Prevent mobs from despawning (MFR mob farm)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
Heya!

I would like to build a mob farm, but now that soulshards is not what it used to be, Im having a problem because if im far from my base monsters will still spawn, consume my mob essence, and immediatly despawn.

Is there a way I can prevent this from happening, other than building the farm in a separate, empty age? (a fake player somehow, etc)

Thank you!

lazaruz76

Jul 29, 2019
What he said (looks up). Apply a Redstone signal to the spawner, that will shut it off. If you have way of detecting when you are within range you could automate the shut off. I just find it easier to use a manual toggle. I love watching them die.

Side note: It appears as the blizz will attack other mobs. Experimentation is in order.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Turn it off when you're not near your base. If you have doors, you can always hook up some redstone to a pressure plate on the outside to turn it off. You should be able to make a seperate age with the mob spawner running which shouldn't cause them to despawn since you're in a different dimension.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
That's odd my mobspawner keeps running even when I'm offline and they don't despawn..maybe it's due to them being spawned via cursed earth?

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
Ill try with cursed earth.

The turning off when not around is easy to implement, but what happens if I wanted to power my base off mob-drops? Or ensure a supply of items when im not around (bonemeal for the treefarm that does power my base for example)?

Im not to that point yet, but wanted to plan ahead.

Ill try to find a sigil and give that a go :)

Kahless61

Jul 29, 2019
I'm assuming the mod Dev implemented this in order to fix the issue where people would leave on spawners without an automatic killing machine or the killing machine would get backlogged and thus kill a server. Had that happen on one or two of the servers I was on.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
I'm assuming the mod Dev implemented this in order to fix the issue where people would leave on spawners without an automatic killing machine or the killing machine would get backlogged and thus kill a server. Had that happen on one or two of the servers I was on.

Well, no, I think the mobs despawn naturally as per vanilla rules.

The mod dev simply has taken no extra measures so it doenst happen (soulshards mod did prevent the despawn somehow, and i assume the same mechanism is applied to mobs when using the jailers safari net)

Whats the simplest way to detect player presence?

IMarvinTPA

Jul 29, 2019
Put your mob spawner in the End and don't visit it. The mobs despawn if the nearest person is 129+ blocks away. But they also do not despawn if there are NO players in the dimension. (I figure you'll visit the nether more than the end.) If you have Mystcraft, make a specific age for it.

IMarv

Reactions: PierceSG

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Put your mob spawner in the End and don't visit it. The mobs despawn if the nearest person is 129+ blocks away. But they also do not despawn if there are NO players in the dimension. (I figure you'll visit the nether more than the end.) If you have Mystcraft, make a specific age for it.

IMarv
Nice, I assume this will work nicely in a SSP world with a chunkloader in the End?

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

IMarvinTPA

Jul 29, 2019
Nice, I assume this will work nicely in a SSP world with a chunkloader in the End?

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk
I assumed that there would be a chunkloader anyway. And it works in both Single and Multiplayer. (Although it may be harder to keep people out of the end.)

IMarv