Over the top!... For real

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
Efficiency is one of those words that always makes me cringe slightly when applied to gaming. I game to have fun, not be efficient. I am efficient at work. I drive in an efficient manner. I mow in a certain pattern because it's the most efficient way to cut the grass.

I game to get away from all that. I play to be stupidly unrealistic and over the top. It's most efficient to play D&D with a sword and board fighter. I'm busy dual wielding candlesticks.

Too many LPer's say: We're going totally over the top with this project that needs huge amounts of power/items/fluids. Yet instead of doing something cool with it, they just thump down a Tesseract and move on. Efficiency lacks style and flair. I do understand that in some cases, such as on a server, you don't want to be running immense trains around. But Direwolf for example, has no excuse, since he's running on a dedicated server. He even said he was going to use Railcraft more this season, and then how does he harvest an oil well? Ender Tank.

I am often saddened at the creativity lost by the drive for 'efficiency'. Oh well, at least Etho is blowing himself up with HS Rail.

@KingTriaxx gave me a great idea. What ideas do you have for over the top builds? What's the most ridiculous build you've done?

How would you move things around if you couldn't teleport things instantly with ender anything or tesseracts? If you had to have sugarcane grow only in a tropical type biome? if you could only grow wheat in a planes biome? If you had to have so much space per animal to avoid complaints from MACM (Minecrafters against credulity to mobs)?

How over the top can you go? hmmmm

Reactions: pizzawolf14

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I dont know. But Ive always thought tesseracts and ender chests are the most OP things in modded. Because they almost completely negate the use of pipes, cables and carts. On the other hand, things can get pretty tedious without them.

Plasmasnake

Jul 29, 2019
I've done quite a few terribly-efficient builds just for the fun of it. There are two big ones that stick out in my mind:

I built a huge monorail using predominately H.S Tracks from RC that connects key points in my world. To me, nothing matches the feel of taking in the scenery and maybe googling something while my cart takes me where I need to go. I do have a teleportation system, but it is simply much cooler to roll my way there instead of zipping of there through scientific technology. The track in its entirety is well over 2,000 blocks long and I have no idea how much iron/gold/redstone/stone I used on the tracks.

The other is the wall I built that goes around the entirety of my base complex. The wall is 7 blocks high and made of obsidian. Maybe I should also mention that it took over 3,000 blocks of obsidian to build. The kicker... well I made magnum torches and have a RoC force field protecting my base so having a wall is incredibly pointless, but I am not about to tear it down.

Master_Builder_800

Jul 29, 2019
The other is the wall I built that goes around the entirety of my base complex. The wall is 7 blocks high and made of obsidian. Maybe I should also mention that it took over 3,000 blocks of obsidian to build. The kicker... well I made magnum torches and have a RoC force field protecting my base so having a wall is incredibly pointless, but I am not about to tear it down.
Why not? frankly a huge black monstrosity would drive me crazy, but it'll only take a few minutes with the help of the exchanger of the wand of equal trade which is almost in every mod pack, you can even replace it with torches so you don't have to take anything down

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Stairs... No-one uses stairs anymore. Its all about fancy jetpacks, super jumpboots, magic teleporting elevators and all that jazz.
X090z70.png

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Not entirely true. I've actually largely abandoned jetpacks, except as jump packs for long distance travel. Hold the button for a couple seconds then let momentum carry me, or go straight up and use a hang glider.

Me, I've been using Trains for long distance transportation. It's far more expensive than Tesseracts, but easier to make. (Which seems absurdly backwards.) I mean using a train to run four hundred blocks dragging 12 carts? Why not. Chunk load it, and it'll run as long as it has charcoal and water, which are both infinite.

Reactions: Psychicash

Plasmasnake

Jul 29, 2019
Why not? frankly a huge black monstrosity would drive me crazy, but it'll only take a few minutes with the help of the exchanger of the wand of equal trade which is almost in every mod pack, you can even replace it with torches so you don't have to take anything down

I would take it down ordinarily, but it looks pretty cool --- especially with the design I put on it.

6fqx38.png

Reactions: Mindfeak926