Preferred Java Version..

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

nvrsbr

Jul 29, 2019
I just wanted to find out what Java version everyone uses for the FTB packs (especially Monster).
Also how much memory do you give to Java via the slider in the Launcher.

I am using Java 8 (11 not 20) with 6gbs gievn to Java. (Java is 64bit).
I have tried 7 and 8 but still dont get very good performance from either.
Sometimes its running fine other times it is horrible.

My PC is well over what it should take to run FTB Monster.

I would like to hear some tips and tricks that you have found out over the last while that helpeed you get better performance.

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
I Use Java 8 Version 50

I give 2gb to the launcher ( You will start having problems above 2gb)

Can I have a specs list of your pc?

nvrsbr

Jul 29, 2019
Where di you get Java 8 version 50 from ? Are you from the future?

AMD CPU (4 cores) 3.65gb I think (dont have actual model in front of me but its not very old).
12gb of memory
Nvidia GTX 750Ti
FTBruns on a Solid State Drive

Latest Nvidia Drivers
Already gave Java version

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
You Mean 3.65 GHz

Ok, That should run most FTB Packs. Monster takes a really good computer to run all the mods.

nvrsbr

Jul 29, 2019
You Mean 3.65 GHz

Ok, That should run most FTB Packs. Monster takes a really good computer to run all the mods.

Sorry yeah ghz (its been a long day so far).

And yeah my PC should run Monster with zero issues.
It actually used to run with ZERO issues, not sure what changed.

You never said where you got this magical version of Java 8 from since there is no 50 :D
There is a 40 (https://jdk8.java.net/download.html)

And only put it to 6gb cause of some other posts that I had read, I figured it may have been overkill.

Last edited:

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019

Those are dev builds, please stay the fuck away from those unless you are a programmer. The last thing we need is people using that and trying to run programs leading to false bug reports.[DOUBLEPOST=1409956465][/DOUBLEPOST]Which processor exactly do you have? Is this a fresh world? AMD processors tend to shit the bed with large modpacks and developed world just because of the lower performance per core.

nvrsbr

Jul 29, 2019
But still no one is saying what version of java they are using (well one person did).

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Java 8 Version 20. People say it causes problems, but it works fine on both my Ubuntu servers.

Shabazza

Jul 29, 2019
Java 8 is not released for the normal user. Only for devs. There is no point in using it as a player yet.
Better use the latest stable Java 7 release.
Java 8 may even cause problems because many things have changed. FTB/Minecraft is not even ready for Java 7 explicitly. It's made for Java 6.
RAM is not everything. If you press F3 you can monitor your RAM usage. I bet it's way below 3 GB, if you configured your start parameters to have a smaller starting value.
Better have a look at your graphic settings. Maybe using Optifine can help you find a suitable setup.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Java 8 is not released for the normal user. Only for devs. There is no point in using it as a player yet.
Better use the latest stable Java 7 release.
Java 8 may even cause problems because many things have changed. FTB/Minecraft is not even ready for Java 7 explicitly. It's made for Java 6.
RAM is not everything. If you press F3 you can monitor your RAM usage. I bet it's way below 3 GB, if you configured your start parameters to have a smaller starting value.
Better have a look at your graphic settings. Maybe using Optifine can help you find a suitable setup.

Java 8 is fine for users, Java 9 is not.
FTB/MC has worked fine on Java 7 for years now.
Java 8 has minimal problems.