reactor craft and rotary craft (mild rant)

Blue

Jul 29, 2019
dont get me wrong there very cool looking mods but as a server admin all i see as i watching these mod spotlights is lag lag lag lag lag lag...what is that a reactor OMG its lagging in a flat world single player game

the worst is trying to tell players no who don't understand the concept ya if i add reactor craft you and 5 others plus that one guy that will build 5 of them will lag the server

if there was a sense bat to bonk the players with to understand that they dont put any financing or time and effort to keep the server running stable.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
So? if a mod has visuals or something that does induce lag, then there should be a small warning in the mods FAQ/Download area. Then it's down to server owners/pack makers/single players to decide if that mod can be run on the equipment.

Some of these mods are amazing, and naturally they will hurt. The fault is not with the mod (usually), but with Minecrafts game engine.

Reactions: YX33A

LoGaL

Aug 4, 2013
or mbe the modder could do a version that is "server friendly " with reduced animations ecc ecc

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
Almost all the lag from these two mods is purely FPS lag as it uses complex models and animations for a lot of it. Which has little to no effect on server lag as the moment you leave the render range of them the lag goes away. Which is why it is always recommended to build any thing like a reactor craft reactor in a mystcraft age or other complex machine.

Now I am not saying that they do not cause some server lag as they can do so but it is mainly due to the massive amount of equations that they preform to function. Since they are based on real world physics and science to a insane degree to be as close to real world as possible. Which can result in quite a bit of cpu usage and possible lag if your servers cpu is weak.

Reactions: Wagon153

LoGaL

Aug 4, 2013
i am quite sure reactorcraft fusion reactor is GPU lag, if it isn't the case , got nothing more to add since i am a very bad programmer

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
i am quite sure reactorcraft fusion reactor is GPU lag, if it isn't the case , got nothing more to add since i am a very bad programmer
It is, but there is nothing Reika can do about it due to the limitations of Minecraft's rendering engine. He can't make the rendering simpler as that could potentially make it harder to build. Same applies to all the rest of his machines.

Blue

Jul 29, 2019
that reactor has hundreds and hundreds of plasma entities running through it. entities add to slow tps

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
that reactor has hundreds and hundreds of plasma entities running through it. entities add to slow tps
It's also incredibly expensive. Trust me, you don't have to worry about more then one of them being made, especially when one alone produces enough power to power a server of 30 people, and still have plenty left.

LoGaL

Aug 4, 2013
if i recall well from the post reika made, it was meant to be something like a "community project"

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It was gonna be my next personal project, but yeah, its pretty daunting.

I just finished a simple nuke reactor last night (finally), but its going to take me a long time just to get that relatively simple project running smoothly to my tastes before I can even touch fusion.

Reactions: abculatter_2

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
It doesn't help that, to Reika's own admission, the rendering lag problem lies not really in his mod, but in Minecraft itself, and more specifically, what I can only assume is a horrid kludge-fest of a rendering engine.

SinisterBro :3

Jul 29, 2019
It doesn't help that, to Reika's own admission, the rendering lag problem lies not really in his mod, but in Minecraft itself, and more specifically, what I can only assume is a horrid kludge-fest of a rendering engine.

Alot of minecrafts engines are shit,
(Sound,Rendering)
Even the AI makes unneeded ticks every second.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
The project for Minecraft 1.9 for Mojang should be re writing that crap that is the rendering engine. And while they are at it, perhaps the sound engine as well. Yes, both served it very well in its early days, but now that it's getting later into development, they should start optimizing the rest of their code.

LoGaL

Aug 4, 2013
mbe also multithread minecraft? in the era of quad cores it would be at least nice

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
If I am not mistaken, they already did the sound and graphics engine rewrites for 1.7. Also speaking of rewrites they are rewriting the inventory system for 1.8.

mbe also multithread minecraft? in the era of quad cores it would be at least nice

I think that is also coming with 1.8 or maybe 1.9 as Jeb's been experimenting with it.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
If I am not mistaken, they already did the sound and graphics engine rewrites for 1.7. Also speaking of rewrites they are rewriting the inventory system for 1.8.
I think that is also coming with 1.8 or maybe 1.9 as Jeb's been experimenting with it.
This is all excellent info if its reliable.

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
Is it possible for the modders to make "covers" for the machines that do nothing but make them into a visually unimpressive Render-friendly blocks?

Blue

Jul 29, 2019
Is it possible for the modders to make "covers" for the machines that do nothing but make them into a visually unimpressive Render-friendly blocks?
some mods add features to turn off pretty stuff like ME can turn off the glow of the cables and Mek the glow for there power cables. both help alot when my base gets really large and crazy to turn it off late game

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
For something like RotaryCraft, that'd likely be very difficult, as you'd have to swap not just textures, but models; the former isn't that hard, but the latter? That'd take some serious work, I'd imagine. Plus, those models are kinda critical to know if things are actually, ya know, working properly.