Project Ouroboros - the steam-based overunity machine

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
Gosh, that's a lot of boilers. What silliness am I up to now?

2013-04-17_00.15.56.png

All this machinery turns steam to EU to oil to fuel. To more steam. There are twelve boilers total feeding three refineries, because two refineries wasn't fast enough.

2013-04-17_00.16.34.png

Steam exits via the liquid tesseracts and becomes EU using PowerConverters again anywhere it is needed. Fuel is piped into the tank at the top and comes back out the bottom as needed, and the 8x8x9 tank is rapidly filling up because this process is about 139% efficient. My setup does about 930 eu/t and could probably go a bit higher if I tapped the boilers more, but I want there to be a bit of fuel left over until the tank is full.

930 eu/t is also enough to hold a MFFS shield around a scale replica Castillo de San Marcos.

The mod authors obviously did not intend for their products to be used this way. I feel that the energy output of Ouroboros is balanced by the extravagant steel cost, the colossal space requirements and the patience needed to build and heat up twelve steam boilers. There is also a substantial FPS drop in the boiler room due to all the moving animated stuff needed to make it work, especially the oil fabricators.

On the plus side it is completely immune to night-time and bad weather, and it does look rather cool if I do say so myself.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I'm so glad we didn't let you to include those Dave.

Looks great though grats on the pretty build :).

steelblueskies

Jul 29, 2019
it's not impressive power output until you are massfabricating uu without scrap in 1 tick per, steadily.
bee's or mfr oil fab for your source?
hows the tickrate impact vs say ultimate hybrids straight out? love powerconverters but they seem to be a bad general performance hog.

that aside looks great, and i am now obliged to hate you forever for the seemingly perfect silverwood pattern, perfectly centered. unless you sheared a few and "made" it by hand..

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I'm so glad we didn't let you to include those Dave.

Looks great though grats on the pretty build :).

Set a tesseract to public biofuel and proceed to destroy this power output without a power loop. DoctorOr's bees are... DoctorOr's bees are terrifying.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Love that base! And all those boilers. Nice!

So, this makes me wonder, is the following going to net me an endless fuel supply, or do I waste fuel doing this?
EU is used to power a bank of Oil Fabricators > Oil Tank > Refineries > Fuel > Liquid-fired 36HP Boilers > Steam Turbines to make the EU

Besides spinning the Steam Turbines, steam from the Boilers also powers the Refineries via Industrial Steam Engines.

Somehow I feel this isn't going to be the +Fuel loop I was dreaming of....

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
it's not impressive power output until you are massfabricating uu without scrap in 1 tick per, steadily.
bee's or mfr oil fab for your source?
hows the tickrate impact vs say ultimate hybrids straight out? love powerconverters but they seem to be a bad general performance hog.

that aside looks great, and i am now obliged to hate you forever for the seemingly perfect silverwood pattern, perfectly centered. unless you sheared a few and "made" it by hand..

I'll need to work with the server owner to accurately test the impact of Ouroboros on the tickrate of the server as a whole. It is a strong server so the only noticeable issue is the FPS drop from the oil fabricators.

An army of bees is in the works. The silverwood just grew like that :)

what server is this?

An awesome one, which is private and whitelisted to cut down on the derp. We still have a fair amount of derp though.

Yeah i get that, i was wondering about doing it without Power Converters.

It won't work. PowerConverters makes a lot more EU per steam than Railcraft's in-house solution.

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
I LOVE that replica of the old fort (I live in the large city about an hour north from there), I have been there many times, and am proud to say I lost my virginity on the front lawn, facing the Matanzas bay. I also lived on a dilapidated sailboat moored in the harbor at Mission of Nombre de Dios, right down the street, home of the worlds tallest cross. (Google it)

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
That is a lot of space for just 12 boilers. IF you want to pack it in tighter use teseracts. One Liquid tesseract channel can carry both the water and fuel to all the boilers, combined with the fact that two boilers can share an output tesseract and you only need 1 input tesseract and 1/2 boilers output tesseracts. Obviously you would use liquiducts in extract mode to get the steam out. I am unsure how many you need, Once you consider sharing I gave each boiler 8 dedicated extraction liquiducts, but that was almost certainly overkill.

As far as the performance hit. I just shut off my array of 36 boilers to see if it would result in any performance difference, and it barely registered (My server is not at all beefy either, just a cheap $8 a month server). My FPS when I was nearby however is a different matter entirely.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
I was thinking of replicating this on the server I play on to power a Matter Fab. It looks amazing!

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I knew that build was familiar. I've been dragged to that place so many times as a kid. I miss the coquina cutting my hands (lol