Problem with Applied Energistics - sudden power loss

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shabazza

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using Applied Energistics, TE and BigReactors (all newest versions for MC 1.6.4) on my FTB server and today problems arised with the power supply for my ME system.

All of a sudden the ME controller loses all its power and the system goes offline.
But my power supply (a BigReactor which provides x times the needed power as RF) is online, the cabeling (Redstone energy conduits) is intact and I don't see any reason for the power loss.
Removing a piece of conduit coming from the BigReactor and replacing it, resets the system and it starts again.
But after a few minutes, it goes offline again.
Other machines (MFR) are not affected. So it seems to be a Applied Energistics problem.

Does anyone know this problem and can help to solve it?
I'm using those mods in the same versions in singleplayer and never had such a weird problem with AE.

Reactions: snoopsy3101

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried installing an energy cell between your power network and the ME system? Might help in debugging, and give a buffer in case of it being your energy network having issues.

Shabazza

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried installing an energy cell between your power network and the ME system? Might help in debugging, and give a buffer in case of it being your energy network having issues.
The BigReactor has a 10M RF internal Buffer and the ME-System has an additional energy cell with 40000 MJ equivalent attached.

Any chance the cabling is on a chunk border and the chunk gets unloaded :3?
It's actually happening when I'm standing right in front of it. The reactor is 20m away from the small ME system. So unloaded chunks should not be an issue here.

It happens in unregular intervals. But most of the time after 5-10 minutes.
But it started today. The last 3 days the ME system is up there was no problem at all.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Is it reactor -> energy cell -> rf conduits -> me controller?

If so, try to look for any stray Redstone signals that could be affecting your energy cell, or put it in ignore mode. Because of the buffer built into most machines, they won't notice right away if the energy gets cut off. The me controller however will notice right away.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Is it reactor -> energy cell -> rf conduits -> me controller?

If so, try to look for any stray Redstone signals that could be affecting your energy cell, or put it in ignore mode. Because of the buffer built into most machines, they won't notice right away if the energy gets cut off. The me controller however will notice right away.
The periodic nature of the error could also be explained by the ME system running off the internal buffer of the Redstone Energy Conduit(which is something like 60k RF). So if the supply to the Conduit is cut somehow the ME system will continue to run for a while until this buffer is empty.

Derpysauce

Aug 29, 2013
Ben shapiro
I would just say have a button that activates a autonomous activater picking up a conduit then placing it back you could also set up a clock to auto do this

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
How big is this ME system? If it's really really big it may not have enough energy flowing to it to run at all. Also energy needs spike when it's busses/ autocrafting are automating things
Try higher load cables or putting it directly on a cell output.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
In Agrarian Skies, I got this kind of disconnect "all the time". Well, it wasn't all the time. My entire base was less than 160mx160m, so I should never have moved far enough from any part of it to unload, but I definitely had a few segments of TE conduit that would stop transmitting power for no discernible reason. The only remedy was to wrench them out and replace them.

I compensated for the glitching by building more energy cells into the network, so that the individual runs of cable where shorter, and the energy 'readout' on the energy cell would tell me which sub-net wasn't working. In AgS 2.1.4 I didn't notice any machines loosing power, so I thought the problem was resolved.

Reactions: Shabazza

Siigari

Aug 27, 2013
Portland, Oregon
AE has always been kind of weird. I used to be able to get my ME powered infinitely somehow without hooking it up to an actual power source. It's really glitchy.

After reading your OP, a thought might be to break all the ME cables and power cables and re-lay them. I know it's a pain, but doing that a couple times before has fixed my problems. Are you using a Quantum Network Bridge at all?

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
Based on what I have seen: Make sure the whole area is chunk loaded and avoid using the power relay.

Shabazza

Jul 29, 2019
Based on what I have seen: Make sure the whole area is chunk loaded and avoid using the power relay.
Avoid using the power relay? I'm actually using it to charge the portable access terminal device. What the problem with it?
Should I set up a dedicated small network for this? (Controller + PowerRelay) to avoid trouble?

Are you using a Quantum Network Bridge at all?
It's a small ME System. There are about 10 nodes currently connected. So not quantum bridge yet.
Re-laying the cables would be managable. I don't have that much cabling right now.
I guess I will try that.

How big is this ME system? If it's really really big it may not have enough energy flowing to it to run at all. Also energy needs spike when it's busses/ autocrafting are automating things
Try higher load cables or putting it directly on a cell output.
I'm using Redstone Energy Conduits to woer the ME controller (and everything else) and my reactor outputs about 50x the power the ME system needs.
The system is still very small. I have no automation besides one autocraftig table for bread production.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
Avoid using the power relay? I'm actually using it to charge the portable access terminal device. What the problem with it?
Should I set up a dedicated small network for this? (Controller + PowerRelay) to avoid trouble?
I was using it to connect the power to the ME network elsewhere, rather than by a conduit directly on the controller. With that setup I also experienced sudden power outage even though everything was connected and had plenty of power. If you have a conduit connected directly to the controller that shouldn't be a problem though (not sure if that actually was the problem I saw either, I'm only guessing).

Shabazza

Jul 29, 2019
I now built kind of a RESET circuit with two autonomous activators, an obsidian pipe and some redstone.
So one can reset the TE network with a lever. But this is a silly workaround and I don't know if it will be reliable.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019

Just use an energetic infuser. I believe MFE, MFSU etc. works as well for charging it.

Shabazza

Jul 29, 2019
I already have an energetic infuser. But I didn't know it can charge the ME wireless access terminal. oO
I removed the power relay.

I was using it to connect the power to the ME network elsewhere, rather than by a conduit directly on the controller. With that setup I also experienced sudden power outage even though everything was connected and had plenty of power.
Now that you say it,the problem arised after 3 days with the ME system up and running.
I believe I built the power relay at this time.
So hopefully the problem will be gone now.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
I now built kind of a RESET circuit with two autonomous activators, an obsidian pipe and some redstone.
So one can reset the TE network with a lever. But this is a silly workaround and I don't know if it will be reliable.
Just use a dark cable...

Shabazza

Jul 29, 2019
Hm. After removing the power relay, the problem still occurs. So no solution yet.
But at least my RESET circuit does work.

Question is: Why have I never had any problems in single player with this?
I'm using AE in all my worlds.

My next attemp is to power the ME system with EU instead of MJ. Perharps this will help.

EDIT:
OK, after several hours running on EU, it seems like the problem is gone.
So something has to be weird when using TE conduits to power the ME system.

Last edited:

Ripley

Jul 29, 2019
It's not specific to ME, I had similar issues(a while ago though) with conduits that stop sending energy to mekanism machines.
Etho has similar problems with TE conduits that stop sending energy to the MFR spawners on his youtube crackpack series.
I'd recommend switching to ender IO conduits, never had any issues with them :).