Optimal computer specs for the FTB packs

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

RandomMoped

Popular Member
Nov 17, 2012
Somewhere on the internet
Hey all, after not playing FTB for about half a year I'm thinking of getting back into it. However, my computer is fairly suboptimal for FTB, seeing as my computer tends to lag out when I go exploring or build a bunch of complex machinery. Thankfully, I've got nearly 2000 dollars and am probably gonna build myself a new computer, and was wondering what specs I should be looking at in order to be running FTB optimally. I'm looking to be playing the monster pack.

Reactions: Jess887cp

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
Reactions: Tornado3019

Wagon154

Jul 29, 2019
First thing is get a cpu clocked at a high speed like i7 4790k 4.0 ghz with a 10 precent clock and get a decent videocard. AND NO APPLE COMPUTER!!! They cause problems

Sent from my flux armor using the tappatalk app from the flux store
I was not suggesting an apple computer. I was suggesting a computer that had the same specs(Xeon, Dual GPUs).

Inngrimsch

Jul 29, 2019
if you dont want to spend to much money get something like an i7 2600k 8gb ram 1333hz and a gtx 660 fairly cheap build and can play the direwolf20 pack at 120fps even with texture package 64x64

Wagon154

Jul 29, 2019
if you dont want to spend to much money get something like an i7 2600k 8gb ram 1333hz and a gtx 660 fairly cheap build and can play the direwolf20 pack at 120fps even with texture package 64x64
I can't say I'd recommend the i7. The Xeon I suggested is cheaper, benchmarks higher, and still has 4 cores.

Inngrimsch

Jul 29, 2019
ah yeah my bad i forgot that the price for the 2600k has risen so much since i bought it... but it shouldnt be to hard to find a cpu that runs at 4ghz and has 4 physical cores (4ghz while overcloked, shouldnt be a problem for most CPU's)

Wagon154

Jul 29, 2019
I did a little bit of research. The AMD FX-8350 blows away the i7 2600k as well, has 8 cores, clocked at 4 gigahertz(overclockable too!), and cheaper. :p
Note: Clock speed does not decide how fast a processor is. That's judged by architecture.

Inngrimsch

Jul 29, 2019
Not that the architecture matters for minecraft ( I doubt that Mc can use more then 1 pipeline so any normal i7/amd quivalent should be ok as long as he is fast enough)
As long as the CPU writes and reads fast enough with your ram it should be ok ^^ (and i doubt the cache would bottleneck anything^^)

Wagon154

Jul 29, 2019
Not that the architecture matters for minecraft ( I doubt that Mc can use more then 1 pipeline so any normal i7/amd quivalent should be ok as long as he is fast enough)
As long as the CPU writes and reads fast enough with your ram it should be ok ^^ (and i doubt the cache would bottleneck anything^^)
Minecraft is mostly single threaded yes, but not single pipelined(is that even a word?) Especially in modded MC. And Java itself is certainly not limited to a single pipeline. Garbage collection and all that. Minecraft is able to make full use of a processor core, which 9 times out of ten, have multiple pipelines.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I can't say I'd recommend the i7. The Xeon I suggested is cheaper, benchmarks higher, and still has 4 cores.
The v3 xeons (Haswell) are basically a less expensive i7 with a locked multi and no iGPU. I've been recommend them to people who do not want to overclock, or will not be overclocking heavily, and have a dedicated GPU. The v2's are on socket 2011 and are aging fast...actually, they all are. 4-6 more months and intel's tick-tock cycle is about to tock again with Skylake.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Moped! Hey! Long time no see.

As for your computer, I'd check out one of those pricey razer rigs, and then try and one-up all of the hardware for less. Not only will you have a baseline to work off of, you'll have the satisfaction of getting good bang for your buck.

Reactions: RandomMoped