Opinions on FTB 1.6?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
While it's not released yet, Forgecraft 2 has started, Greg is now an IC2 dev (and it seems Thunderdark has ideas similar to Greg's), TE has moved to its 3.0 version - and possibly it will skip a generation, MFR hasn't been updated yet, and the bee nerf is scary.
What is your opinion on the modded scene currently?

Mashy14

Jul 29, 2019
Personally im really excited for IC2. It has been slowly been dying/features being absorbed by other mods. I think Greg will do a great job :)
As for TE 3.0 im excited for it but sad that King Lemming will be stepping down as dev
I couldn't really care about MFR (although that is because i never really got into it)
Bee nerf?

Edit: holy crap the FTB website has changes alot

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
I miss Xycraft. I'd love to see mDiyo and Greg consent to be in mod packs together again, as interesting as IC2 is getting (seemingly combining some great ideas in factorization and TE) GT is naturally taking it several steps further. Openblocks looks pretty awesome and I hope it makes it into a pack.

SaintLucifer

Jul 29, 2019
Bee nerf, you mean the nerf to how many frames you can have and how much you can raise the mutation multiplier on a Mutator, before turning the bee on a swarm one? If so that is already implemented.

Reactions: Mashy14

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Bee nerf, you mean the nerf to how many frames you can have and how much you can raise the mutation multiplier on a Mutator, before turning the bee on a swarm one? If so that is already implemented.

No, as far as I can tell (from limited forum looks) "pure" queens will make up a percentage (10%?) of hives in the world. The rest will basically be the equivalent of swarmers.

From what I've heard, this isn't really a major issue, unless you are running your bees into the ground early. The bees will last a while, and, by the time they die, you should have enough drones to imprint a "pure" line.

The IC2 stuff I'm a little torn about. It looks like it's becoming a later-game mod (requiring a fairly hefty infrastructure investment to see much in the ways of content), which means that I'll likely see less of it. If TE isn't in this version, it could make like interesting, likely resulting in the smeltery being the go-to first machine, which I'm actually OK with.

Overall, it seems like a reasonable update. Might be pushing the starting requirements back a bit, but there are enough mods that add "early" content that were getting skipped over by rushing to the later stuff. Overall, intrigued and optimistic.

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
It will be nice to see xycraft again, hoping for some more steed interaction and possibly more ride-able animals coming in the future.

Excited for the changes coming to Thaumcraft and the new Ars Magica 2

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I'm disappointed with what's going on. IC2 was already on the outs with me. It definitely is now. I never really used forestry in 1.5 and I'm reluctant to do so now even with no word on MFR. TE is indefinite, Buildcraft.... Outside of Calclavia's mods, AE, Tinker's Construct, & a few others there isn't much I'm looking forward to. I'm open to being persuaded otherwise but to me 1.6 is proving, so far, to be disappointing.

Reactions: TheLoneWolfling

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
Mmmh, 1.6.2 seems interesting, ive played basics of it, primarily just to test things for WayOfTime and blood magic.
Apart from that I'm waiting for myself to release vineacraft xD then i'll start playing 1.6.2 and minecraft in general :3

There is lots of cool stuff, new mods and new stuff in updates :3 excited to play it!
Also, i dont like horses.

Necr0maNceR

Jul 29, 2019
So, I keep hearing that there have been recent changes to IC2. What are they? Where can I go to find out more about them?

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
So, I keep hearing that there have been recent changes to IC2. What are they? Where can I go to find out more about them?

Depends can you read code fairly well? If not you will probably need to wait for an official release.
If you think you can here, because others seemed to have been able to not read it >.>

http://ic2api.player.to:8080/job/IC2_lf/changes

Dev changes courtesy of Vauthil
http://ic2api.player.to:8080/job/IC2_experimental/changes

Reading the experimental comments are entertaining.

From the looks of it they are phasing out refined iron.

Reactions: Necr0maNceR

Necr0maNceR

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks! From what I was able to understand, ore processing is going to be harder, the mass fabricator has been nerfed, and many things are going to be more difficult to craft and require things like the metal former. It looks like there are plenty of other changes, but those were the main things I was able to glean.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Mentlegen, the situation is bad.

The old big ticket mods are running themselves into the ground, the new big tickets mods try hard but it's hard to step out of someones shadow if you don't wanna be called a copycat and discredited by the ones currently holding the most power in the scene.

Mentlegen, THAT... was an underestimation- the situation is critical, what's worse, there will be horses.

It would appear that there are only three options left.

We either stay strong and persevere in the current state, which was supposed to be transitional, temporary, worth it thanks to the promises of future greatness which never came.

We can also turn tail and run, run back to when everything was almost perfect, the imperfections of which age led to the current sad state.

Or

We make our own.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I second that
Mojangs 'design' has been slowly going down the pan since late beta (1.8+), yeah some things have been very awesome- but lately its past the tipping point; when not updating has more merits than following through.​
Horses and redstone were a massive letdown for what they were, a lot of the new content is underdeveloped and/or left in for its exploits (beacons, villagers, tripwire, debug screen) and lately the official devs have basically said 'yeah- we're about to wreak all your old worlds' with the new biomes.​
All the while that lighting bug isn't fixed and the mod API is nothing more than a boogeyman to scare young children around the campfire.​
With modded MC; one issue is modders tiptoeing around the vanilla features, scared of touching anything for the sake of x-mod "compatibility/balance". The whole point of going modded is to have something different; if its in the way- it can go. Your mod will feel more immerse as a result.​
I'll probably stick with 1.5/1.6 tops, luckily the new launcher has a backdating option- so for the first time everyone isn't forced to port forward. Its nice knowing there's a stable platform to work with.

(sorry-late reply, internet died last night)

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I'm angry at the bee nerf. It means that no matter how hard you try, you will loose what you worked so hard for. I'm also scared of what greg will bring to IC2. Sure it's a dying mod, but once the mod API comes out and IC3 comes into development(as has been stated before) I really don't want him to be an influential part of the team.

Reactions: TheLoneWolfling

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Personally, I'm angry at the bee nerf. It means that no matter how hard you try, you will loose what you worked so hard for. I'm also scared of what greg will bring to IC2. Sure it's a dying mod, but once the mod API comes out and IC3 comes into development(as has been stated before) I really don't want him to be an influential part of the team.

Read the previous post relating to bee nerf, it should only effect 90% of hives- so as long as you're not stupid you'll never loose 'em. Sengir is also fairly neat with the configs- they'll be an easy mode somewere.

Greg knows his stuff, the tech side of GT played rather well (nerfs aside)- as he's part of a team the others would stop him from going too crazy. Most likely he'll only add the best bits of GT.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
In between all these nerfs going around the mods I consider "Classics" and Mojang's constant sabotage of the modding community with their updates, I'm not feeling very optimistic about 1.6 :/

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
Read the previous post relating to bee nerf, it should only effect 90% of hives- so as long as you're not stupid you'll never loose 'em. Sengir is also fairly neat with the configs- they'll be an easy mode somewere.

Greg knows his stuff, the tech side of GT played rather well (nerfs aside)- as he's part of a team the others would stop him from going too crazy. Most likely he'll only add the best bits of GT.

That's exactly what I don't want. I don't like any part of GT, even the best parts. They're all just plain useless in my opinion. Minecraft is a game about building. The only purpose of GT is to prevent you from building pretty things for as long as possible. Most of the machines are bulky and you'll only ever use them once. Just my two cents, but I'd rather have pollution and some other community ideas added.

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
a stupid update. give me a modpack like unleashed with RP2 and xycraft and i will be happy for the most of my life. Greg's ideas completely destroyd the pack.

You know they would without hesitation if both those mods actually released.