Plundered land 2: Apocalyptic Lands (Jampacked 2)

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm coming back for round two, this time with more than just one week.

The goal here is simple. "Bake a cake". That's what the sign will say at your start.

With the giant mushrooms. And mushroom cows.

... why is the ground red (netherrack)? And why is the sea nothing but lava?

First development stream: http://www.twitch.tv/keybounce, tomorrow (saturday the 11th) about 2 pm pacific. Topic: Play with biome tweaker, biome tops. Goal: Nether mobs/full netherrack in the plateaus, savanna plateau M's unchanged.

===

Plans for Plundered Land 2: Apocalyptic Land:

0. At your spawn, will be signs introducing the map, a starter chest containing supplies/tools/HQM books, etc.

There will also be a sign saying "Bake a cake (blame Slowpoke)."

1. In PL1, the first quest was "It's minecraft, punch a tree". On getting a block of wood, you got a "starter chest" of wooden tools and supplies.

Here, the quest is "It's minecraft, punch a ... tree?". You start on a mushroom island. Harder Wildlife will be set to kill every tree possible. A very few, scattered ones may survive, primarily in jungles. Dying trees will leave behind decaying logs, compost, and leaf droppings.

This means apples, saplings, and compost. Compost can turn into grass. Saplings will be furnace fuel.

2. "Silly Biome tops", or Biome Tweaker (or both), will be used to change the biome tops. No more dirt/grass/etc.

Netherrack and sand on top.
Netherrack and sandstone as filler.

Water, from 67 down to 42, will be turned into lava.
Water below that (deep oceans) will be left alone.
Extreme hills will have ponds that are intact. But, they may freeze over, depending on the season (harder wildlife) when you find them.

3. There will be finite water. To test: Finite water, the mod, to have the surviving water flood down into caves, run into the lava down there, etc. Depending on how well that works, I will use either ChickenBone's normal 1.7 finite water (still has infinite flow down the mountain from a stationary source block), or the finite water mod (the source blocks will flow down, leaving little puddles at the bottom).

4. "Bake a cake" will be a goal. Harder Wildlife will be set to kill chickens very rapidly (remember, no grass for them to "feed" on, so they will age, and grow old). You are expected to never see a natural chicken egg.

This means that eggs will be hard to find.

5. Silly biome tops will result in tall grass dying as it takes block ticks. If that makes seeds too easy to get (early testing says yes), then biome tweaker will be used instead to prevent the tall grass from being planted in the first place. So wheat seeds are going to be hard to get. Cake will probably require you to get dirt from underground digging, compost to turn that dirt into grass, bonemeal to get seeds, and then farming those seeds into wheat.

This means wheat will be hard to get.

6. You start on a mushroom island, and you have mushroom cows. But last time I tried, I could not milk a mushroom cow with a bucket. And wood is going to be rare. Those cows can be killed for leather and steak, but they will likely die before you can get shears and a bucket for milk. Normally spawned cows will also be hard to get.

Ultimately, you'll have to get grass from your composted bonemealed farm prep zone, and get natural spawns of random animals there.

Or, maybe I'll provide one cow egg somewhere. Milk will be hard to get.

"Bake a cake", when eggs, milk, and wheat are all hard to get? What's next, no good source of sugar cane? (Didn't I mention something about water being turned to lava ...)

7. Limonite, not normal iron ore, will be found in the overworld. Beaches and rivers, in the sand. This means that these biomes will keep sand as a topper block, and get sandstone/netherrack as the fillers.

This means limonite will be in short supply. And, since limonite is only 1/9th of an iron, iron will be in short supply.

You are only expected to get buckets, possibly a shear, from limonite.

8. Having a bucket means you can get into the nether much easier. Once there, you have normal plundered land iron on the top of the nether, and diamonds on the bottom. The twilight forest awaits.

9. TF hollow hills have ores, as normal. The mediums are where you get your redstone. Iron is easy enough to get in these hills.

Additionally, silly biome tops will only play in the overworld. TF will be unchanged.

So TF has grass for wheat, chickens for eggs, a cow-substitute (which I just realized I've never tried milking ...), and sugar cane at water. The cake is no longer a lie.

10. Mystcraft will be included. Linking books will be an early HQM lesson. Given the increased lethality of the nether, you will be taught to use an overworld linking book before your nether trip. Starting supplies will include 3 blank linking books.

Book binders, however, will require gold, not iron. This should make it post-nether, or post-TF. An iron ore page will be provided as an early treasure. Redstone ore also.

11. RfTools will be included. Rf Dimensions can be powered from RotaryCraft -- so once you get some power going, you can avoid the instability issues of mystcraft.

12. Nether. COG will replace most of the nether ceiling with stone. Harder Underground will turn that into unstable stone. I will try to tweak it so that the nether roof doesn't collapse on you before you start, but there will be seriously increased risk of collapse in the nether from all this.

Oh yea -- the roof is where the nether iron is.
Don't forget, Harder Underground gives all that gas, that will want to float up to the roof. Breathing up there might be difficult. But you can make an air pocket with a torch, just like water, remember?

13. Hell biomes. The savanna plateaus will be changed, with biome tweaker, to look like hell. This means ground blocks will be netherrack instead of stone, and the liquid will be lava instead of water. Nether quartz will be in the ground, if I can manage it, and nether mobs will spawn.

14. Plateau mutants (the plateau F, M, and FM) will have unchanged biome tops. If you can get there, climb the hillside, and deal with nether mobs, you have real grass, trees, flowers (and chirping birds). Basket weavers not included.

Hmm, maybe some iron at the top of the hills? ... Sure, why not.

Diamonds are still in the nether. Gold and redstone are still in the nether and twilight forest. Industrial coils still need a visit there.

15. The primary end goal (HQM book): Charge an industrial coil, with the V6 nerf. This means either 4 steam engines, in a finite water world, or one gasoline engine. Either of these will be much easier to do in the TF than in the overworld.

16. Stretch goals:
1. Bake a cake. (The sign at your start. If you never use the HQM book, that is your only goal.)
2. Using two coils as a battery (one set for high torque, one set for high speed), run an extractor at very high speeds, to process at least 60 ores in 5 seconds or less. A manual "on" switch/button is acceptable, as is a manual switch between the two coils. Time to switch is not counted against you. Note that both stage 1 and 4 need the high torque coil, so don't use it all up on stage 1.
3. Automate the switchover of the coil. A manual "start" button is the only acceptable UI for this goal.

===
To recap: With not using the HQM book, your goal is just make a cake.
With the HQM book, your goal is a rotarycraft industrial coil, but the HQM book can give you bonus rewards.

Chazwade

Jul 29, 2019
Been a while since I used rotarycraft but I'm fairly sure Reika requires you ask permission before using their mods, I assume you've done so? Just don't want you to spend ages on a pack which you don't have the rights to distribute :)

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, I got the permissions back in Jampacked for 164, this is just a 1710 update to that.

Rotarycraft has gone from being "Abuse tech tree bugs to get a bedrock breaker from hydro engines", to "Charge an industrial coil" (which now takes 4 steam engines or a gas engine. Gas is not going to be easy to make, almost all of the ingredients are hard to find, and steam ... it's a finite water world with lava oceans in the overworld.)

Chazwade

Jul 29, 2019
As far as I'm aware, permission isn't specific to you using the mod, it's to it being used in the Modpack you enquire about, so the permission may not actually still apply as this is a different pack

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
So finally, significant progress. I solved some issues tonight ... now to see what people think.

A lot of mushroom cows, enough to cause over-population
2015-04-24_20.20.41.png

Ground is kinda chaotic. That's sandstone and netherrack on the surface right now.
2015-04-24_20.19.41.png

Tops of the plateau's have dead trees, decaying logs, and saplings
2015-04-24_20.16.52.png

Some things still need a little work ... don't expect to see this in release ...
2015-04-24_20.09.10.png

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
As far as I'm aware, permission isn't specific to you using the mod, it's to it being used in the Modpack you enquire about, so the permission may not actually still apply as this is a different pack

Ahh. Then, I will re-obtain permission.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Current issues:
1. Seasons break twilight forest -- it does not clamp temp and humidity to (0,1) when getting colors, so as the seasons change, the color goes out of range. As HarderWildlife does not currently permit dimension-exclusions, seasons are off. This means that extreme hills, and cold biomes, are going to be snowy, and never get a warm summer to melt the snow. Bring some torches.
2. Realistic fluids works very well -- I like. At the moment, it conflicts with CofhCore, so RfTools is out. There's a work-around, but it requires getting a dev environment up and running, and recompiling Fluids with a small change. This is low priority, and currently means I won't "nerf" mystcraft ages with guaranteed instability. (This was to give you a reason to move to RfTools).
3. HarderUnderground is "mostly" working -- but tonight's testing gave "runaway" rock gas from a very large rockfall. We don't know what/where it was triggered, but either rock gas will be turned off (minor yuck), or ... Right now, testing/dev is proceeding with HarderUnderground turned off. That can't ship.
4. HarderWildlife is finally "probably bug free". The last known tree data loss has been fixed. So natural trees will properly die. Of course, trees that you plant with care will grow properly.
5. If I had a way, I'd remove that dirt from the tops, but then you might never actually get the saplings because they would despawn.

----

Things to ponder:
1. Should the landscape be a mix of netherrack and sandstone, or pure netherrack?
2. Diamonds are going to be on the bottom of the nether, at the lava lake. Should I put diamonds in those "nether zones" in the plateaus? There's still almost no iron in the overworld, and a lot in the nether.
Pros: Consistency. Diamonds in the nether, and these are "nether-like" environments in the overworld.
Cons: Effectively eliminates the difficulty of getting iron from the nether. The three iron that would have gone to a bucket now goes to a pick, and you get a twilight forest portal without ever going to the nether first.

That's a pretty good con. So what can I put at the bottom of those overworld nether-like zones?

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Surface has changed from sandstone/netherrack to just netherrack.
Twilight Forest is no longer crashing at all.
Harder Underground gave a nasty rock gas problem (too large of a collapse, it seems). Rock gas will probably be turned off.
Realistic Fluids ... is ... A timer. And, right now, it is far too short. I have to plug up one leak completely, and a second leak needs to be "smaller", and/or diverted into a cave before it floods the stronghold you are trying to raid. Side note: Draining the ocean is slower to lower the ocean than I thought, and faster to flood the caves. It barely drains the rivers.
The bottom of the nether-like zones have one valuable item: Easy to access lava. Lava that can be turned into portals. And the nether is the alternative to the stronghold.

Tuning items at the moment:
1. Length of the timer known as ocean flood
2. Seed that generates some volatile gas in the way of the stronghold. Without totally flooding it (that one seed would have been painful just from the gas, without the ocean flooding down from explosions opening the roof).

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
So I cannot find any way to replace the deep ocean bottoms with water that is reliable. COG will, if it places water, tell the water to update itself -- and it will find lava nearby. And a two-pass replacement will sometimes leave the marker block from the intermediate pass.

Solid lava oceans. Which is causing me that issue with the timer. Still, it's manageable.

Draco has fixed the Rock Gas problem ... we hope.

... and, I can't find a good seed that gives you some gas, without the stronghold blowing itself apart (and lava flooding into the gas doesn't help, really). I'll probably use worldedit and place some manually ... or ... <very evil smile> ... Draco, if you are reading this, remember how you first showed me the behavior of gas?

Nether-like pockets have coal. Lots of it. Exposed, easy to get coal. Kinda an accident (ores get placed, stone gets turned to netherrack, holes are placed in the netherrack), but I think I'll keep it.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Ahh ...

Got biome tops working.
Got lava ocean working.
Got protected plataeu M's unchanged working.

Got at least "almost every tree" killing.
Got two strongholds for you to go to (one easy to reach, but flooding with lava; one harder to reach, but not flooding).
Got the option of going to the nether and twilight forest instead of the strongholds (either path will work).

Getting close. Finish tuning gas veins now (can't have the strongholds as easy as they currently are, now can I? :). ... Maybe give you more iron to harvest initially? ... Right now you can make one bucket, that's all you need, no?

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
** Important note to judges / people who want to play **

The submitted pack has seriously broken configs.

1. Vanilla cake is disabled. I do not know which mod did this. Gany's chocolate cake does exist; this makes jungles an unexpected requirement. You can find jungles by making a nether portal OUT from the nether; spare obsidian can be found in at least some stronghold chests, and nether fortress chests.
2. ... Actually, I'm not even sure if Gany's cake counts for "The Lie". Consider it to be a successful completion if you can craft it.
3. The config file to place iron and diamonds in the nether did NOT ship. This effectively prevents you from getting to the twilight forest. The only "world hopping" option available to you is the strongholds.
4. There is a "Readme.txt" file in the pack. Please read it -- it explains things that I did not have time/space to put on signs (or deal with Mojang's horrible book editor).

If you are not a judge: please do NOT waste your time on this version. An improved version will be provided in about 2-3 months (after I've played/judged at least the one map I'm currently doing). In particular, I have since discovered the "No Derp Strongholds" mod, that probably would have prevented all of the flooding issues I ran into on this world's stronghold.