Odd Blocks That Cause Lag

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
I'm starting this thread because many people might not know what blocks cause lag in modded Minecraft. This is not an issue thread, nor do I have a problem. I just want other people to contribute what they know about lag causers in modded minecraft.
I hope this thread helps people that might have a bunch of machines around there base and are wondering why it is laggy. Some people call it common sense. Other people just don't know why the blocks cause lag. Remember, this thread doesn't just need to be about blocks that cause lag. People can reply about certain enitites, liquids, etc.

Please refrain from going off topic.

yotus

Jul 29, 2019
One issue I ran into was because of the XP shower from OpenBlocks, I left it open without me under it for too long, and had 40-ish levels worth of XP orbs in a 1-block space, causing severe lag.

Reactions: 1SDAN

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Open blocks tanks. Terrible for FPS in large numbers and bad for TPS. Carpenters blocks also seem to cause issues on some machines.

Reactions: 1SDAN and Yulife

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried the Builder? Also, the Quarry does... a sizable amount of things (it's internally a state machine!), I'm not really surprised.

Builder? Its been a long time since I last used one. And yeah of course quarries cause lag but its way worse than it used to be.

jaquadro

Jul 29, 2019
Bibliocraft potion shelves (and to a lesser extent, item shelves and tool racks). Loading up a dozen potion shelves with items will cause massive render lag and drop your FPS like a rock. Storage drawers blocks not configured to fast rendering will also cause render lag if you spam enough of them in an area. They're fine if they're empty or sparsely populated, though.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Generally any tile entity will cause lag if used in excessive numbers.
Unlike regular blocks, tile entities store extra data elsewhere- which is what causes the slowdown. Nearly everything more complex than a regular block is a tile.
(certainly anything with an internal tank/inventory/memory, or can hold multiple forms of itself)​

Carpenters blocks, and all the microblocks are tiles. I think FMP also changes vanilla stuff [torches/redstone ect] into tiles so the various panels ect can fit around them.

Reactions: Padfoote