Protection vs Fire Protection

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
This is more vanilla mechanics than a "mod" but hey, vanilla adds a set of blocks and other things so its a mod too right? :p

Anyhow:
Ive never been too clear on: Does the Protection Enchant protect from fire damage?

My reading of the mechanics is that Protection IV on all 4 armor pieces will reach the protection cap (80%).
The only advantage that Fire protection could offer is reduced burn duration, but there is no documentation on how that stacks at all. I suspect it stacks like thorns (i.e. it doesn't stack, only the "best" enchant applies).

I.e. the best "fire protection" suit would be Fire Protection IV on one item, and Protection IV on the remaining 3 - will achieve "good" protection against all forms of damage, cap protection against fire *and* minimize burn time.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
I've heard that it is better to get 1 of each type of protection at level IV. It looks like there is a complicated formula including a random factor, but it all stacks up to the cap. From the official wiki:

"When a player or mob wearing armor is subjected to damage, the EPFs of all applicable enchantments are added together, capped at 25, multiplied by a random value between 50% and 100%, rounded up, and capped again at 20. The damage is then reduced by 4% per point of total effective EPF (for example, a total effective EPF of 20 reduces damage by 80%)."

The EPFs vary by type, at level IV they are: protection = 5; fire protection = 9; blast protection = 11; projectile protection = 11; feather falling = 18.

4 protection IVs = initial EPF of 20 vs all types of damage; 3 protection IVs + 1 fire protection IV = initial EPF of 15 vs most damage but 24 vs fire damage.

It also looks like the armor reduction is applied 1st, then the enchantment reduction is applied to the damage that would have gotten through the armor.

I think what I had heard previously (in MC 1.4.x days) was that each type would only stack up to level IV, but this seems to indicate otherwise.

Last edited:

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
So,

4x Protection IV is going to yield EPFs of 10-20 (after first cap and "reduction). For an effective protection vs all damage of 40-80% (60% average).

3x Protection IV + 1x Fire Protection IV is going to yield a max EPF of 24 for a range of 12-24 before capping. The resulting effective EPF is the average of the set [12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,20,20,20,20]. Basically 75%.

So, there are benefits to going with a fire protection set ...

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I'd knly link a video if it was short

I thank you kindly. A frustrating scenario is trying to learn something very specific from a 30-minute LP video where what you want to learn is mentioned a few times, but not at the same time. You have to watch the whole damn thing and assemble the pieces to get the answer.

4 mins I can handle nicely, thank you :)