Mac Random crashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiddenYak

Jul 29, 2019
Hello. I play on a FTB MindCrack server. I have the 21.5 inch iMac. Specs can be found here:
https://support.apple.com/kb/SP588

Due to some issue with the FTB client, I have to use a series of terminal commands to play any of the mod packs. They go as follows:

cd ~/desktop/ftb/
export JAVA_HOME=/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contentjava
java -jar FTB_Launcher.jar
I have been able to play FTB on my mac just like on my pc with that, until the most recent update. As of 8.1.1, my game crashes at a ridiculous rate. The server I play on has teleporting to players and certain areas available, and I have noticed that almost every time I teleport anywhere, I crash immediately after. Crashing is also common when I open interfaces of machines or anything of that nature. I tried staying in a small area and just doing some building, and I was able to play for a solid 13 minutes. I know the game is about to crash because it starts being unresponsive: I would move my mouse to look and it would actually change the view 5 seconds later. This is not server lag or fps lag. You could say that this might be a result of the heavily modded game combined with the server which likely has its own additions, but plenty of others play on there just fine, and like I said earlier, when I use my pc its flawless.

Crash log (I can get more if that would be helpful, as its super easy for me to crash):
http://pastebin.com/vdNQHq4k

If you don't have helpful input, please don't waste your time and give me crap about buying a pc. I'm fully aware of the superiority of pc's.

Thanks.

geoffreak

Jul 29, 2019
EDIT: See the bottom of this post for the fix!

I have the same issues. I cannot play singleplayer or multiplayer for more than 2-3 minutes before the client just shuts off and requires a force-quit (it will not close any other way). I can always tell when it's a few seconds away because the game will lock up for a few seconds more and more frequently. This is the message I will get at every crash (from the log):

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: Exception java.lang.OutOfMemoryError occurred dispatching signal Unknown Signal to handler- the VM may need to be forcibly terminated

I can clearly tell it's a memory error but I cannot seem to fix it. I'm sure this has something to do with Java 1.7 (which FTB can't run in on Mac, it just crashes on run).
- I have tried using terminal commands to allow more memory (java -Xms5G -Xmx6G -jar FTB_Launcher.jar) without any change whatsoever. I made sure that the memory limit specified on the command line was more than what I specified in the launcher (4GB), but it clearly had no effect.
- I disabled Java 1.7 (sudo rm -fr /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin) and launched the launcher normally with Java 1.6 (4GB RAM limit for my 16GB machine) still with the same issue.
- I have tried drastically reducing the amount I provided in the FTB launcher to just 512MB, but it makes no difference in the amount of time the game takes to crash.

I'll update this thread as I find more information.

EDIT:

After finding some similar threads, I discovered the fix (which has worked so far for me).

Status
Not open for further replies.