Pulverizer is better than Macerator In GregTec

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ExEvolution

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone feel like this is an issue? The pulverizer is much easier to make than the macerator, and it does everything that it can do, faster, and also has a chance to generate Diamonds from Nikolite mined with a silk touch pickaxe which the macerator can't even do.

I think its an issue that the gregtech recipe for the macerator requires nether access to get the glowstone needed for an advanced circuit but the rarest material that the pulverizer needs is 2 gold ingots.

CrafterOfMines57

Jul 29, 2019
The Macerator does not necessarily require Nether access, you just need 8 gold and 10 redstone for glowstone dust.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
and also has a chance to generate Diamonds from Nikolite mined with a silk touch pickaxe which the macerator can't even do.
GregTech gives it that capability, from what I can tell, so considering it's supposed to be a hardmode mod... take that up with Greg.

I think its an issue that the gregtech recipe for the macerator requires nether access to get the glowstone needed for an advanced circuit but the rarest material that the pulverizer needs is 2 gold ingots.
I'm assuming you're using the Mindcrack pack and not your own installation. Thermal Expansion has options in its config for alternative crafting recipes for the Pulverizer and Induction Smelter that adds 2 Diamonds to each of them. It's meant to be used for the people that like ore doubling to be not available so early and so cheap... like those that use GregTech's default configs. The problem is that config setting was either overlooked, ignored, or for whatever reason opted out of (considering it's said Guude/the Mindcrack guys wanted GregTech turned up to 11, I find that last one unlikely). Yes, the Pulverizer still winds up cheaper even with that recipe, but it would at least help shrink the gap more.

TruculentMC

Jul 29, 2019
There are at least 3 ways to get Glowstone without going to the Nether ;)

And indeed it's a big shame the expensive Pulverizer and Induction Smelter recipes were not turned on for MindCrack pack to go along with GregTech hardmodes.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, right, something I forgot to mention earlier. For the basic metal ores, the Induction Smelter trumps the Pulverizer. Both are needed to actually put the Rich Slag to use, but going with the Induction Smelter first pays out more in the long-run.

Malkuth

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone feel like this is an issue? The pulverizer is much easier to make than the macerator, and it does everything that it can do, faster, and also has a chance to generate Diamonds from Nikolite mined with a silk touch pickaxe which the macerator can't even do.

Actually a fully updated Macerator with Overclockers, power upgrades and Transformer upgrades.. Blows a pulverizer away.. In fact it would take more then one pulverizer to touch an upgraded macerator.

AliasXNeo

Jul 29, 2019
Actually a fully updated Macerator with Overclockers, power upgrades and Transformer upgrades.. Blows a pulverizer away.. In fact it would take more then one pulverizer to touch an upgraded macerator.

And how exactly is that cheaper?

Malkuth

Jul 29, 2019
And how exactly is that cheaper?

Its cheaper because a macerator the original is not expensive.. If your using greg tech then yes its more expensive.. But not everyone uses Mindcrack version.

Oh and the actual title is the Pulverizer is better then the Macertor..

In which case it is not.

AliasXNeo

Jul 29, 2019
Its cheaper because a macerator the original is not expensive.. If your using greg tech then yes its more expensive.. But not everyone uses Mindcrack version.

Have you bothered to look at the recipes for all those upgrades? By the time that you have the Macerator up to part with the Pulverizer, you could probably have built 2 - 3 more Pulverizers.

Malkuth

Jul 29, 2019
Have you bothered to look at the recipes for all those upgrades? By the time that you have the Macerator up to part with the Pulverizer, you could probably have built 2 - 3 more Pulverizers.

Ya been playing for a little bit.. Your talking about cost.. The original post is about whats better. The pulverizer is cool. But the macerator is still better because you can upgrade it.

And its not really that expensive to upgrade a macerator. Sorry.

I do it all the time.. Many times.

Again Greg Tech does not count.. Greg Tech changes the recipts of IC2.. IC2 original is not expensive at all. SO you should be a little bit more fair in your critique of IC2 Macerator..

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
4 Copper, 4 Tin, and 9 Iron (11 if you go with the Induction Smelter instead) is not cheaper than 2 Gold, and you can get straight to mining for the metals rather than spend time hunting for rubber after an unlucky spawn. That's the starting costs for ore processing with the default recipes, not GregTech. Don't forget, the Macerator is useless without a Generator. The Macerator is cheaper to produce after you already have a basic power infrastructure because you only need one Generator, but it is NOT cheaper to start out with at all.

Gold isn't the metal people have had a hard time finding. It's Copper and Tin, which the TE machines are light on.

And on a final note, you're ignoring the fact that the Pulverizer/Induction Smelter give extra ore yield and extra goodies, which the Macerator absolutely cannot do currently, even from upgrades. When ores are distributed in such a way as to make players choose which machines they really want to use, as is their stated intent, extra yield is a big deal. Being faster isn't enough when it's the only attribute in the Macerator's favor.

I could understand your side if all you were stating was that the Macerator is cheaper to make once you've already got started, even if it is a stretch, but claiming the Macerator is better completely breaks suspension of disbelief.

AliasXNeo

Jul 29, 2019
Ya been playing for a little bit.. Your talking about cost.. The original post is about whats better. The pulverizer is cool. But the macerator is still better because you can upgrade it.

And its not really that expensive to upgrade a macerator. Sorry.

I do it all the time.. Many times.

Again Greg Tech does not count.. Greg Tech changes the recipts of IC2.. IC2 original is not expensive at all. SO you should be a little bit more fair in your critique of IC2 Macerator..

Go to roughly 4:00. This was with Beta Pack A, and things may have changed between now and then, but the above video demonstrates a speed test done by me between the two.

Also, cost is a necessary comparison. Since cost is a balancing factor, it plays a big role in figuring out if something is 'better'.

Finally, this will be the first post I have used the word Gregtech in. I don't know why you're bringing it up.

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Again Greg Tech does not count..

It only doesn't count if you ignore the OP which set the scenario as GT-enabled / no hard Pulverizer recipe. King Lemming is specifically making a balanced recipe for use in this setting (diamonds, steel in machine frame, etc).

In either balanced scenario (standard recipes on both blocks / hard recipes on both blocks) I still give the edge to the Pulverizer due to the extra output, but really it's just a matter of preference and which energy net you start with.

Malkuth

Jul 29, 2019
Guess we all have different opinion.. When it come to doing a job, the fastest machine is the macerator because of upgrades easy. when it comes to cost without greg tech.. If you can build a pulverizer you can build a Macerator. I never have hard time with tin or copper in fact the killing grace from me early on is always rubber.

But the pulverizer needs energy too to run.. Which means you either need to go with TE own version of energy.. Which is way more expensive early then IC2.. Or you need buildcraft power.

IC2 you can have power running with some lava and Geothermal generator.. Easy.

Buildcraft power you need coal. You need coal for simpliest IC2 power too.. But lava is better. Or charcoal.. Which you need trees.

So the power thing is a non issue. Both machines require power.

You build a macertor. Spend the time with it,, it can grow with your base. Becoming faster as you get more resources.

Witht he Pulversizer you stuck with the same machine the whole game..

If your worried about cost.. Think about that.

What you going to do build a pulverizer first... Then build a macerator after to get faster ore processing? HOws that cheaper?

And the whole diamond thing is a non issue.. The macertor can make diamonds too.. Yes you need an extra machine to do it.. But industrial diamonds are a possibility if you have a good supply of coal.

I love TE.. Thermal Expansion with just about everything else is far superior to IC2 or Buildcraft.. But the pulverizer is not better then the Macerator.. Sorry.

Malkuth

Jul 29, 2019
It only doesn't count if you ignore the OP which set the scenario as GT-enabled / no hard Pulverizer recipe. King Lemming is specifically making a balanced recipe for use in this setting (diamonds, steel in machine frame, etc).

In either balanced scenario (standard recipes on both blocks / hard recipes on both blocks) I still give the edge to the Pulverizer due to the extra output, but really it's just a matter of preference and which energy net you start with.

Well thats not really fair is it. because there should be not complaint then.. GT changes the reciepts of IC2 but not thermal expansion.. Without gregtech both reciepts are about the same cost wise.. TE might be a little bit easier because of the rubber issues.. But defualt IC2 machines and defualt TE machines are roughly the same.

If we want to talk about fairness.. Then the argument is how TE makes GT useless. SInce the hardmode is not an issue with TE.. Or Factorization. Just skip over IC2 all together and you can build the same speed as regular IC2.. Which negates the whole purpose of GT.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
But the pulverizer needs energy too to run.. Which means you either need to go with TE own version of energy.. Which is way more expensive early then IC2.. Or you need buildcraft power.
Stirling Engine. 1 Iron, 1 Redstone. I included the engine in the earlier cost comparison.
You build a macertor. Spend the time with it,, it can grow with your base. Becoming faster as you get more resources.

Witht he Pulversizer you stuck with the same machine the whole game..
After video evidence that a Pulverizer manages to match a Macerator with 4 Overclockers? What the video did not point out is that the Macerator is faster the more energy it has in its buffer, and by the time he got to 4 Overclockers, it was already missing at least a fourth of its energy.
What you going to do build a pulverizer first... Then build a macerator after to get faster ore processing? HOws that cheaper?
No, I'd only build a Macerator once I decide I'd like to start making Diamonds, and that isn't until I manage to get Fortune III, so it takes a while. By then, I have plenty of metals for machines.

You sound sentimental about the Macerator. I'm interested in numbers, especially yields, not sentimentality.

Malkuth

Jul 29, 2019
Stirling Engine. 1 Iron, 1 Redstone. I included the engine in the earlier cost comparison.After video evidence that a Pulverizer manages to match a Macerator with 4 Overclockers? What the video did not point out is that the Macerator is faster the more energy it has in its buffer, and by the time he got to 4 Overclockers, it was already missing at least a fourth of its energy.No, I'd only build a Macerator once I decide I'd like to start making Diamonds, and that isn't until I manage to get Fortune III, so it takes a while. By then, I have plenty of metals for machines.

You sound sentimental about the Macerator. I'm interested in numbers, especially yields, not sentimentality.

If your only putting 4 overclockers in your Macerator your doing it wrong.

I have 12. With an MFSU. Of course this is part of the whole the macerator grows with your Base.. And the Pulverizer does not.

Shit I have 4 Upgraders in my system when I build my first Macerator.[DOUBLEPOST=1357085071][/DOUBLEPOST]
Stirling Engine. 1 Iron, 1 Redstone. I included the engine in the earlier cost comparison.After video evidence that a Pulverizer manages to match a Macerator with 4 Overclockers? What the video did not point out is that the Macerator is faster the more energy it has in its buffer, and by the time he got to 4 Overclockers, it was already missing at least a fourth of its energy.No, I'd only build a Macerator once I decide I'd like to start making Diamonds, and that isn't until I manage to get Fortune III, so it takes a while. By then, I have plenty of metals for machines.

Has nothing to do with sentimental. The macerator is just plain better, and grows with you.

If you want numbers put 12 overclockers, mfsu, 2 Transformer upgrades and 3 energy upgrades in and figure it out.

I understand what your trying to say.. But for me.. Its not about cost.. Because I can build a simple macerator that can give double my ores.. The same thing can be done with Pulverizer..

After awhile the macerator gets upgraded gets faster... Dont have to wait as long to process things...

the pulverizer still takes just as long as it did when I first got it... So now its sitting in the back.. doing nothing. LOL.

But again its just opinions.. We just have different ones.