Ore Generation

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Sertas

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using the DW20 pack with several mods added (last count is 94 mods). Two of the mods I add are Metallurgy and Custom Ore Gen. I've gone through the setting for all the common world gen mods and disabled, as best I could, the multiple ore generation. Metallurgy changes the vanilla ore gen by putting all ores at any level (which I don't like, too random). Custom ore gen can change from the vanilla distributions to more something more desirable like veins (more rare but more ore). Now, I'm concerned that I may not have enough of the common ore generating in my world (copper, tin, silver, gold and iron are my main concern). Luckily, the DW20 seed I'm using, spawns me in an excellent location, with the exception of the nearest cactus being too far away, like 2K away. (that last sentence was horrible I know...lol)

Anywho, I'm sure I'm not the only person using this mod pack with these particular added mods. If you have/are using these mods I'd sure love some help with setting up the ore gen. I've changed the metallurgy config to spawn all ores at different values.

Steps I've taken to fix this potential issue:

1. Changed all Metallurgy configs to a) remove the dup ores, b) reset all ores to spawn at a particular level.
2. Changed/checked all other common ore world gen configs to match a and b above.
3. I've read the wiki for custom ore gen but I'm still scratching my head with its wealth of config options.

Basically, I'm trying to get all ores to spawn in veins at different levels so that I can avoid the whole dig-to-level-12-and-branch-mine-the-crap-out-of-the-world way of mining.

Thanks for any help.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
I think it would help others help you if you were more specific about what you've been unable to figure out so far.

If you're still deciding about ore distribution, try looking at the Mindcrack pack's ore distribution settings from Thermal Expansion and try to base it around those. It might be a game of telephone (that is, the result could be garbled misinformation), but rumors have made it sound like the Direwolf Pack might have less tweaked and adjusted ore generation and be closer to vanilla, or something.

BlueandOrange

Jul 29, 2019
I used Metallurgy + IC2 + BC + Forestry

and it made vanilla ores so scarce i found loads of metallurgy ores but i was gasping for iron

ditch metallurgy

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think that is very helpful to Sertas in this context. As he pointed out, he's actually changing configs and adjusting the generation to be appropriate, including the vanilla ores.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
If you're using the DW20 pack, how is it you're getting duplicate ores?

The pack out of the box does not have any duplicate ore generation active. There's only one copper, one silver etc.

Sertas

Jul 29, 2019
I have added more mods some have ore gen. I've only mentioned the two in the this post as they are the only relevant mods to my issue. My first statement mentions that I have 94 mods installed total .

Sertas

Jul 29, 2019
I think it would help others help you if you were more specific about what you've been unable to figure out so far.

If you're still deciding about ore distribution, try looking at the Mindcrack pack's ore distribution settings from Thermal Expansion and try to base it around those. It might be a game of telephone (that is, the result could be garbled misinformation), but rumors have made it sound like the Direwolf Pack might have less tweaked and adjusted ore generation and be closer to vanilla, or something.

Ok, I think I can do that Silva.

Essentially, I want to change the ore distribution from the cloud like vanilla distro to something where ores are more vein like. It could be more difficult to find ore but, when found, I'd potentially get more. This can be accomplished with the customoregen mod. Unfortunately, I'm having some difficulty creating the xml file for metallurgy all non vanilla ores. I had not thought to look at mindcrack TE ore distro and I'll do so.

I only care about the distro in the overworld. Metallurgy puts ores in the nether at any height which is fine.

Does this clarify my desire?

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Yep. I would recommend basing your settings around Thermal Expansion in the Mindcrack pack, as I said earlier, as it's designed to put the ores at certain levels rather than all close to bedrock, and is balanced with the goal of making players have to make choices on which tech trees or individual machines they want to go with. The numbers in that config are guidelines, though, and small amounts of the ores can generate outside of their assigned layers, and the vanilla ore generation tweaks appear to be in addition to vanilla generation, not instead of. Keep that in mind when trying to figure up how much of each ore should be the average per chunk. You'll definitely want your averages a little bit higher to compensate for that and the veins being harder to find... though not too much higher as Quarries, Miners, and similar machines can trivialize having to hunt those veins down.

Sertas

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I am trying to avoid using Quarries and miners to that effect. I see their use and potential but it can be abused. Plus I can create a mining age and quarry it to death...lol.

Thanks for the awesome replies. I have some more tinkering to do.