'Old' School Obsidian Generator?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Sodisna

Jul 29, 2019
Would any perhaps have any idea on make one? One that doesn't involve the igneous extruder. I have an idea, but I need a mod (or block) that is able to dispense liquid (from a pipe feeding said block) on a redstone pulse.

Cata3rd

Jul 29, 2019
Depending on your version you could make one of the redstone obsidian generators which doesn't use any lava or you could pump lava into a buildcraft floodgate to place the lava blocks.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Would any perhaps have any idea on make one? One that doesn't involve the igneous extruder. I have an idea, but I need a mod (or block) that is able to dispense liquid (from a pipe feeding said block) on a redstone pulse.
The Buildcraft Floodgate can kind of do what you're looking for. It will place any fluids pumped into it below it, or next to it, or next to any other source blocks it placed, or wherever the fluid flows and drops down a level. However, it doesn't work with redstone pulses. The best way to do that might be to feed the floodgate with fluid (lava, I assume, if you're trying to make obsidian) from a tank via a wooden waterproof pipe with an autarchic gate set to "Redstone Signal" -> "Pulse Once". When you give the gate a redstone signal, it will produce 1 MJ (I mean, 10 RF) for free and direct it into the pipe, which will then extract precisely one bucket of lava (pretty sure that's how it works, although not tested recently) and transfer it to the floodgate.

Reactions: Cata3rd

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
The Buildcraft Floodgate can kind of do what you're looking for. It will place any fluids pumped into it below it, or next to it, or next to any other source blocks it placed, or wherever the fluid flows and drops down a level. However, it doesn't work with redstone pulses. The best way to do that might be to feed the floodgate with fluid (lava, I assume, if you're trying to make obsidian) from a tank via a wooden waterproof pipe with an autarchic gate set to "Redstone Signal" -> "Pulse Once". When you give the gate a redstone signal, it will produce 1 MJ (I mean, 10 RF) for free and direct it into the pipe, which will then extract precisely one bucket of lava (pretty sure that's how it works, although not tested recently) and transfer it to the floodgate.
Bear in mind, Autarchic is not a specific gate now, but rather a property that you apply to any other gate using an integration table.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
If you want to go old-school then lava buckets in a Dispenser. Use a Sequencer to toggle the dispenser and a block breaker in turns. Use some sort of filtered piping system to transfer empty buckets out of dispenser.

Sodisna

Jul 29, 2019
See, I was looking at the floodgate, but the lava burns right through the red alloy wire. I was thinking about sing buckets, but I'd need something that can fill buckets. The immediate thing that comes to mind is the tanks in Railcraft.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
If you only give the floodgate 1 space to fill, you shouldn't have to worry about controlling it or the water source with redstone. You'd just need a timer on the block breaker variant of choice to give it enough time for the obsidian to form.
Note I'm not using BuildCraft in 1.7.10, so I can't verify. You should also be able to fill a larger space with 1 floodgate & put the water on a timer if you want to do several at once.

Are you avoiding all TE machines? The TE fluid transposer is the easiest way I know to automate filling buckets for a dispenser set up. Can you get thaumcraft golems to fill a bucket & put the full bucket in an item inventory? Or place the fluid block in the world instead of another fluid inventory?

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Pretty much anything that can 'right click' a bucket, and anything that can smash a block.
(with the right clicking thing, it'll also allow filling from the BC tank, and I think RC tanks have an internal filling mechanism for containers)​

Extra Bees also has one that can make obsidian (shadowed bee??)

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
You can take fluid from Railcraft tank with just a right click. At least in 1.6, but I doubt it was removed in 1.7.

xTordX

Jul 29, 2019
Depending on your version you could make one of the redstone obsidian generators which doesn't use any lava or you could pump lava into a buildcraft floodgate to place the lava blocks.
How does the one without lava consumption work?

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
There was a bug in vanilla Minecraft where flowing lava landing on redstone turned into obsidian. I haven't seen it used since 1.5.2, so I don't remember exactly how to set it up or if it still works.