Pure Gregtech 1.7.10

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

EchoingZen

Jul 29, 2019
I'm curious about starting out with the purest GregTech experience, just using GregTech and IC2. Anyone else doing this? (More importantly, are you enjoying it?)

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I'm playing Beyond Reality and...well Botania makes it much easier :p
I don't like continuously spending resources for tools and armor. Once and never again please.
Though the Manasteel recipe is nerfed to require steel.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Methinks Greg likes Thaumcraft because its research and Warp features are so grindy and tedious.

alexubel989

Jul 29, 2019
I've gotten to where I turn Warp and Research off in Thaumcraft. Its bad enough for me to have to SCAN everything with the Thaumometer. I spend more time looking through that lens than is healthy I think.

EchoingZen

Jul 29, 2019
I'm afraid that Thaumcraft will make my Gregtech progress much, much easier. Does the oregen of Gregtech keep the progress of Thaumcraft and Gregtech in line?

EchoingZen

Jul 29, 2019
So, I decided to tryout pure GregTech with just the following:

* Forge (10.13.2.1272)
* GregTech (5.06.06)
* IndustrialCraft (2.2.658)
* FastCraft (1.9)
* CodeChickenCore (1.0.4.29)
* NotEnoughItems (1.0.3.74)
* Waila (1.5.6.a)

I added Waila so I can tell what I'm looking at. I don't think it would affect gameplay that much.

Are there any tweaks I should make to the GregTech/IC2 configs to make for a "purer" GregTech experience?

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
As for Thaumcraft: tools made from Thaumcraft shards have quite powerful abilities (silk touch, fortune, speed, depending on the shard color). But these are added and specified by Greg himself, so I wouldn't consider it unbalanced.

Queue

Jul 29, 2019
So, I decided to tryout pure GregTech with just the following:

* Forge (10.13.2.1272)
* GregTech (5.06.06)
* IndustrialCraft (2.2.658)
* FastCraft (1.9)
* CodeChickenCore (1.0.4.29)
* NotEnoughItems (1.0.3.74)
* Waila (1.5.6.a)

I added Waila so I can tell what I'm looking at. I don't think it would affect gameplay that much.

Are there any tweaks I should make to the GregTech/IC2 configs to make for a "purer" GregTech experience?
I believe Skyboy's fix for chunkloading is now in forge, and renders Fastcraft redundant. Unless Player's optimizations still speed it up?

As for your modlist, it will be very similar to vanilla in terms of everything but tech, so yes it will be quite "pure". This said, there are plenty of mods that don't get around the GT tech tree, such as properly configured Railcraft, and such. If this modlist proves to be too much of a bitch to play, I reccomend grabbing a few mods and tweaking them to be more GT-ified, because GT is not complete and still has yet to add things like better tanks and such. It isn't a total conversion, and I doubt that a few more content mods would hurt.

This said, I think you would enjoy the challenge of that list.

EchoingZen

Jul 29, 2019
Challenge, that is an understatement. I'm sort of going into this blind and the only food source that I have managed is apples. I've created a large orchard because I didn't realize I couldn't make bread. This is gonna be a rough start, that's for sure. :)

EDIT:
@Queue I think I'll try out railcraft as well. If it doesn't really get around the GregTech tree, that's awesome.

Queue

Jul 29, 2019
Challenge, that is an understatement. I'm sort of going into this blind and the only food source that I have managed is apples. I've created a large orchard because I didn't realize I couldn't make bread. This is gonna be a rough start, that's for sure. :)

EDIT:
@Queue I think I'll try out railcraft as well. If it doesn't really get around the GregTech tree, that's awesome.
Just turn off the rolling machine, blast furnace and maybe firestone if you want

EchoingZen

Jul 29, 2019
Just turn off the rolling machine, blast furnace and maybe firestone if you want
Ok, I disabled the rolling machine, blast furnace and the firestone. I also disabled the poor ores because I'm neurotic and the ore colors of those blocks don't match GregTech's texture of the same ore type. (Ok, that might be a little too neurotic but I can't help it.)

So, rolling machine, blast furnace and firestone... do those sort of skip the GregTech tree? Or are their functions already provided in IC2/GT?

Queue

Jul 29, 2019
Rolling machine makes plates easy to craft, Blast furnace can skip most of the bronze age and Greg hates the firestone b/c it's OP :)

EchoingZen

Jul 29, 2019
So, I am just running GregTech and IC2. Should I disable IC2s version of ores that GregTech has? Like Lead?