Opinions on Combat

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Okay, we all know that Minecraft PvE and PvP is not at it's finest. But I'm working on... something... that is going to provide a complete focus on combat, and I need your opinions.

• What would you do to improve the combat in Minecraft, or would you prefer to keep it as is?
  • What are your opinions on Health Regeneration? Do like the current style, or did you like it more back when food healed you? Would you go UHC all up on this, or have some Absorption Hearts as a buffer?
My goal is to make combat as interesting as possible, as, I currently believe, it's not at all as interesting as it should be.

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
I am assuming this is for your little side project hmm? I like to be able to dual wield. Regeneration should be by food Like all(some) of the other pvp based games. In order to make combat more fun/exciting I would say some sort of a leveling system. Also a lot more weapons for example - guns, bows, swords, knives, shields, tanks, shoes, and possibly elephants that are able to be converted to war machines

Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, we all know that Minecraft PvE and PvP is not at it's finest. But I'm working on... something... that is going to provide a complete focus on combat, and I need your opinions.

• What would you do to improve the combat in Minecraft, or would you prefer to keep it as is?
  • What are your opinions on Health Regeneration? Do like the current style, or did you like it more back when food healed you? Would you go UHC all up on this, or have some Absorption Hearts as a buffer?
My goal is to make combat as interesting as possible, as, I currently believe, it's not at all as interesting as it should be.
I am assuming this is for your little side project hmm? I like to be able to dual wield. Regeneration should be by food Like all(some) of the other pvp based games. In order to make combat more fun/exciting I would say some sort of a leveling system. Also a lot more weapons for example - guns, bows, swords, knives, shields, tanks, shoes, and possibly elephants that are able to be converted to war machines

Let me guess...me and @Lumaceon are gonna have to implement all this :p

I think I know how I could make a leveling system *thinks*

Reactions: pc_assassin

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Or maybe an evolution type system yah know stone ages, copper ages, iron ages, crusades, guns/cannons, automatic guns/mortars, modern, future

Salamileg9

Jul 29, 2019
A method of blocking, whether it be with a sword (preferably better than the vanilla system) or a shield would be nice, or really anything that provides strategy to combat.

As for health regeneration, I'd say have very slow regeneration, while having some thing speed up the rate of regeneration (such as say, bandages).

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
I'd say blocking definitely needs to be improved - there's currently little use to it. Dual wielding is an interesting idea, but limited by the fact that there's a cap on how many hits you can take in x time (at least I think there is) so might have to be implemented some other way.

Diversity of weapon types as well - for example a mace swings more slowly than a sword (mining fatigue) but ignores some armour.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
1. ability to dodge.
2. stun instead of knockback(i hate knockback >_>)
3. different swing types for different weapons(if there are gonna be any) or/and just slower swing time in general

i'd like to add ability parry via perfectly timed blocking and counters to the list, but it's probably gonna be too much work pve-wise, because vanilla mobs(and quite a lot moded) don't have melee attack animation which is crucial for this stuff.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
There are mods that add all manner of swingable sharp things, various guns and bows, artillery and explosives.

Two things are missing from the land combat arsenal:

1 - Cavalry weapons. The ability to fire a bow from the saddle while riding or charge into battle like a lancer would be amazing.

2 - Combat vehicles. Minecraft with armoured warfare would be the ultimate thing.

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
There are mods that add all manner of swingable sharp things, various guns and bows, artillery and explosives.

Two things are missing from the land combat arsenal:

1 - Cavalry weapons. The ability to fire a bow from the saddle while riding or charge into battle like a lancer would be amazing.

2 - Combat vehicles. Minecraft with armoured warfare would be the ultimate thing.
The lancer idea would be awesome. I'm pretty sure you can already shoot on horseback though

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
That'd be hard to code in anyway due to having to find some way to keep the horse going the way it's going while your view turns in the opposite direction. I'd love for someone to prove me wrong though, because the parthian shot is the most gloriously trolly trick to pull

Reactions: malicious_bloke

Cirom

Jan 1, 2013
Depends what "style" of combat you're going for, I guess. If it's a more "vanilla" style, I would say no to any guns, tanks, war machines, etc.
So, I'll say that my opinions on combat here are purely based on a more "vanilla / medieval" style of combats, although with a little bit of Minceraft's weirdness thrown in.

Dual wielding should be a thing, allowing for sword / shield combinations and the such.
- When a player is using a shield (probably with a sword), they're able to block all damage from the direction they're facing. It seems a bit overpowered.. until you realise the other changes I'd make.
- Most weapons have an amount of "stun" which is different from their usual damage, determined by weapon type. Minor stun will not stop a player shielding, but major stun WILL - while the shield will block the attack which causes the initial major stun, this leaves the previously shielded player open for further attacks. Stunning will only last between 0.3s-0.6s, so a single player won't be able to "stun-lock" an opponent. With this new stun system, regular damage should NOT deal any form of knockback. It's annoying enough suddenly plummeting downwards when hit by poison or drowning, and it makes no sense whatsoever.
- Most weapons act differently depending on how they're "charged" - simply clicking with a sword will trigger a "jab" with low damage and minor stun, while holding down and charging a sword will trigger a "slash", with greater damage and major stun. Note that getting stunned will drop your charge, so jabbing a charging player is a good way to stop them slashing your face. Weapons should also be unable to just be "rapid-click spammed", most attacks will have a 0.2s-0.4s "pause" after the attack, as a sort of cool down. Jabs would have a shorter cooldown, while slashes would have a larger cooldown.
- Bows in vanilla are a bit TOO powerful and spammable - bows should take much longer to charge, and be unable to fire unless at at least half-charge. A fully charged arrow should deal major stun.

( Yes this may or may not be heavily based on the game King Arthur's Gold whatever )

Reactions: buggirlexpres

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
Depends what "style" of combat you're going for, I guess. If it's a more "vanilla" style, I would say no to any guns, tanks, war machines, etc.
So, I'll say that my opinions on combat here are purely based on a more "vanilla / medieval" style of combats, although with a little bit of Minceraft's weirdness thrown in.

Dual wielding should be a thing, allowing for sword / shield combinations and the such.
- When a player is using a shield (probably with a sword), they're able to block all damage from the direction they're facing. It seems a bit overpowered.. until you realise the other changes I'd make.
- Most weapons have an amount of "stun" which is different from their usual damage, determined by weapon type. Minor stun will not stop a player shielding, but major stun WILL - while the shield will block the attack which causes the initial major stun, this leaves the previously shielded player open for further attacks. Stunning will only last between 0.3s-0.6s, so a single player won't be able to "stun-lock" an opponent. With this new stun system, regular damage should NOT deal any form of knockback. It's annoying enough suddenly plummeting downwards when hit by poison or drowning, and it makes no sense whatsoever.
- Most weapons act differently depending on how they're "charged" - simply clicking with a sword will trigger a "jab" with low damage and minor stun, while holding down and charging a sword will trigger a "slash", with greater damage and major stun. Note that getting stunned will drop your charge, so jabbing a charging player is a good way to stop them slashing your face. Weapons should also be unable to just be "rapid-click spammed", most attacks will have a 0.2s-0.4s "pause" after the attack, as a sort of cool down. Jabs would have a shorter cooldown, while slashes would have a larger cooldown.
- Bows in vanilla are a bit TOO powerful and spammable - bows should take much longer to charge, and be unable to fire unless at at least half-charge. A fully charged arrow should deal major stun.

( Yes this may or may not be heavily based on the game King Arthur's Gold whatever )

An alternative way to deal with bows is to drop the damage of the regular bow and add in a crossbow that takes a long time to load, can be carried while loaded and deals standard bow damage with perhaps some armour piercing capabilities. This weapon would have to be fully loaded before it can be fired, and would take at least twice as long as the vanilla bow currently takes. I'm not sure whether an accuracy nerf on bows would be effective or whether it would make the bow worthless.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
My two cents:

Combat in Minecraft is inherently limited because the engine itself does not permit a robust combat system. To implement a truly game-changing combat system would require an entire API to be written. Mind you, I think this could be amazing if done properly, but can also fail horribly if done wrong.

Some things I think would change the dynamic of the game:

1) Weapons have to be equipped just like armor does, in its own slot. This prevents you from just being able to hotkey over to a new weapon, but also saves on hotbar space. You have two slots which can be equipped with a 'weapon-like', with an option for some two-handed weapons to eat up both slots. This will enable practically any weapon combination found IRL. For weapons with ammo, you have the weapon in one slot, and the ammo in another (for example, a bow in one hand and arrows in the other).

Use a hotkey to swap between your hotbar and your weapons. Left click activates the 'left hand', right click activates the 'right hand'. Clicking munition reloads the weapon (thus if you have a bow in your left and arrows in your right, you shoot with left click, then re-nock an arrow with a right click to be able to shoot again). There is a noticeable delay when weapons are pulled out or put away.

2) There needs to be reasonable shield mechanics. Some kind of blocking system needs to take place, and it will only protect against attacks against your upper torso. I'd look to later Zelda games for ideas on making a balanced shield system, particularly Twilight Princess where you could shield bash.

3) Special combat maneuvers consume hunger. Remember that if you pull out food to eat, it puts away your weapons, making you defenseless, and swapping back and forth takes time, making it difficult to do in combat. In an extended combat situation, you might end up in a position where starvation plays a factor in defeat. Intended to simulate how exhausting it can be to fight for extended periods of time. Wearing down your opponent can be a viable strategy. Of course, the living dead have no such problems...

MonkeyB

Jul 29, 2019
I feel like people are looking at this the wrong way.

The issue isn't in the weapons. It's in the mobs.

Mobs are inherently stupid.

They like to have it easy.

Whenever there is a zombie horde outside my base, waiting to eat me when I inevitably accidentally blow up my base, I like to fight them.

So I put a little 1x2 hole in the wall.

And they all come in.

These are polite mobs. They learned, apparently in elementary school, to wait their turn.

So they come in, one by one.

And I kill them with my cleaver. One by one.

Until eventually, I have a nice neat pile of mob drops. And no more mobs.

They need a bit better of an AI. How this can be done without making me go insane, I have no idea.

That job can be left to those much more smart then I am.

PVP is much more complex. I play scout in TF2 competitively, so my game plan is pretty much to strafe. And I do very well at that.

I don't really know how to fix PVP, to be honest.

Good day.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not big on PvP and PvE in minecraft, so here's my idea:
-Class System (I swear that I'm not doing this just to torture Striking and Luma) so that I can choose between ranged and melee, magic or traditional weapon
-Level System so you get harder mobs as the game proves you do better
-No natural regen with absorption hearts as a buffer, please. I love that.

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
I feel like people are looking at this the wrong way.

The issue isn't in the weapons. It's in the mobs.

Mobs are inherently stupid.

They like to have it easy.

Whenever there is a zombie horde outside my base, waiting to eat me when I inevitably accidentally blow up my base, I like to fight them.

So I put a little 1x2 hole in the wall.

And they all come in.

These are polite mobs. They learned, apparently in elementary school, to wait their turn.

So they come in, one by one.

And I kill them with my cleaver. One by one.

Until eventually, I have a nice neat pile of mob drops. And no more mobs.

They need a bit better of an AI. How this can be done without making me go insane, I have no idea.

That job can be left to those much more smart then I am.

PVP is much more complex. I play scout in TF2 competitively, so my game plan is pretty much to strafe. And I do very well at that.

I don't really know how to fix PVP, to be honest.

Good day.
The PvE side of things is always going to be a bit limited with Minecraft, regardless of tweaks made to combat. I'm sort of looking at this as a way to add various options for PvP, which is where most of a combat overhaul adding more sophisticated mechanics would be felt