Please help me, I am trying to figure out how much RAM I need...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Techattack123

Jul 29, 2019
I am trying to start a ftb monster server that will have 2 or 3 people playing on it. I would like to know how much RAM I should have for this server and would like to know how much other people have on their own Monster servers.

thanks,
-Techattack123

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
Mate, don't bother running it yourself 24/7 just for 2/3 people.
Ask a company to host it cheap and enjoy the moments more! :)

Techattack123

Jul 29, 2019
Ya, I know I'm trying to figure out how much ram to select for it when a company is hosting. I don't know which size plan is good enough for monster.

Reactions: RealSketch

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
So helpful...
I would suggest at least 8 gigs, from what I have read. Not sure if it is for SSP or SMP, but from my knowledge 8 gigs seems to be a sweetspot, although you also need to make sure it is good CPU as servers can use multicore whereas single player has a bit more trouble

Morberis

Jul 29, 2019
So helpful...
I would suggest at least 8 gigs, from what I have read. Not sure if it is for SSP or SMP, but from my knowledge 8 gigs seems to be a sweetspot, although you also need to make sure it is good CPU as servers can use multicore whereas single player has a bit more trouble

Whaaaat? I have a $40 plan that does 3gb but the cpu's are blazingly fast. With 4-5 people playing with probably 6 spot loaders and 2-3 chunk loaders each I have no problems. I only ever once maxed out the cpu speed or the ram and that was when I was getting a bugged block.

Start low and upgrade until you get decent performance that way you can save your money.

Reactions: Padfoote

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Whaaaat? I have a $40 plan that does 3gb but the cpu's are blazingly fast. With 4-5 people playing with probably 6 spot loaders and 2-3 chunk loaders each I have no problems. I only ever once maxed out the cpu speed or the ram and that was when I was getting a bugged block.

Start low and upgrade until you get decent performance that way you can save your money.
Ah. Im not usually hosting, my RAM was based off of SSP requirements.

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
So helpful...
Always have to critisize me don't you.
At least I bothered to help...and made a guide for other such things.
All you seem to have done is go round annoying me, criticizing me etc.
My helpful guide below that I took the time to make:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/reals-ftb-guide.40043/

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Always have to critisize me don't you.
At least I bothered to help...and made a guide for other such things.
All you seem to have done is go round annoying me, criticizing me etc.
My helpful guide below that I took the time to make:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/reals-ftb-guide.40043/
The guide is relevant how?
He asked for RAM. saying get a host was irrelevant as you need to determine how much RAM to pay for
Now stop acting like we are attacking you.
(Wow, my post sounded more rude than I intended...)
Anyways I reccomend 4+ gigs. I have no server hosting experience whatsoever, but jist start low and upgrade like morberis said. How intensive do you expect you and your friends to be(e.g. Chunkloading a small base, or having 5 chunkloaders in every mystcraft world?)

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
The guide is relevant how?
He asked for RAM. saying get a host was irrelevant as you need to determine how much RAM to pay for
Now stop acting like we are attacking you.
(Wow, my post sounded more rude than I intended...)
Anyways I reccomend 4+ gigs. I have no server hosting experience whatsoever, but jist start low and upgrade like morberis said. How intensive do you expect you and your friends to be(e.g. Chunkloading a small base, or having 5 chunkloaders in every mystcraft world?)
Is it an act, or is it a fact.
(See what I did there^)

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
It's an act because you didn't even answer the original question with any relevant info.

Q: How much RAM should I get?
A: Get a host!

Hmmm doesn't help one damn bit.

A: Get a host with around 4 Gig of RAM and go from there.

Hmmmm Helpful

See what I did there?
It was a historical question, why even bother replying.
Besides you haven't helped one bit Mr Oh-I-Like-Replying-To-Historical-Questions.
Youtubers should really have the intelligence to be kind to everybody otherwise their channel gets unlucky.

Last edited:

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
I feel the troll is strong in this one. Not going to continue a discussion with someone who just wants to argue a simple fact about something <shrugs> Have a nice time on the boards.
Good! And tell slowking to do the same.
We don't like critics around here!
Don't forget to read my helpful signature!
V

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Good! And tell slowking to do the same.
We don't like critics around here!
Don't forget to read my helpful signature!
V
-_-
Please get out. This is a nice place for new server hosts. I dont mean to attack, but you are being rather agressive. Also that sognature wasnt really helpful xD

<pushes ignore link>

Now can a mod please lock this thread due to how volatile it has become?

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
-_-
Please get out. This is a nice place for new server hosts. I dont mean to attack, but you are being rather agressive. Also that sognature wasnt really helpful xD

<pushes ignore link>

Now can a mod please lock this thread due to how volatile it has become?
I'm very sorry If I seem arogant or annoying, but will you guys take a break.
For the past two days It's been all you trying to attack me whenever you can, if you stop, I will, also, can we delete ALL of our previous posts that are related to attacking one another.
BTW, my *signature* is helpful in my opinion lol. :)