Rationale behind certain tree traits being species locked? (+ alveary question)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
I was really looking forward to creating my own sequoia-ish Oak tree only to read in the wiki that girth is species locked. Why limit the creativity of tree-breeding? I don't get the rationale behind this particular limitation.

Does anyone know? This is kind of a bummer as I was hoping to have a collection of smallest, average, and largest for all my trees.

Kocyk

Jul 29, 2019
Girth is inheritable in 1.5 versions of forestry (v2.2 and later i think).

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
Girth is inheritable in 1.5 versions of forestry (v2.2 and later i think).

wooooottttt!

Now what's an easy way to check my forestry version? I'm running the default Mindcrack Pack (1.4.7 I think?)

This is awesome if it is indeed the case!

Kocyk

Jul 29, 2019
In main menu there should be a 'mods' button with list of all mods.
I'm almost sure 1.4.7 runs on 2.0.0.11 version of forestry, before the change to treebreeding.

From forestry changelog thread:

#2.2.0.0
- Changed: Trunk size on trees can now be inherited. That 3x3 cherry tree is now possible!

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
In main menu there should be a 'mods' button with list of all mods.
I'm almost sure 1.4.7 runs on 2.0.0.11 version of forestry, before the change to treebreeding.

From forestry changelog thread:

Bummer. I guess I'll have to wait for the mindcrack pack to catch up.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
If you ever leave your world, then you can start fresh in one of he 1.5 packs floating about, and then trees will be your female dog.

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
If you ever leave your world, then you can start fresh in one of he 1.5 packs floating about, and then trees will be your female dog.

Is it possible to save my current 1.4.7 world and use it in a 1.5 environment? Sorta like "upgrading" to Windows 8 without a clean install. Or is this a disaster waiting to happen?

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Eh, I wouldn't advise it, as you're most likely to end up with a broken world and lots or hearache. You could try it, but make sure to back up your world first, so you can go back to 1.4.7 if everything fails horribly.

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
Eh, I wouldn't advise it, as you're most likely to end up with a broken world and lots or hearache. You could try it, but make sure to back up your world first, so you can go back to 1.4.7 if everything fails horribly.

Thanks. That's what I figured. I guess I'll live with my skinny oak trees for now. I'm also surprised that largest height oak trees do not grow to the height of the sequoia. I'm assuming that these height traits are percentages of some predefined random range number that are specific to trees.

But anyhow, do you happen to know if tree breeding is faster with an alveary? I've googled this and haven't noticed anyone asking this question. Everyone typically uses an apiary for tree breeding but I was wondering if it's faster if done with an alveary.

EDIT: Nevermind, got my answer. Alvearies do not have any impact on pollination speed, just number of bees.

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
Alvearys do however have 3x the range if normal apiarys, so for absolute maximum speed, fill the place with apiarys with aura (air - the ones that make air shards from magic/Thaumic bees - fastest pollination) and then once out of the apiary range is alveary for maximum effect.

However, there is a block for the alveary, it's default forestry, that will "catch" the pollin from bees and trees, so if one wanted to get maximum efficiency this may be the way - it does consume silk plate things though. (Woven silk I think?)