Petitioning mod authors?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

StarLiner

Jul 29, 2019
There are quite a few mods out there that the community adores, but for whatever reason, aren't included in the modpack. Maybe they aren't up to date, or they don't have permissions. I was wondering, how acceptable would it be for the community to work at showing the authors how much we love their work, and would love for their projects to be included or updated in a polite, productive way?

For instance starting a petition, and getting it out there (here?) for those interested to sign. The petition and those who sign it could express their love for the mod, and interest in seeing it included. Maybe the devs typically don't allow it, maybe the project is abandoned. Lets use, for example, Mo's creatures, a mod that currently lacks permissions. Optifine is also an option, or Balkon's weapons, or... pick any mod. The idea for the main body would be to be:

-Express the communities love of the mod
-Inform that, unlike other packs, FTB donates to the modders
-Point out that inclusion in the mod pack would get it out to a wider audience than it might otherwise
-Ease of installation and compatibility provided by the launcher would make life easier for it's players
- If you've never heard of a mod, or only heard of it in passing, your far more likely to try it out if it's already an option in the pack, and you only have to press one button to add it, as opposed to hunting down the appropriate version
-The openness and generosity of the author(s) by allowing it in the pack would not go unnoticed by the Minecraft community

I wanted to try this, or anybody could try it for mods they hold near and dear. I was hoping the community/administration here might find it appropriate to start and post a petition(s) for various popular mods that are currently not included because of lack of permissions. There is nothing to lose, and I'm confident that putting together a petition composed in the spirit of the above would, at the very least, be worth allowing and trying.

Morvelaira

Jul 29, 2019
I am going to come out and say that I do not view the organization of petitons as polite in this situation, however orderly and organized they may be. This comes down to the implied context that organizations in a general contect are expected to listen and give heed to petitions, regardless of the wills of the organization or any individuals therein. That may not be your intention, but what it comes down to is this is our hobby. Not just yours that plays the game, but ours that puts together this entertainment venue for you. What right does anyone have to tell us how to persue our hobby?

This is not to say we don't want to hear what mods you'd like to see included in the packs. Most of our ideas for what to include beyond the "big names" has come from the suggestion thread in this forum. We check out each mod that is suggested rather thoroughly, make a decision on if we think it would be a fit, and then go about seeking permissions and sorting out the technicalities of adding it to a pack. That's a time consuming process, and is part of the reason why that suggestion thread isn't updated frequently by the moderators. But, I still think it is a polite and adequate system of accomplishing your goals without the subtext of control that I find distasteful.

StarLiner

Jul 29, 2019
I am going to come out and say that I do not view the organization of petitons as polite in this situation, however orderly and organized they may be. This comes down to the implied context that organizations in a general contect are expected to listen and give heed to petitions, regardless of the wills of the organization or any individuals therein. That may not be your intention, but what it comes down to is this is our hobby. Not just yours that plays the game, but ours that puts together this entertainment venue for you. What right does anyone have to tell us how to persue our hobby?

This is not to say we don't want to hear what mods you'd like to see included in the packs. Most of our ideas for what to include beyond the "big names" has come from the suggestion thread in this forum. We check out each mod that is suggested rather thoroughly, make a decision on if we think it would be a fit, and then go about seeking permissions and sorting out the technicalities of adding it to a pack. That's a time consuming process, and is part of the reason why that suggestion thread isn't updated frequently by the moderators. But, I still think it is a polite and adequate system of accomplishing your goals without the subtext of control that I find distasteful.

I understand your concern that many people view petitions as 'all these people signed it, why aren't they listening to us?' And I completely agree that it is totally and without question in the hands of the authors, and their wishes should be respected regardless of the outcome. I also am in no way trying to down play the effort of the FTB team, it's absolutely incredible what you have done, and the fact that you go above and beyond the call of duty to make sure each and every mod fits, is compatible without major issue, get permissions from every mod... It sets the foundation of a community that won't topple or get caught up in drama. And I'd never say that we have the right to tell you guys how to do your job.

The main focus of the petition idea is to try and set out an organized effort to show other mod developers, such as the creator(s) of optifine//pick an updated mod of your choice, that the mod pack is worth giving permission to for consideration. I'm referring to all those mods in the stickied suggestions thread that don't even have permissions, so are off the table to even to discuss. Even if one of the authors did change their mind and give permission, it would still be up to the FTB team to decide if it fits the bill for entry.

FTB as a whole is much more organized than other mods, because this site is pretty much it. Want to discuss FTB? This is your one stop shop. That means, if you want to discuss adding something in, look at the top of the forum and there's your method of providing constructive input. Other mods don't have that. They might have a large thread on the Minecraft forums, but if you want to seriously demonstrate that a good portion of the mod's fandom would love this or that and would be thrilled if the developer considered it, it's a tad tricky.

This doesn't mean the petition would be trying to force the mod developers to do something. Not in the slightest. And it's certainly not trying to tell you guys how to do your job! Think of it as a more organized suggestion thread, aimed at the developers of other mods, showing how much the community loves their work and would greatly appreciate it if they allowed FTB to include it, should you guys decide to in the end. And if they choose not to, well.. that's their call. I certainly wouldn't begrudge them for it.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I'm with morv, petitions are basically strong-arming mod makers into something they might not want to do for their own reasons. I'd rather not see that happened as people don't react well to that at all. You might think that showing appreciation in numbers is sweet, but really, if you don't want to do it because... I don't know, tech support hassle for example... then you'll just feel forced to do something that you don't want to do.

It's not a good feeling.

StarLiner

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I'm with morv, petitions are basically strong-arming mod makers into something they might not want to do for their own reasons. I'd rather not see that happened as people don't react well to that at all. You might think that showing appreciation in numbers is sweet, but really, if you don't want to do it because... I don't know, tech support hassle for example... then you'll just feel forced to do something that you don't want to do.

It's not a good feeling.

That I can totally understand. Oh well, FTB is going to rock regardless. :cool:

Reactions: Confidential1207