Question before I start up bees

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
Hey all. I have a question that might save me a ton of headache so I'll ask it here.

In my 1.5.2 world, I had an awesome efficient bee setup and was very involved in breeding the advanced bee species and tweaking them to have maximum production efficiency with all the best traits, etc. I have a 1.6.4 world now, and have not yet started bees. Is there anything significant that's been changed? Has it been reworked like other mods? Or is it pretty much the same as it was. Also can the genetic machines run off Thermal Expansion's RF? Or do they require MJ? For that matter is there a thread somewhere discussing the machines which require MJ and don't work on RF at all?

Thanks

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
You will now find pristine and ignoble princesses in natural hives now. Pristine are like the princesses we're used to in pre-1.6; ignoble are like the swarmers of old, though a bit more durable.

TE3 conduits can provide MJ to machines that request it.

That's anout it for the changes.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I'll just clarify a little further on the above post

Thermal expansion RF doesn't run MJ machines, so directly hooking them up to a tesseract or dynamo won't work, however the conduits have been written for compatability, so RF -> conduit -> MJ machine works

Liquid Klone

Jul 29, 2019
i havent tried it yet, but when i looked at the new redstone energy conduits, I thought, wow, that shiuld keep all the genetic machines running at peak effeciency.

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so you're saying basically genetic machines still use MJ (rather than RF) but that the redstone energy conduit will automatically convert RF to MJ behind the scenes?
So if I wanted to set up say, a fuel boiler I could either use steam dynamos or industrial steam engines and either of them could pipe energy into energy conduits and store the result in RF energy cells?

As for bees, so the breeding dynamics are unchanged from 1.5.2 then? How about the genetic tree? Pretty much the same? As for pristine vs ignoble, well I guess I'll just stick with pristine only. I never used the swarmers, as I prefer to take the time to make quality bees that do not break over time.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so you're saying basically genetic machines still use MJ (rather than RF) but that the redstone energy conduit will automatically convert RF to MJ behind the scenes?
So if I wanted to set up say, a fuel boiler I could either use steam dynamos or industrial steam engines and either of them could pipe energy into energy conduits and store the result in RF energy cells?

As for bees, so the breeding dynamics are unchanged from 1.5.2 then? How about the genetic tree? Pretty much the same? As for pristine vs ignoble, well I guess I'll just stick with pristine only. I never used the swarmers, as I prefer to take the time to make quality bees that do not break over time.

That's a yes and yes
Breeding dynamics are unchanged, not sure about genetic tree, but the start at the very least is the same up to industrial/imperial (All I've gotten up to at the moment)

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Somewhere over the rainbow.
Be aware that for bee keeping now, you won't be able to automate anything related to mutating and upgrading them because of the new pristine and ignoble traits, if you get a nice pristine princess and you have no pristine drones to go with it, you have a chance that the princess loose her traits and become a ignoble princess (my brother is working with bees at the moment, I don't know a lot about this thing but he's banging his head on the wall because of this), it makes it a lot harder to get new species and keep them intact and alive to get a lot more of the same species you have to risk them and risk loosing the good traits of a bee... But if you get 2 set of pristine princess and drone, they can run nearly infinite in apiary to get some products its really nice and you won't get the swarmed status on them so they are safe to automate...

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Be aware that for bee keeping now, you won't be able to automate anything related to mutating and upgrading them because of the new pristine and ignoble traits, if you get a nice pristine princess and you have no pristine drones to go with it, you have a chance that the princess loose her traits and become a ignoble princess (my brother is working with bees at the moment, I don't know a lot about this thing but he's banging his head on the wall because of this), it makes it a lot harder to get new species and keep them intact and alive to get a lot more of the same species you have to risk them and risk loosing the good traits of a bee... But if you get 2 set of pristine princess and drone, they can run nearly infinite in apiary to get some products its really nice and you won't get the swarmed status on them so they are safe to automate...

Incorrect, the drones don't carry any pristine/ignoble traits. It's simply on the princess only, and they are only passed from princess to princess, not from drone to princess

I have had a good experience getting an ignoble princess to build up some stock drones then push them onto a pristine princess of another breed to get a pristine princess of that breed

Reactions: MigukNamja

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Somewhere over the rainbow.
So, I have to study the changes again, if you happen to know any tutorials about this, it would be really helpful for my brother and myself... Its so new we have nearly no informations about the new system they added...

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I personally look through the changelogs to see what's changed, I'll list what i found just then out now to help you though

#2.3.0.3
- Bugfix: Ignoble bees do not die off if their generation count is too low.

#2.3.0.0
- Changed: Swarmer bees are gone - in a way. There are now queens of "Ignoble Stock" and "Pristine Stock". Pristine Stock: As before, but cannot be "infected" through mating with other drones. They make up ~ 20 % of the bee population. "Ignoble Stock": These have a low chance to die off. The mortality chance can be reduced via frames. They will never die off in bee houses. Amount of generations lived does not affect the chance to die off anymore.

I bolded what I was referring to in my last post

EDIT: My source was here http://forestry.sengir.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10

InThayne

Oct 14, 2013

That's a yes and yes
Breeding dynamics are unchanged, not sure about genetic tree, but the start at the very least is the same up to industrial/imperial (All I've gotten up to at the moment)

Did something change again with TE 3.0 and conduits are now taking MJ? Sorry we had a family tragedy over the holidays, been out of the loop.

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
Did something change again with TE 3.0 and conduits are now taking MJ? Sorry we had a family tragedy over the holidays, been out of the loop.
No, the TE conduits only work with RF. But if you supply a machine, that takes MJ, with RF it will automaticly convert the RF into MJ.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Also note that a cornerstone mod in the Bees universe, ExtraBees as part of Binnie's Mods, is no longer supported. While it seems to work in 1.6.4 just fine for most people - including myself - some have reported world-corrupting bugs.

Without ExtraBees machines to inject desirable traits, overwrite undesirable effects, and increase the odds of species extraction, it will be very difficult to progress beyond Imperial, Industrious, and some of the easier bees. I've done trait breeding without ExtraBees machines and it's a tedious PITA. Also, good luck getting Glittering (gold) and Diamond bees or for that matter any metal or gem-producing bee without ExtraBees machines. Each species along the way (ex. Robust, Tolerant, Resilient) has Lowest Fertility, so you'll be breeding Wintry bees' Maximum Fertility trait every step along the way.

Indeed, it seems MagicBees and even Forestry itself has modified (increased the base difficulty of) bee breeding to take ExtraBees machines into account.

AFAIK, ExtraBees is not in any FTB 1.6.4 modpack. While this is the right decision and I fully support it, you will have to download and use binnie's mods at your own risk.

Crea

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone played around with Gendustry? How is it compared to ExtraBees?

One I decide to start bee breeding seriously I think I might have to install ExtraBees and try my luck despite the crash warnings if Gendustry isn't a decent replacement for it.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone played around with Gendustry? How is it compared to ExtraBees?

One I decide to start bee breeding seriously I think I might have to install ExtraBees and try my luck despite the crash warnings if Gendustry isn't a decent replacement for it.

Avoid the barrels and you should be OK. I've been using binnie-mods-1.8-dev2.jar for over 4 months now in 1.6.4 and have had no world-corrupting bugs.

And, wow. I didn't even know about Gendustry until now. Thanks !

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Like I said, I've been using binnie-mods-1.8-dev2.jar for a while now and no issues. I also do daily, off-site backups just in case my world gets corrupted for any reason.