Railcraft Steam Boiler: Worth It?

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
Hey all. Prior to 1.6, the high pressure steam boilers were the go-to solution for energy production. I always put up a full sized one and ran fuel into it to keep my whole base operating. Once it was up to 1000 degrees, it consumed fuel rather slowly and I was able to keep it going with relatively little effort and it could power 18 industrial steam engines which each produced 8MJ/t totaling 144MJ/t. I used this to power genetic bee machines and anything else.

Now with 1.6 I feel totally in the dark as far as what to do. In a testworld, I noticed that the same steam boiler still consumes fuel rather quickly at 1000 degrees. I tested with charcoal, thinking it'd slow down but it never appeared to. I remember hearing in a video something about its output increases rather than its consumption slowing.

So, my question is whether this is still worthwhile to build in the same context as I used to build them. I'm looking for a big central power plant that's efficient, that I can power a medium to large base with. I generally use Thermal Expansion machines, and I am adapting to the new "RF" energy unit. However the new MJs totally confuse me and I don't have any idea why Buildcraft decided to change it up so much. Since Buildcraft has no energy storage, I tend to shy away from it. I prefer to have a big buffer of energy stored in a bank of redstone energy cells. So the bank of cells gets powered by the boiler, and then everything else runs off the cells. This way if I happen to need a huge burst of energy for a short while, the batteries can handle it. That's what buffers are for. Now it seems to be all different. Can someone point out the changes and how I can compensate for them?

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Omicron's post on this topic is extensive and should answer your questions.

In my experience with Railcraft 8.3, boilers are indeed less efficient than in previous Railcraft versions, but are still the most efficient way to convert renewables into energy. Note that Low Pressure boilers are more efficient than High Pressure boilers and solid fuel (charcoal) has been seriously nerfed whereas liquid fuel in 8.3 has only been slightly nerfed when compared to RC 8.1 and prior.

My recommendation for RC 8.3 : if you have a decent amoutn of liquid fuel, use liquid-fueled low pressure boilers for baseline power and use solid fuels directly in Steam Dynamos for "on demand" (peak) power. Otherwise, RC 8.3 solid-fueled LP boilers are still the most efficient way to convert charcoal to power. Use 36LP solid-fueled boilers if all you have is solid fuel.

If you're using RC 8.2, solid is still as good as ever. Stick with solid-fueled 36HP in RC 8.2 and prior.

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
Very cool, thanks much for your tips!!

[edit]
Ok the first thing he says in the OP is:
"Due to a complete boiler rework in Railcraft 8.3.0.0, this analysis no longer applies to that version and beyond."

Is there a different thread (no link is provided) that talks about the 8.3 situation?

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
Very cool, thanks much for your tips!!

[edit]
Ok the first thing he says in the OP is:
"Due to a complete boiler rework in Railcraft 8.3.0.0, this analysis no longer applies to that version and beyond."

Is there a different thread (no link is provided) that talks about the 8.3 situation?

Give Omicron some time - Im sure he'll post an update - or pose the question in his thread?

Blue

Jul 29, 2019
railcraft steam boilers + atomic science steam turbines equals epic power plant!

if yuou got atomic science on your server add those turbines