Pumpkin Power (pictures)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
This would have been so much better if I had though of it near Thanksgiving.

In my one of my other threads I was going through some of the stuff I had done in a build when I realised it had some general potential interest. A completely renewable, cross mod, quirky power gen system based on pumpkins, sugar and glowstone.

ZjEiBd3.png

It relies on the following mods

Thermal Expansion
Thaumcraft
Minefactory Reloaded
Factorization (replaceable*, but I really like it so I am using it)
Reliquary (optional)
Buildcraft (optional)

with extra utilities depending on the stability of their generators (I think they are done now though).

I made this very crude flowchart on paint to describe the general principle.

power-plan-png.9857

The northern lights thing is just a goofy name I came up with in another thread for the glowstone generator I made in my castle.

Factorization is responsible for harvesting the sugar cane using servos which are powered by caliometric burners which run on pumpkin pie.

ixs9xek.png

MeilcHm.png

After I took those screenshots I added some lilypads of fertility to speed things up.

When the sugar cane is harvested the first place it goes is to an alchemical furnace to be burnt up into herba essentia. The sugar is also able to be fuel in the furnace too because MFR adds a smelting recipe for sugar to turn it into sugar coke.

0xk4a2r.png

ltCrRAx.png

Leftover sugar cane goes to a cyclic assembler* to be turned into sugar which itself goes either of two places. To keep everything running smoothly, sugar will first head to another cyclic assembler where pumpkin pies are made. The eggs are made by a vanilla chicken hopper farm and the pumpkins keep growing in the way of terrain smashers from thermal expansion and they get smashed into pie which goes to be burnt in the caliometrics. If you don't want to do factorization you could probably keep this whole thing redstone flux based by putting the pumpkin pies into a the food generator that RWTema made for extra utilities. That could power another type of sugar farm.

AJU4teH.png

The leftover sugar then gets round robinned across some reactant dynamos to generate redstone flux. But the sugar does nothing by itself, you need another reactant. I used energised glowstone because there is a very good way of getting a lot of it renewably. I read somewhere that this was like an easter egg content from Thermal Expansion so I will put it behind a spoiler. If you don't want to know what it is then another good way of getting lots of glowstone would probably be the digital miner from mekanism.

It is like a cobble gen but instead of lava you use energised glowstone and instead of water you use gelid cryotheum. There are a couple of things to take care of due to the special behaviours of these fluids. If you want to know more about it I wrote it up on another thread here http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...-movie-frozen-wip-pictures.39528/#post-550082

This system produces three cool things. Tons of herba essentia. You might be able to get more than two lamps worth out of this set up. A respectable amount of RF. There is enough sugar to keep 11 reactant dynamos going most of the time (between 700-880 rf/t). I have filled a resonant energy cell just over half way in the time it took to write this up. Remember though that 400rf/t was going into the magma crucible for quite a long time to fill up a buffer of energised glowstone (it has stopped now, supply way outstrips demand here). Other costs belong to two cyclic assemblers and a redstone furnace but neither of them run all the time. Finally, a massive surplus of glowstone, nice for illuminators.

P.S. Sorry for poor spelling and made up words. I am a bit tired and I rushed this but I though it was interesting so I put it out there.

Last edited:

kaiomann

Jul 29, 2019
Funny enough, I have also thought about setting up something with that general idea. I have like millions of sugarcane...
Would you mind if I take inspiration from this awesome thingy?

Vasa

Jul 29, 2019
I have made something similar with golems and wheat farm.
Golems harvest wheat->craft bread->caliometric burner->steam boiler->2-3 steam engines . :)

Squigie

Jul 29, 2019
"Leftover sugar cane goes to a cyclic assembler to be turned into sugar which itself goes either of two places."

A pulverizer would double the sugar produced. Was this a deliberate decision or were you unaware?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Hehe, I like it. But think I would personally just turn off my farm once I have enough sugarcanes :p Or just recycle it lol.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Funny enough, I have also thought about setting up something with that general idea. I have like millions of sugarcane...
Would you mind if I take inspiration from this awesome thingy?
Go ahead, I don't own anything here, have fun

"Leftover sugar cane goes to a cyclic assembler to be turned into sugar which itself goes either of two places."

A pulverizer would double the sugar produced. Was this a deliberate decision or were you unaware?
I was unaware, thanks for telling me. You have basically just doubled the efficiency of this machine, thank you.

That...is amazing! Makes me wonder thhough, can you power your base off of gyashl greens?
That would be really good, they would probably work in the caliometric burner or the extra utils one. Maybe the chocobos should be given the ability to power Ichun's sync treadmills too.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Go ahead, I don't own anything here, have fun

I was unaware, thanks for telling me. You have basically just doubled the efficiency of this machine, thank you.

That would be really good, they would probably work in the caliometric burner or the extra utils one. Maybe the chocobos should be given the ability to power Ichun's sync treadmills too.
The downside of the pulverizer is that it takes a lot more energy to make that second sugar that it takes to make the one. Enough that for energy generation it's not as viable.
Also gyashl pickles. I less then three chocobos anyway, but the pickles are icing on this cake for me.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
The downside of the pulverizer is that it takes a lot more energy to make that second sugar that it takes to make the one. Enough that for energy generation it's not as viable.
Also gyashl pickles. I less then three chocobos anyway, but the pickles are icing on this cake for me.
I love japanese pickles in real life too they are delicious. The texture for the chocobo leg repulses me for some reason and I don't know why - I really need to find a way to get over that.

If I recall correctly, pulverisers use 40rf/t and I think assemblers use ~20rf per operation so pulverisers are a fair bit more costly to run. I am going to try and build this in my next survival world and I will test the relative efficiency of both systems properly then. Logistics pipes autocrafting may work out a lot cheaper as well. I need to read up on how much those pipes cost to run.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I love japanese pickles in real life too they are delicious. The texture for the chocobo leg repulses me for some reason and I don't know why - I really need to find a way to get over that.

If I recall correctly, pulverisers use 40rf/t and I think assemblers use ~20rf per operation so pulverisers are a fair bit more costly to run. I am going to try and build this in my next survival world and I will test the relative efficiency of both systems properly then. Logistics pipes autocrafting may work out a lot cheaper as well. I need to read up on how much those pipes cost to run.
Reminds me of a turkey leg. Or do you mean while they are alive? And IIRC the sugar doubling costs... 240 RF? Compared to the 20 RF to get one, it's pretty sizable.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Reminds me of a turkey leg. Or do you mean while they are alive? And IIRC the sugar doubling costs... 240 RF? Compared to the 20 RF to get one, it's pretty sizable.
I do mean the item, they are fine when they are alive.

That energy difference is quite substantial. Fair enough.

EDIT:
According to NEI it takes 800RF per operation in the pulveriser, or 400 per individual sugar.

You can still do things to boost sugar production though. There is a sugary bee which has a 20% base chance to make sugar per operation. The amount of herba produced might be enough to sustain one more lamp, and more lamps of fertility might not hurt. Then there is the blood magic ritual of the green grove but I don't know much about that besides watching Kirindave's lets play.

Last edited:

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I do mean the item, they are fine when they are alive.

That energy difference is quite substantial. Fair enough.
It's fine for just making cake. But for energy, it's not as easy to ignore. Unless you are REALLY hurting for sugar but have a decent amount of RF to spare, I wouldn't advise using it in a pure energy system.

Still, Thaumic Cake is better IMO then normal cake. For one, it's magically delicious(and deliciously magical), and two, if you don't pig out and eat it all in one go, it regenerates itself!

matpower123

Jul 29, 2019
One could replace FZ Servos with any block breaker to cut/remove the pumpkin system, right? (If I understood it well :p)
But hey! Servos farm are just amazing™. :D

Last edited:

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
One could replace FZ Servos with any block breaker to cut the pumpkin system, right? (If I understood it well :p)
But hey! Servos farm are just amazing™. :D
Do you mean the sugar cane? Either way, a block breaker based farm of any sort is perfectly good for both sugar cane and pumpkins. I used terrain smashers to break the pumpkins in this case but another good power free block breaker is from Engineer's Toolbox.

The main advantage for servos is that when it breaks sugar cane that has already reached full height, both of the broken bits of cane land in the servo so you don't have to worry about having a load of golems or vacuum hoppers or anything.

The second advantage for servos is that it gave me more of an excuse to do a convoluted pumpkin pie power system.

Servos are fairly power efficient too. I was producing pumpkin pies much faster than I was using them and that was by using 4 caliometric burners. (You might be able to get away with less burners. Another potential improvement would be to just use a battery box instead of a leyden jar. The smaller battery box will allow for a more responsive auto shut-off using comparators to control the burners).

Reactions: matpower123

matpower123

Jul 29, 2019
Do you mean the sugar cane? Either way, a block breaker based farm of any sort is perfectly good for both sugar cane and pumpkins. I used terrain smashers to break the pumpkins in this case but another good power free block breaker is from Engineer's Toolbox.

The main advantage for servos is that when it breaks sugar cane that has already reached full height, both of the broken bits of cane land in the servo so you don't have to worry about having a load of golems or vacuum hoppers or anything.

The second advantage for servos is that it gave me more of an excuse to do a convoluted pumpkin pie power system.

Servos are fairly power efficient too. I was producing pumpkin pies much faster than I was using them and that was by using 4 caliometric burners. (You might be able to get away with less burners. Another potential improvement would be to just use a battery box instead of a leyden jar. The smaller battery box will allow for a more responsive auto shut-off using comparators to control the burners).
My "cut the pumpkin system" meant "remove the pumpkin system". :p

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
My "cut the pumpkin system" meant "remove the pumpkin system". :p
I get it now, I didn't read your post properly. And, unlike me, you did understand correctly, save for one tiny detail. If you cut the pumpkin system, I wouldn't have been able to call this project pumpkin power and my desire for alliteration would have gone unfulfilled. :)

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't stress tested this machine yet but it was keeping up reasonably well with 11 dynamos and while I don't want to say by how much, I reckon that you could squeeze a few more dynamos into this after a few optimizations.

To put it in perspective, it took me somewhere in the region of 45 minutes to put together the opening post, which included getting the screenshots and some dithering. During that time, the machine was left running and filled a resonant energy cell about 2/3 of the way up.

This may not take you all the way to "endgame" but I think that if you focus on getting some dark iron and the relevant thaumcraft research, you will be able to build this machine somewhere in the "mid-game" phase and it will keep a modest base going for quite a long time I hope. As far as reliability is concerned, unless there are some deficiencies in the build I did not foresee, even if you eventually have to supplement it with a big reactor or something, once built this will be like ~750rf/t+ for free, forever. It is essentially a pimped up solar panel.

Reactions: RealSketch

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
It's not really "pumpkin power" - more like "pumpkin-assisted sugar power".

... except it's not entirely "sugar power" either. Maybe "(pumpkin-assisted sugar)-assisted glowstone power"?