Official Minecraft API discussion thread.

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
So there is more and more info trickeling into the Minecraft community about the API.

Now what is the API and why is Mojang working on this.
In this thread we will try and explain all of these questions.

So lets get started will we.

Short explanation
The Minecraft/Mojang API is a Official version is short terms a Official version of forge made by the Mojang team.
They are planning to make there own variant of forge with a lot of benefits for the modding community. Or that is what they hope to achieve at least.

The suspected reasons
Like most of us know at the moment it is forge who provides most of the hookins for the current mods that are out there. Forge is basicly like "Bukkit" is a tool for plugins. Now the down side on this is.
Every time Minecraft updates there is a long hassle on updates before the mod servers actualy update.

Minecraft official update -> Forge update -> Mods Update to the new Forge -> All mods + Forge port to bucket

So there are 3 steps extra between the Minecraft update and a mod server actualy getting the update.
So what mojang is now starting is taking these extra steps down.

They already took in the builders of Bukkit to start building the official Minecraft server soon so that stap is already killed as soon as they start. Statement by Mojang

Now these guys will also be working on the implementation of the Minecraft API. So once all this is working the point is that if Minecraft updates, you dont have to wait on all those others things to do two.

Minecraft official update -> Play

How is this gone work ?
So Mojang is wanting to make a static universal API platform for mods to hook into. This means that once the API is created it will not change. This means Modders and Mojang can work towords the API with all there future updates and they dont have to wait for a API like Forge to addapt to the new Minecraft first. This will be a central point of goal if you can call it that.

This means that if you are running lets say Minecraft/Bukkit 1.7 with RedPower3.1.0, and Mojang updates to 1.8, you will be able to directly download 1.8 install it and run RedPower 3.1.0 on the new version of Minecraft. Wont that be amazing ?!

So in effect you will be able to run older Mods ( that are working for MC API) on to the newer version of Minecraft as they update and you will not have to wait ages for the modders to update the mod to the new version.

Also this will give a lot more room to the modders to work on fixing issues and making new content. Since they will only have to work on there API link once. Now they lose a lot of time every time Forge updates. The mods need to get addapted to the new Forge and so on.

What else will change with the API ?
So once the API is out the team of Mojang who now create content like the new food and such will change there ways. There is talk of Mojang stopping with adding new content for now. They are gone start working on adding more support for the game/server itself. Adding maybe multicore support for Server side and smoothing out code to make everything run better. They will be tweaking performance in overall.

So Mojang will need to get another way to get new content in and keep the players interested, That is why the API is in for as well. This will give easy acces for modders to hook into MC witch will make modding smoother. So modders will add content and Mojang can focus on the performance side on the game for now.

When will we see anything about the API
So thi smonth its gone be the 1.4 update. After that its all going to be about the API. Everyone hopes it is gone be the big point on Minecon. There is still not any release date on the API but if they are gone impress on Minecon they will show off the API. So lets hope by the end of this year or the start of the next year we will see the API rolling in.

Extra links
Mojang API Dev blog
Mojang API Proposal page

I hope this post will clear some things out and feel free to correct me where i am wrong!

Reactions: Swaffer

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
The main question being:
Will Mojang really do it for all the modders, or will it be a half assed thing like it was advertised when they first talked about it?

What I mean is, modloader is a concept that has been around for so long, and yet nothing similar was adapted directly into the official minecraft, when it could really have helped the modding community and the players.

Plus, from the informations I have, they don't plan for it to be even as complete as forge is, at least in the first releases, so one could wonder if it wouldn't be better to get in touch with Forge and adapt it if necessary, rather than starting something that will do less, and will have quite high chances to conflict?

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
Not really a fully factual post but a nice effort :)

if its up of the bukkit hired by mojang. Yes it is a fact

I am extremely pleased and proud to announce that, as of today, the Bukkit team has joined Mojang. When discussing the possibility of a modding API publicly, Mojang was concerned that they would be unable to provide the community with a suitable and powerful enough solution and we honestly feel that our experience building Bukkit will help them do so. Thanks to our work with Bukkit, we have a years worth of experience, failures and lessons to help us develop a proper modding API and intend to do whatever it takes to produce one that satisfies the needs of the community. Now that we have an opportunity to design the official Minecraft API, we intend to make it a suitable replacement for Bukkit, if not a significantly better one, while bukkit.org will remain a community for modders for the foreseeable future.

Souce

i get the point that the bukkit site wont leave us. But the bukket dev team will work and create then "next level bukkit" with mojang

also the Mojang statement

Not to be an ass or such captainnana. Just these are the facts found on the webz and stated by both party's
It has bin a while back that they announced this ( about 8 months ) and nothing has turned up YET
untill this month! the new API pages prove that Bukkit are working with Mojang as you can see on the Mojang API blog page that the devs of Bukkit are posting there

benben500

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, in my opinion the best (and easiest) thing that Mojang can start on for having good mod compatibility is not to use new block/item ids.

MrJeff

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, in my opinion the best (and easiest) thing that Mojang can start on for having good mod compatibility is not to use new block/item ids.

Well, that... or allow for more ids/pre-registration of ids/conversion to a non-numerical, extensible ID system.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
well i dont care how they do it i just hope they do it good :D :p
Yes, but "doing it good" would include a search of all already existing api that change base classes (modloader, forge and chicken bone are far from being the only ones), and ensure you don't completely destroy them without adding the same functionalities (at least).
I think that as long as the main api are not taken into account, it will be impossible to make a real modding api, because it has to be better in every ways than the existing ones, including forge.

Why do I doubt that anyone is able to make an api complete enough so that noone has to modify the JAR again?

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Not quite, that is like asking to do all the work that they already did with the various apis.
It is up to the team doing it to contact the various apis and ask for the list there.

Oh, but I guess we developers are all the same in the end, the less we need to do in paperwork, the best we code.

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
ahh we will see how they actualy handle it. Il be gooing to minecon myself and il try to report what they say about the API on stage there :p

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
well they could make a transition version. Where Item ID's still work but by loading the world they will Also get a Name ID
and in the next version on that take out the ID.

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
if its up of the bukkit hired by mojang. Yes it is a fact
Correct that is a fact however that isn't what I was referring to, Tahg, one of the FTB team was one of the people hired by mojang so I already know they hired bukkit staff, I was referring to:

This means that once the API is created it will not change.

This means that if you are running lets say Minecraft/Bukkit 1.7 with RedPower3.1.0, and Mojang updates to 1.8, you will be able to directly download 1.8 install it and run RedPower 3.1.0 on the new version of Minecraft. Wont that be amazing ?!

Whilst these are along the right line they are not totally true; for example you say that the API will not change when basically the opposite is true, the api would change with every update as new things are added/things are changed so you wouldn't be able to just use 1.7 on 1.8 its like bukkit plugins, when you update from say 1000 -> 1200 you cant just put the old plugin in it might work but its just luck on what parts of the API have changed and what has stayed the same

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
Well we can just hope it will not be like that

Remember that you had to reset your map every update ? Well if they fix that why wont they fix this with it in mind. Thats what i hope at least

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
no, it increased the Y limit, and changed how the save is actually saved.

But it is to be known that the update of existing map did make quite a lot of bugs appear, mainly lag and light bugs, but it ruined quite a few adventure maps, and the authors had to manually re-import the map to the new format (MCEdit for vanilla).

So you can understand why I am skeptical on automatic conversion in Minecraft.

Gewitters

Jul 29, 2019
Well we can all "Wish in one hand, and S**t in the other, then see what fills up faster".

It wont matter how they do it, as with most things, someone/people wont be completely happy. With this kind of a project, everyone has different ideas on the concept and how to execute the concepts. They have a great team (from what I can tell) working on it, so we just need to be ready to give as much CONSTRUCTIVE input/feedback as possible to help them help the community.