Opinions on ComputerCraft/OpenComputers?

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
For a project of mine, which will go unnamed, because I don't know how feasible it is yet, I want to know your opinions on CC and OC, as well as any other computer mods that you might have tried. Explaining what you liked and didn't like would also be nice.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, here's my opinion.
CC is good. OC is good. I like neither of them.
CC is very unbalanced. The computers are cheap to make and have no power draw.
OC is balanced. However, it takes far too much space to make something simple. It's also a massive pain to set up.
In addition, I don't particularly like Lua in the first place, and both use Lua.

Reactions: Skyqula

Werewolf Joint GM

Jul 29, 2019
"Unbalanced" is a strange term to use for CC; The blocks that can impact the world in a major way, like turtles, actually do use fuel and are (kinda) expensive to make. The standard stationary computers can do a lot of cool stuff, don't get me wrong, but none of it's gamebreakingly OP.

Reactions: RedBoss

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
I've pretty much exclusively "used" (sat in my pack) OC since it came out. It's a nice concept, but I never get around to actually using it. I usually get the urge early on, but never have the resources. It's definitely a later game mod, but I like the look and feel of it.

Reactions: asiekierka

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
"Unbalanced" is a strange term to use for CC; The blocks that can impact the world in a major way, like turtles, actually do use fuel and are (kinda) expensive to make. The standard stationary computers can do a lot of cool stuff, don't get me wrong, but none of it's gamebreakingly OP.
The standard argument is that computers are way too cheap. I've also heard things about the lack of a power requirement, as well as the classic "magic block" criticism.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
CC is the EE kind of fun. OC is the GregTech kind of fun. (Obviously, both these statements are hyperbole.)

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I have never used oc so I can't comment on it as far CC goes however. It is as op as you want it to be.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I think OC computers have a more 'realistic' feeling. They require power and you have to assemble them as you would a real computer (cpu, memory, network card, ...) and even install a BIOS and OS on it. CC computers are more 'ready to use'.

I personally prefer OC.

Reactions: xbony2 and Skyqula

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
CC was balanced around having to actually code, back before you could import script. Now that you can any old schmuck with some redstone and iron can work miracles with a turtle.
That being said I don't find cc that op. Might give you super early quarries but that's really all it does.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: immibis

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
I'd be fine with CC if pastebin didn't exist. As it stands, make 1 super cheap block, type pastebin.get xxxx, and do.... pretty much anything. It is the most magic of magic boxes.

If pastebin did not exist, people would copy-paste. If copy-paste did not exist, people would use autotypers.

Reactions: lenscas

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I like CC. It's a single block, capable of doing a lot of things, but at the same time, I'm a bad coder. And with a couple exceptions, I habitually write all my own code. (Exception one being when I ask for assistance, and exception two being DarkBobo's turtle remote control.)

Most of what I do with CC, are things I can't do with other programs. Combining Rail schedules from various trains, to ensure I know where things are, is something CC is awesome at.

I would like them to be a little more expensive, but OC doesn't have the tablet as far as I know.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I really haven't played with OC yet. However, I can say that CC can be a little OP. But that said, I actually do use it and have written my own programs for it. However, I need pastebin to write my code. Writing code on the CC terminal screen is a torture. So for me pastebin is a requirement.

BTW: To give you an idea of the OP. My 1st three diamonds always go to making a pick for the turtle. Then insert a simple program and walla instant access to early obsidian with out waiting for it. Just move the turtle around have it instant mine the stuff with out the wait and I won't get into the early game quarries I've setup using a turtle.