Question about pumping lava from the nether

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Setari

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any real way to make pumping lava from the nether self-sustaining? We are using redstone engines right now to power the pump (which is fine) and the liquid transposer (which is not fine, it's powering much too slow to fill lava cells) and it's as I said, slow. It takes forever for one cell to be filled. Is there another kind of engine or some kind of setup we could use that's self-sustaining like redstone engines?

Edit: Forgot to mention we want it to be faster. Faster is key.

Dafuq?

Jul 29, 2019
Magmatic Engines are faster, and you already got the lava. You can hook up a BC Logic Gate to prevent them from overheating. Haven't found a neat way to do this without ultimatively blocking the filter pulling from the enderchest though, as the redstone signal from the logic gate powers the liquid transposer and as it it next to the filter, that stops it after a while. I might try iron gates and pipe wires next time, that should work without powering the transposer, for the moment I just unblock it manually, doesn't happen that often...

Reactions: Freyr

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
As Dafuq says, loop the lava back into a magmatic, there's an example of it in DW20's current SMP series. Though if you're on an SMP server I would highly recommend not pumping lava but rather mining netherrack, feeding it into a crucible and getting your lava that way. Yes, it technically isn't as efficient but it is far less laggy than pumping lava and thus friendly to your fellow SMP players.

Setari

Jul 29, 2019
I only run a server of me, my fiancee and my bud so there's only 3 people so it's not laggy at all. And yeah I do know how to loop the lava back into the magmatic engines, I just don't like them jamming up on me and having to go restart them. Could you maybe expand on what you would do with the iron gates and such, Dafuq?

Min

Jul 29, 2019
May I ask what settings you put on the gate so the engine doesnt overheat?

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
If you use redstone energy conduits the engines won't jam because they 'know' the block is full and will actually throttle back.

daraku_dakara

Jul 29, 2019
On my server, the answer is simple.
we have Power transformers installed ( http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=5789 ) So the buildcraft pump brings up lava, and supplies it to an IC2 geothermal generator, which powers an electric engine, powering the pump. Electric engines never overheat. The lava is also pumped to a liquid loader from raincraft. The cart comes and goes through a mystcraft portal, with a liquid unloader in my base to transfer to tanks.

2013-01-25_011146_zpsa67c3a1c.png

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
I've been thinking of trying a build similar to the above, but by having the Electrical Engine power the Liquid Transposer, then doing everything else just like Direwolf20 did. I don't know if it will work, but I see little reason for it to fail.

dc0110

Jul 29, 2019
Also maybe place a redstone energy cell in there too, then when you're passing next time you can just swap it out and have a full one ready to go.
I have a couple of questions about your setup Setari
There's no mention of a chunk loader here, I'm assuming you have one set up?
Also, what mod pack version are you using, I was under the impression redstone engines could no longer power machines, only pipes.

and a general question, do magmatic engines overheat or are they just a little buggy after running for a while?

Setari

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, we have a redstone energy cell setup in the overworld, but actually setting one down in the nether probably wouldn't be too bad of an idea either, holy crap. Didn't even think of that. Also yes, we have 2 chunk loaders going, one in the nether and one in the overworld near our whole setup. And I'm using the Direwolf20 pack, I get redstone engines to power some things but not others. Honestly I can't remember for the life of me what I used them to power, we usually just use magmatics and hobbyist engines now since I got railcraft fixed up.

Also Magmatic engines don't 'overheat and explode' but they overheat and shut off. You have to hit them with a wrench to get them working again, or do what direwolf did in the video up there and use iron gates to adjust the stuff accordingly. I'll probably have to mess around in creative to see how to build those and such...

Oh, we are using redstone engines to power the pump and the liquid transposer in the nether. In the overworld we have magmatic engines set up, used to be hobbyist engines and I put a redstone energy cell inbetween so those engines can power that when there's downtime. But I think I am going to go ahead and try to get an energy cell in the nether, that would seem to work well.

dc0110

Jul 29, 2019
I've just started using gates on my set up, not for lava but other things, I wish they would attach to conduits and liquiducts

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
I've just started using gates on my set up, not for lava but other things, I wish they would attach to conduits and liquiducts

Yeah. Though with structure thingies and RP's red alloy wiring you can achieve the same effect, just takes 2 runs (pipe, wiring) instead of just 1.

dc0110

Jul 29, 2019
i fiddled a bit with what I thought was red alloy wire, turned out wasn't, so I ripped down what I did and will be having a play over the weekend.
So it's red alloy wire I need?

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
Yup. Red alloy wire transmits red stone signals but is far easier to place and get to work. If needed I can fire up one of my worlds where I am using a double-Red Energy Cell system to intelligently activate my back-up magmatic engines and fire off a quick video for ya. The structure and items used are pretty much identical to what would be used to regulate an engine like above. But, really, the video I linked shows everything that is needed. :)

Reactions: un worry

dc0110

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't had chance to look at the video yet, I'm at work :(
I used pipe wire to start off with, it was a shot in the dark, a bad shot, but a shot none the less.

I have red alloy ingots ready to craft, so that'll be one of my first jobs :)

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Connect the engine to the pump and the transposer using conduits. The combination of conduits and the magmatic engine is intelligent enough to slow the engine down to produce just as much power as needed, and it will never overheat. No need for any gates and stuff.

Dafuq?

Jul 29, 2019
Could you maybe expand on what you would do with the iron gates and such, Dafuq?

Sorry for the late answer, I've been at work and I don't have free internet access there.

Here is a pic of my setup. I have the classic liquid tranposer+filter+enderchest in a row. Next to the liquid transposer I have the (simple redstone) gate, which sits on a structure pipe and is set to emit a redstone signal on full energy. This signal goes then via a jacketed wire to the magmatic engine, which will on the standard settings turn off and thus not "overheat". The problem is, that the redstone signal from the pipe will power the liquid transposer as a block, and this will stop the filter, because of the constant redstone signal.

So I will try it with 2 structure pipes and two iron gates, connected with pipe wire. The gate next to the liquid transposer will emit just a red pipe signal on full energy, not a redstone signal and thus not block the filter, and the gate next to the magmatic engine is set to emit redstone signal if red pipe signal. That should work, I think, I will test it asap and update this post...

EDIT:
Tested it, with two iron gates + pipe wire it works fine...

EDIT2: Derp, I somehow managed to overlook two posts with a simpler solution... :confused: Might be useful for other setups though...

KriiEiter

Jul 29, 2019
I actually bypass the transfer of lava to the overworld.

I put thermal generators directly in the Nether next to my lava Pump (Buildcraft pump powered by 4 redstone engines).

The thermal generators feed into an MFE, that charges energy crystals and ships them to back to the overworld once fully charged via an enderchest.

This is achieved with two filters (RP2) and a timer. Simply place fully discharged energy crystals into overworld enderchest and wait a bit, then get a fully charged energy crystal in a few seconds.