RailCraft Steam Engines

samstar

Jul 29, 2019
Do any of the RailCraft Steam Engines explode or is it just the Steam Boiler itself?

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Hobbyist's potentially can since it's boiler+engine in one and is unhappy in the same circumstances (adding water to a hot+dry boiler). The others haven't in my experience, but I haven't tried anything like, for example, running a steam engine without an output, which may be liable to.

samstar

Jul 29, 2019
Hobbyist's potentially can since it's boiler+engine in one and is unhappy in the same circumstances (adding water to a hot+dry boiler). The others haven't in my experience, but I haven't tried anything like, for example, running a steam engine without an output, which may be liable to.
ahh ok, thanks will see what happens as their output is not always needed right now

Glowstrontium

Jul 29, 2019
I believe that they will also explode if the internal capacitor (energy storage) maxes out, which I think is about 6000MJ, which could happen if there's nowhere for all the energy to go (ie. Thermal expansion conduits, which will only accept as much power as is requested).

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
(ie. Thermal expansion conduits, which will only accept as much power as is requested).
Never had this happen, and I have multiple high pressure steam boilers maxed out (18 engines each) going into a conduit system that in no way can possibly using the amount of power getting shot into it (they equilibrize internal storage at around 10k MJ for Industrials). Can somebody confirm this? I'm attaching a screenshot to show around where my engines hover in this situation (they range in 9.8k->10k and drop back to the 9.8k point with the engine pump action; these engines have been running continuously like this for over a week now, as well).

But on that note, 1.4.5 Buildcraft conductive piping, on the other hand, will make life fun by exploding themselves if your system isn't using that power and then you can have the engines probably follow suit since they'd no longer be attached to an appropriate power sink.

Attachments

• 2012-11-30_15.18.52.png
    95.1 KB · Views: 91

Meldiron

Jul 29, 2019
I can confirm that industrial steam engines stabilize (at least as long as it's connected to conduits).
I've had 9 engines hooked up to a conduit line with nothing attached at all.
Been running for several RL days now and the engines just keep around 10k internal storage.
But, something i've also noticed is that it's impossible to actualy drain their storage for some reason, at least with conduits.
You can give a single engine it's own redstone cell and it still won't dump the internal energy.

BobsGuns

Jul 29, 2019
It appears if you use an industrial steam engine to pump out items w/ a wooden pipe (don't ask why) it stableizes around 26,800 MJ internal

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
Put a couple of machines on the power line that use a small amount of power each tic, like rolling machine & the thermionic fabricator, this will keep a small drain on the power supply & stop bc pipes exploding, it may help stop steam engines exploding too but I have not had that happen to me so cant say for sure, I would say upgrade to conduits & steam boiler/indu engines asap, the conduits now as they will never explode have a flat 5% loss over most any distance & have inbuilt buffer, mho a must have as soon as possible.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Just a note, conduits will always prevent any type of buildcraft energy producing engine from exploding.

They have an internal capacity that disperses energy, so when there's an input on one end, and draw on the other, you only lose 5% of the energy, but when nothing is drawing from the conduits, they disperse 100% of the energy input into them, thus the engine never overheats when nothing is drawing power from it when it is running.