Pumping Steam to Big Reactors' Turbines

feanix

Jul 29, 2019
Is anyone else having any success here? I've been trying to pump steam into these bad boys all last night and I could never get a flow much past 10-40mB and so I can't get the turbines up to speed.

I did my initial research by watching this:
. He seems to not be having too much trouble but he is using a couple mods I'm not using in my modpack and I can't identify all the blocks.

I've tried using Buildcraft pipes (a definite no, as far as I can tell) and Extra Utilities' resource nodes so far. Neither of these was able to for force the needed hundreds of millibuckets of steam into the turbine.

Has anyone been able to do this in SMP and would they mind telling me the setup they used?

feanix

Jul 29, 2019
The biggest problem is just volume. Even a small turbine needs over 100mBs per tick. I was only able to achieve this with a nuclear reactor fed by four BC pumps. You also need to be very careful that at no point does anything choke the mBs per sec. For instance, Railcraft tank valves have a maximum mB throughput so you can't really use them (not that you need to).

I still have to test if adding more water to the reactor would result in even larger volumes of steam being output (I assume so).

Bgraywolf

Jul 29, 2019
I used Fluiducts but in order to move the 1440 mB of seem my two boiler generated, I had to create four fluid import ports on the turbine. Either each import or each Fluiduct was limited to 360mb of steam per connection (I think this is the same number seen in the clip above).

Not sure if you can get the fluiducts to dump more steam per connection or not...

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
A very fine choice is EnderIO's Fluid Conduits. Why? They can transfer an INFINITE amount of steam per tick*. That's crazy, but crazy good.

*According to the very incomplete EnderIO Wiki anyway.

Reactions: Padfoote

feanix

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure about that, TBH. I'm not 100% sure but I thought that I seemed to be getting more steam through when using the Pressurised Fluid Conduits than with the regular Fluid Conduits.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Again, this is info from a page that is so outdated, it lacks a recipe and advises people to just to ask around the IRC instead. The whole wiki is still using MJ as their baseline power source.

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
1. Don't use Buildcraft pipes.
2. TE Fluid Conduits but the have a limit of 360 mB/t so you may have to use another input.
3. Extra Utilities Liquid Nodes work well (you have to use the speed upgrade).
4. ExtraCells Liquid export bus don't work well at all for some reason but the input work fine. (even tho they can move 1000mB/t)
5. I didn't think to try EnderIO fluid pipes.

I use P2P bus with TE Fluid Conduits on each end. I couldn't get the P2P bus to work on the turbine/reactor input blocks.

Note: You can alway use more then one input/output block in your muiltblock.

budge

Jul 29, 2019
I did some testing on throughput using fluiducts and transfer nodes today. Here's what I found:

With fluiducts and steam, on the output face of a reactor, you only need one connection, but on the input face of a turbine, you need many connections. Each fluiduct connection on the turbine can handle 320 mB/t of throughput, so divide your required throughput by 320 to determine how many connections you need (maximum of 6 because turbines have a limit of 2000 mB/t). So you will reach max steam throughput with just 1 connection on the reactor and 6 connections on the turbine. For waste water output on the turbine, again it's one to many; e.g., one fluiduct connection on the turbine's output, many connections to wherever you're sending the water. I found that for a turbine handling 2000 mB/t, 15 connections on the receiving end of the waste water line was enough to not backstuff the turbine.

For transfer nodes, the length of the line massively affects their efficacy. A length of 2 (one node, one pipe, reactor input block) with 64 speed upgrades and 192 mining upgrades easily supplies a 7x7x7 25-core reactor. Go above 5ish length, however, and the reactor begins to stutter unless a 2nd is added. With a length of more than 5, you're better off with 128 speed upgrades and 128 mining upgrades, but you will still need more than one node on the source.

This is off the top of my head and I am unable to verify the results again until tomorrow, so there may be errors.

Note: All fluiducts were configured to default, as they are when first placed. No wrenching or servo-ing was needed.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Can we use the old trick with tesseract and RC's Steam Boiler? Attach a tesseract on the steam boiler with 8 fluiducts surrounding it, all with servo upgrades. Then on the turbine's receiving end, attach another tesseract right on it? Last I remember, there isn't any output limit on the tesseract, right?

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

budge

Jul 29, 2019
I'm guessing you can. One tesseract on the reactor and one tesseract on the turbine appears to have unlimited throughput, so as long as you can pump steam out of the boiler fast enough, the tesseracts won't stand in your way.

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
yep tesseracts are the way to go. im feeding multiple turbines from steam off my big reactor using just one tesseract on the reactor, and an input tesseract on each turbine set to same freq of reactor tesseract. also, feed the water from the turbines back to the reactor, they will keep the reactor stuffed with water once they are up to speed..also use tesseracts for that.

unstoppableN

Jul 29, 2019
This was a super annoying problem on the crackpack server I'm playing on.
The tesseracts provided an easy fix.
Thanks!