Quarries and oceans

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know where I read it, but I was under the impression that making quarries in oceans was considered to be a very bad idea due to the thousands of flowing water blocks it leaves behind. I also vaguely seem to recall reading somewhere not that long ago that this 'issue' has since been fixed and flowing water blocks underneath source blocks will now "repair" themselves? Does anyone know for sure what the current situation is with that?

I notice that Etho does all his quarrying in oceans and it doesn't seem to cause any adverse effects in the area or the server in general so is this safe practice now or .. ? :confused:

Jeff Fisher

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm I can't say for sure I didn't know anything about them fixing this. If someone quarried in the ocean on my server I would not be happy. When folks quarry on my server I make them drain the water out of them when they are finished.

On max size quarries if someone has a huge water problem draining it out will drop my server load by a lot.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Funny fact: Clearing out the water puts a much bigger strain on the server than what flowing-but-not-updating water does.

The worst part about the water, regarding lag, is when it is updated, be it when it can flow more or when it needs to be cleared.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Funny fact: Clearing out the water puts a much bigger strain on the server than what flowing-but-not-updating water does.

The worst part about the water, regarding lag, is when it is updated, be it when it can flow more or when it needs to be cleared.

This is true, and it's annoying, but water only needs to be cleared once. Unless you fuck up. But, if you do, that's on you.

As opposed to flowing water which will exist for the entire period that the chunk is loaded.

I suppose it depends more on if you intend to keep that chunk loaded for any length of time. If not, it's probably not worth it to drain all of the water.

Reactions: Jeff Fisher

Jeff Fisher

Jul 29, 2019

But if you clear it then you deal with lag for a minute and don't have to worry about that water being there ever again. I would rather not let it build up.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
I don't run my quarries in oceans, but I place water source blocks in one or two corners of the quarry that eventually spread out as the quarry digs to handle any lava it encounters, and I have no lag issues at all. As previously mentioned, when I go back after the quarry is done and kill the water source blocks, you can tell the game is struggling to make the necessary adjustments because the receding water goes in chunks and stutters all the way down to nothing.

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
I don't run my quarries in oceans, but I place water source blocks in one or two corners of the quarry that eventually spread out as the quarry digs to handle any lava it encounters, and I have no lag issues at all. As previously mentioned, when I go back after the quarry is done and kill the water source blocks, you can tell the game is struggling to make the necessary adjustments because the receding water goes in chunks and stutters all the way down to nothing.

Yeah, that's exactly what we (used to) do too. Back in Tekkit and even earlier when using BC on its own it was never a problem - once you removed the source from the top corner it would drain out fairly quickly, even with a full size quarry, but in FTB the water updates seem to take forever and it can easily take 30 mins+ for the water to drain out and the lag during that time is crippling. I think I might try one in an ocean and see just how bad it is.

Dafuq?

Jul 29, 2019
Well they did change water mechanics in 1.5, but I don't think this affects ocean quarries... The thing they changed is that you don't need a solid block beneath for a source block to form anymore, but that would have been the case with quarries anyways. So now, you won't make "holes" when using a bucket in the middle of a river or ocean anymore, but if I understood correctly the originating source blocks still have to be on the sides, not on top... Shouldn't be too hard to test...

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, that's exactly what we (used to) do too. Back in Tekkit and even earlier when using BC on its own it was never a problem - once you removed the source from the top corner it would drain out fairly quickly, even with a full size quarry, but in FTB the water updates seem to take forever and it can easily take 30 mins+ for the water to drain out and the lag during that time is crippling. I think I might try one in an ocean and see just how bad it is.

I don't get lag when I drain the water even now. It definitely does not look like a smooth and fluid dispersion, but it doesn't take long and I just carry on as per usual. It might be a hardware thing.