Quarry guide...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

nvrsbr

Jul 29, 2019
Any good guides out there on how to setup a quarry to filter all the blocks it gets into sepreate chests?
Im pretty new to all this and figured I would start with getting a Quarry up and running.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Depends on the mods you have, so telling us which modpack would be a good idea or we might tell you to use something you don't have. :)

Reactions: RedBoss

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
These kind of "how to"'s already exist. Direwolf has several videos of how to set up sorting systems. Extra Utilities transfer nodes and pipes are a decent and fairly cheap start. Thermal expansion ducts. And even Logistics pipes and Applied Energistics.

Reactions: DeathOfTime

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
Quarry -> (ender chest|tesseract)

(ender chest|tesseract) -> (BC Pipe with Diamond autarchic gate|Impulse Itemduct|AE2 interface) -> (Barrels | emerald pipe on chests)

(Be sure to use insertion pipes on barrels if using Buildcraft pipes)
Tesseracts have the great ability to provide power as well as retrieving items from the quarry.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
I usually go quarry/ender quarry > ender chest | ender chest to me interface. Now if you don't have AE set up yet, use logistics pipes. Depending on the module you have installed, they have some very unique sorting capabilities

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019

Quarry--> Ender Chest
Ender Chest--> Item ducts --> Row of Barrels(MANY barrels) --> couple O chests just in case

Easiest quarry sorting system early game.

After that AE or logi pipes when you have the resources according to preferences

MonkeyB

Jul 29, 2019
I like to build stupidly large things.

So this setup will be stupidly large. Also expensive.

Buildcraft diamond pipes. Put them in a helix formation going around the room.

Iluvalar

Jul 29, 2019
Nobody do that. We make a chest that sort items into other chests. And we have the quarry plus all our machines and all our own excess stuff in that single chest. The is a lot of mods with a lot of different sorting solutions.

In monster, i'd suggest you connect 1 chest to an itemduct system that lead to an array of chests. You set 1 itemduct arm on vaccum mode to your basement which is linked to barrels of the more common material (cobble,dirt,gravel...). The remaining goes into a line of iron/copper/gold chests. Technicaly, they won't be sorted, but the stuff will try to stack into the first avalaible inventory. you should have no more then 6-8 chests of these before you go to a full logistic pipe or AE system. So you wont have to search for your material so much.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
This is using thermal expansion.

start with a trash can at the start. attached to a item conduit with a autonomous activator set to whitelist. that is either closed going into it or filters specific blocks into like cobble.

Next a line of barrels. 4 would probably do. I like to use 8 or so. Don't bother filtering into these. Just let the item conduits auto sort into them. When you get a lot of a item you want to put it into one of these, so that it won't fill up the chest at the end. The barrels should be set up to receive stuff like coal, that there will be stacks of.

A iron chest on the end to receive everything else. (or lots more barrels if you want all of it sorted automatically.) Manually sort out the ores from that chest into other chests as needed.

This is the system I use in the with my first quarry. I update it as my infrastructure gets more complicated.

Can also use buildcraft pipes. Need to sort into the barrels with diamond pipes then. Can actually use any pipe system you know how to set up.

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
I'd definitely recommend barrels or trash cans for cobble, gravel, and dirt. After that, depending on how well your ore processing is set up, you could either run the rest into an enderchest that feeds your ore processing, or you could just stick an obsidian chest after the barrels. You may have to return every so often to empty some items out and take them back. If you're playing with Blood Magic, you could use teleposers and a timer to periodically swap your quarry chest with your chest at the base, but that's probably more effort than its worth

Reactions: buggirlexpres

nvrsbr

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for all the replys, but since I just started playing FTB most of it makes no sense to me lol.
I will just watch some visdeo tutorials :)

Reactions: DeathOfTime

nvrsbr

Jul 29, 2019
Was going to use Diamond Pipes to do a ssimple sort of some items.
Whats the best Layer in FTB Monster to find Diamonds?

I hear that 1-10 is good but have heard others say that the normal 11-16 is the way to go.

Any thoughts?