railcraft steam boiler info...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
anyone know what are the exact numbers a rc steam boiler puts out in terms of steam per tick? particularly for a 36hp boiler

also...is there a limit to how much can be extracted per tank block on a boiler? im experimenting with rc boilers and big reactor turbines and found that if i place more than one tesseract on a boiler to pull steam, it does stack as i add more tesseracts. about to find out if 1 boiler can get an 80 blade br turbine up to speed ;)

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
There is no limit on the tank block as far as I'm aware of, but TE fluiducts have a limit on how much they can extract from another block, though throughput is unlimited once the liquid is in the system. The number I have is 100mB/t of steam per fluiduct, so you'll need 8 connections to extract all the steam from a boiler producing 720mB/t. These connections can converge into one line in-between, though I don't know if there's also a limit on liquids exiting the system.

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
ok so the limiter is the tesseract, it only pulls at 80mb/t. gonna duct it and see what happens. thanks for the help.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
ok so the limiter is the tesseract, it only pulls at 80mb/t. gonna duct it and see what happens. thanks for the help.
Tesseracts are unlimited, steam boiler faces are not. Iirc you need 9 connections to capture the output of a full size HP boiler.

Reactions: RedBoss

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Aren't liquiducts capable of drawing the max amount of steam from a boiler block? It's then just a matter of dumping it into a Tesseract.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
Also liquiducts have a transfer limit, I'm not sure about how much it is, but there is one. I guess it is per connection face as energy conduits are, so in many cases it doesn't matter, but eg for a Big Reactor setup fluiducts don't cut it.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
No, I mean don't Liquiducts transfer the maximum amount available per block per side? IE, Block can max output 80mb/t, isn't that the amount a Fluiduct transfers?

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Aren't liquiducts capable of drawing the max amount of steam from a boiler block? It's then just a matter of dumping it into a Tesseract.
As I said: there is an input limit, i.e. a limit on how much they can draw from a machine or tank they're attached to, so you need several to draw the steam from the boiler. Throughput, however, is unlimited, so you can then connect those 9 liquiducts into one line until you reach the destination (the Tesseract is one since it's not a fluiduct), where you again need to consider the output limit. At least that's the information I have. It may or may not be correct, but my current setup wouldn't work unless throughput was at least 640 mB/t, which is about 7-8 times more than the input limit.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
lets put things straight:

boiler generates 20mB/t per boiler block.

the boiler auto outputs max 80mB/t per connected face.

the powered liquiduct (active pull) can pull more (100mB/t IIRC)

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
http://wiki.feed-the-beast.com/Steam_Boiler
It depends on the tanks you use, and how many of them. The maximum steam output is 720/tick, but that is also inefficient. If you want a more fuel-efficient boiler, the max steam output is 360/tick.
It's only inefficient because of the longer heating-up period. Once heated, LP and HP pressure boilers are identical in fuel/power efficiency, but HP boilers take up less space for the same effect. You can use a firestone to heat the boiler up, all you lose is a few thousand lava blocks in the Nether.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
It's only inefficient because of the longer heating-up period. Once heated, LP and HP pressure boilers are identical in fuel/power efficiency, but HP boilers take up less space for the same effect. You can use a firestone to heat the boiler up, all you lose is a few thousand lava blocks in the Nether.
Yeah, OP never said if they will be using this boiler 24/7. You're right about Firestones, those suckers are awesome. They heat 'em up in an instant! Also, it isn't a few thousand blocks, it's like 50 blocks tops.

Reactions: Dezz