reactor-breeder

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

kk258966

Jul 29, 2019
can anyone axplain what's a breeder and how it works?

one of my friend is going to use this reactor :

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...vtyat23qsucdxz1l07xnymxri6ukkymwz5of0pzzcyqrk

and he said gonna make a breeder with no heat for it

can anyone explain how does a breeder work?and is there any safe breeder that u can share?
i've saw some breeder but not sure how they work ~and if it's good enough~

and by the way..
i saw this reactor

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...ijdgvz13qh8la4qkn1xr3hn2q7305ojevdwlgr2te2n7k

is it better than the previous one? or not? and does it need to use a breeder?

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
A breeder reactor is one that is specially designed to recharge depleted uranium cells so that you can reuse spent cells or get more out of each uranium. In addition with gregtech you can convert those recharged cells into plutonium and thorium which are amazing alternatives to uranium.

How the the process works is by putting the depleted cells next to good cells which then though their heat recharge the deleted ones. However since it is heat based the colder the reactor is the slower the process will be and the hotter it is running the faster the the breeder will work and the quicker the cells will be recharged. Problem is keeping the breeder safe, as everyone knows a hot reactor is a dangerous one. So you have to carefully balance risk with safety to avoid ending up with a hole where your base used to be.

Another note is that breeders are horrible on their own for energy output so they are best paired with a sperate reactor or two to supply your base.

Unfortunately talonfiremage hates my work computer so I cannot look at your designs.

MushroomDynamo

Jul 29, 2019
Uranium breeding is basically a fancy phrase for uranium recycling. When a uranium cell is used up in a Nuclear Reactor, there's a chance it will leave behind a Near-Depleted Uranium Cell instead of totally destroying itself. You can also craft these with 1 refined uranium and 8 cells, allowing you to multiply your output by slightly higher than 8x if you're also breeding the spent reactor cells you use.

Craft these Near-Depleted Uranium cells with Coal Dust to get Depleted Isotope Cells. When one of these Isotope Cells is next to a fully functioning uranium cell in a reactor (or something else that produces neutron pulses) it will begin to recharge itself. The heat bit is in terms of efficiency--the hotter the reactor, the less pulses the cell requires and therefore the faster it recharges into a Re-Enriched Uranium Cell. At this point, craft it with another Coal Dust to get a regular Uranium Cell.

The key to breeding is that you're probably not going to be producing a lot of power, since hotter is better. Of course, coolant is still important since the cell you're breeding will produce heat but not energy; an ideal breeder has high heat but neutral ΔH, since it can then maintain its high heat level indefinitely.

http://wiki.industrial-craft.net/index.php?title=Nuclear_Reactor#Breeder_reactors for filling in the details I couldn't remember off the top of my head. I don't have any breeder designs on me since I don't use nuclear power--not since CASUCs were barfed on, anyway--but I'm sure they can be found by poking around.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
A breeder converts near-depleted cells back to usable uranium cells. An example would be:
http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...kifkkhw9y9iqsrptd75elt3zkh1nl3vo6oxuce594wl1f

The hotter a breeder is, the faster the cells are recharged. In that example the breeder will be very hot (Because of this there are so many platings to allow that amount of heat). You will need to switch the fully recharged cells with new near depleted ones multiple times.
You can remove all those platings, if you use just a stacksize of 6 with the heating cells (instead of 64), but the yield per thorium will be significantly lower.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
To supply a reactor with fuel you need uranium. You can process uranium in several ways.

If you macerate it to dust and centrifuge it: for 16 uranium dust you get just 16 uranium cells, 1 plutonium, and 4 thorium.
vs
If you compress it you get a uranium ingot.

You have two choices of what to do with that ingot:
Pair it with one empty cells to get a uranium cell --might have to use canning thing if gregtech.

If instead of one cell you craft the ingot with 8 empty cells it will make 8 near depleted uranium cells.

To process depleted cells you have 2 choices. Centrifuge 2 of them for 1 thorium or recharge them to enriched cells using a breeder reactor.

To breed cells, add coal dust to a near depleted cells to get a depleted isotope -- these go in a reactor and make no power, but build up a charge. Put the isotope next to a single fuel cell in a reactor for 10,000 reactor ticks (1 tick per second) and it will convert to a re-enriched isotope. For every 3k heat the reactor has the charge will be multiplied, so it pays to run a breeder with at least some heat. Dual and quad cells supply multiple charges per tick, so 1 quad cell would give 4 charges per tick (quad thorium is very good for this).

With your re-enriched isotope you again have choices:
Add coal to that to get a full uranium cell
vs
centrifuge 8 of them for 4 thorium, 1 plutonium, and 3 near depleted cells

With that the most fuel efficient path is to compress your uranium, then make it into 8x near depleted cells, add coal - enrich isotopes in a breeder, centrifuge -- run the thorium and plutonium in your power reactors and any depleted cells from the reactors or recycled and recharged.

The reactors you posted are actually designed to be run in a group. I believe it is for each 484 EU/t design run two 420 EU/t. Centrifuging their fuel out the 420s will need an extra 4 thorium each cycle, while the 484 will need extra plutonium. So you end up keeping your thorium and plutonium use in balance -- making the most of your fuel.

Here is a little 367 EU/t gregtech breeder i have been working on in the IC2 reactor thread:
http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...4qbzfj7njhh1swr8v5nzsm9upgcbzzc239mx3b3o7pvr4
It runs in balance and can recharge enough cells to run the 400 EU/t reactors.

One thing to learn about heat in the reactor is it is not bad if you design it to run hot. Their is no more risk than in a cold reactor -- if someone (or a creeper) removes a critical component in either reactor they will both blow up. In the current version reactors run the edge so losing even one vent will make one blow fairly quick.

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
I would set up the breeding system that is mentioned in this thread with all those copper heat plates. it costs insane amounts of copper just to set it up, but once it's running, it runs really long.

for heating it up, I'll use a plutonium cell... it breeds a bit, produces a lot of energy, but it also produces a decent amount of extra heat.

by the way, a reactor automatically cools down depending on it's vents, once the reaction is turned off

Chigy87

Jul 29, 2019
I have built this build on a server but it doesnt work as advertised...
http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...4qbzfj7njhh1swr8v5nzsm9upgcbzzc239mx3b3o7pvr4

The EU is off, only ~160 eu/t
The heat is off, i have a thermal monitor in the activation circuit for the reactor so it cuts off above a set temperature. It was 17k and rising untill i set the thermal monitor to cut it off at 16k.
Also, the duration of the cells is off, 25k seconds for thorium and 20k for plutonium.

Can someone help me? this is really confusing...

Edit: I even had the reactor heat exchanger melt a little bit into the second recharge. seems my cutoff circuit can fail when i am not around to keep chunk loaded

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
GregTech has been significantly changed since late March of this year (2013). That reactor planner is /not updated to recent versions of GregTech/, nor will most posts on these forums be accurate to a more recent GregTech version until the last couple weeks (and even then, are rather out-of-date). Greg has significantly reduced the heat, neutron pulse, and power output of thorium, as well as made plutonium significantly farther up on the hot/crazy slide, while Peppe's hybreeder design was based around some unintentional hybrid scaling effects that no longer exist. Unfortunately, the version of GregTech, 2.90h, included in the FTB Ultimate pack is not a very good build and was only ever intended as a short-term test, so thorium is practically useless and buggy. Since that Peppe-designed reactor is very thorium-reliant, it's not going to transition forward very well. Thankfully, 2.90h /does/ have very good plutonium output, so it's not all bad.

Dedicated breeder reactors are usually better bets for the cost, right now, and thankfully you also don't need that much breeder barring very unusual circumstances. This design by Gorzak (or a thorium-fueled variant) can provide an enriched fuel every 360 seconds, which is probably more a reasonable investment until you have several large reactors burning through fuel. You can use the spare components and chambers from your breeder to work toward another reactor.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
MTG-ThreadNecromancer_3198.jpg

Reactions: Poppycocks

Chigy87

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you Gattsuru for your response and explanation, i will use that breeder setup and revert to the tried and true method of trying and hoping it doesnt blow up, probably try out more risky builds in sp creative.

Do those heating cells stop heating up the reactor after reactor reaches amount x 1k heat?

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
Heating cells will turn off after the reactor temperature hits stack size x 1,000 heat. They will still keep heating toward that stack size * 1,000 heat limit even if you cut redstone signal to the reactor, nor will other heating or cooling devices deactivate in that circumstance -- you can melt an OC Heat Vent on a reactor that has no fuel and no redstone signal this way.

If you want to test a reactor configuration, the GregTech computer cube isn't quite as user-friendly as that simulator, but it's available in creative mode and /usually/ is accurate (although it still pays to keep an eye on your reactor through its first few cycles).