Other uses for Creosote Oil

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Tesmetron

Jul 29, 2019
What do you guys generally do with your creosote oil? I like to push a coke oven early on for coal coke, but I always fill it up with creosote and I don't really seem to make a lot of rails. I know it no longer burns in forestry engines, but have heard it will work with the railcraft steam boiler. How much creosote does it take to keep a boiler running indefinitely? Is there anything I can do with it besides making rails and putting it into a liquid fueled firebox? The iron tank is an option but I tend to be chronically short of iron, especially in the early game.

Narcisism

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to use creosote for rails, but if I can't, I'll just set up a few regular BuildCraft tanks. Another thing you can do is send it to a TE liquid transposer and dump it into bottles or cans or something and stick it all in a chest. Your cheapest bet would be BuildCraft tanks, though. It's just glass after all :p

winthrowe

Jul 29, 2019
The only useful thing I know of is rails. If you want to dispose of creosote oil without using a void pipe, use a liquid firebox steam boiler; you'll be out of creosote in no time. Look at the burn values on the railcraft wiki; 10 times worse than forestry biofuel, 25 times worse than buildcraft fuel.

http://railcraft.wikispaces.com/Steam+Boiler+(Device)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
One bucket of creosote oil equals one unit of charcoal in terms of fuel value. If you know how long a boiler lasts with that kind of fuel, you can calculate how much you need to produce to keep it running.

Example: a 8 LP boiler will run 55.555... seconds with one bucket of creosote oil. One coke oven takes 180 seconds to process something. If you're making charcoal it neess four cycles to make a bucket, or just two if you're making coke. So let's say you're making charcoal. Twelve coke oven will produce one bucket every 60 seconds, which is just shy of being enough. So with 13 ovens you can fuel an 8 LP boiler indefinitely.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to use creosote for rails, but if I can't, I'll just set up a few regular BuildCraft tanks. Another thing you can do is send it to a TE liquid transposer and dump it into bottles or cans or something and stick it all in a chest. Your cheapest bet would be BuildCraft tanks, though. It's just glass after all :p
I just use bottles, they are just glass as well and they can be filled directly in the Coke oven, I just store it all because sooner or later I will make a load of rails and being short on creosote blows much donkey nuts. (all the other resources for rails can be gathered fairly easily when you decided to make a few hundred, the only sources of creosote are the coke oven and finding it in chests)

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Well I started to power a high pressure boiler with it but since a hole 5x5x5 tank full of it couldn't even start the boiler I kept a small tank of it for making railbeds and void piped the rest.

C

clarence112

It can be burned in a Reactant Dynamo to make 200000 RF per bucket.

C

clarence112

Reactant Dynamos didn't exist when this thread was started back in 2012
I know, but this was the fist thing that came up in a google search about creosote, so I thought I would add that to the discussion.