice to stockpile hot sodium, but an unfortunate exploit of the system is that there's no heat loss: you can cache hot sodium indefinitely, similarly to how you may have cached lava (ridiculous).

I can't imagine any scenario where Reika could improve this, other than restricting the liquid to his own containers and bleeding off the contents over time. And folks would raise an uproar over that.

Regarding power: just about any ReC reactor you assemble is going to handle your needs permanently. At this point, if you're like me, you're just assembling new ones for fun.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm looking at making a fission reactor as my next project, up from my PBR.

Given all the reactors generate heat, is it correct that you can use water boilers directly, as well as staging via molten salt or co2?

I've built a tiny 4 core test reactor hooked to a co2 heat exchanger in creative to test, and while it's complaining (steam noises and particles), it hasn't melted. I'm not sure that's healthy though.