Nuclear Radiation

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

SpartanBlockhead

Jul 29, 2019
Are there any blocks that don't let nuclear radiation pass through them?

Also, another question - is there a way to auto-equip armor? Just curious as it'd be cool to have some sort of pressure plate setup that puts a hazmat suit on when I enter a nuclear reactor room.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Are there any blocks that don't let nuclear radiation pass through them?

Also, another question - is there a way to auto-equip armor? Just curious as it'd be cool to have some sort of pressure plate setup that puts a hazmat suit on when I enter a nuclear reactor room.

First part ... no idea I don't muck around with that stuff at the moment.

Second part. Not yet but the next version of MC there are some changes to how dispensers work that will do that. For now all you can do is make it give you the armor you would still have to put it on yourself.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
The options for the inventory tweaks mod has this. Go into the options from any chest and you should see auto equip settings.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
How do you define "nuclear radiation"?

If you mean the fact that a reactor with a very high hull heat percentage (such as a breeder) will damage you if you come near it, then no, there is no block that can prevent this. It is purely based on how close you are to the reactor core. However, wearing hazmat gear (rubber boots, scuba helmet, hazmat suit, hazmat legs) will reduce the damage, down to 0 if you have the full set on.

If you mean the explosive blast from an overheating reactor or a nuclear warhead, there are several blocks that are particularly explosion resistant. Reinforced stone and doors were explicitly designed for this purpose. Also, a MFFS forcefield will deflect the blast as well.

Zmaster27

Jul 29, 2019
TC3 Warded stone can also do the trick if needed, they can resist plenty of simultaneous nukes (around 9 has been tested)

SpartanBlockhead

Jul 29, 2019
How do you define "nuclear radiation"?

If you mean the fact that a reactor with a very high hull heat percentage (such as a breeder) will damage you if you come near it, then no, there is no block that can prevent this. It is purely based on how close you are to the reactor core. However, wearing hazmat gear (rubber boots, scuba helmet, hazmat suit, hazmat legs) will reduce the damage, down to 0 if you have the full set on.

If you mean the explosive blast from an overheating reactor or a nuclear warhead, there are several blocks that are particularly explosion resistant. Reinforced stone and doors were explicitly designed for this purpose. Also, a MFFS forcefield will deflect the blast as well.

I was referring to the hunger/poison effects you get from being near a nuclear explosion. Is there any way to block this?

TC3 Warded stone can also do the trick if needed, they can resist plenty of simultaneous nukes (around 9 has been tested)

I'm not talking about the actual blast, as I explained above. Also, if 1 nuke won't break a certain block, neither will 1000000. Explosion pressure doesn't stack.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
I think the radiation 'potion effect' that it gives off ignores blocks entirely. It would probably be too resource intensive for the blast to check every block in such a large radius if it is capable of going through it or not.

ECrownofFire

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not talking about the actual blast, as I explained above. Also, if 1 nuke won't break a certain block, neither will 1000000. Explosion pressure doesn't stack.

Nukes are actually specifically designed to stack, unlike regular explosions. Activating a single nuke in a pile of them activates all nearby nukes, and combines them.

SpartanBlockhead

Jul 29, 2019
Nukes are actually specifically designed to stack, unlike regular explosions. Activating a single nuke in a pile of them activates all nearby nukes, and combines them.
I set off a 5x5x5 cube of nukes (125) in a room of warded stone, and there was no damage to the stone or terrain. All of the nukes didn't explode at once either.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
I set off a 5x5x5 cube of nukes (125) in a room of warded stone, and there was no damage to the stone or terrain. All of the nukes didn't explode at once either.
Warded stone is a special case where it can't be destroyed except by the owner using a wand on it. So of course the nukes wouldn't damage it.

SpartanBlockhead

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a simple way to change the blast resistance of a block? I'm pretty sure that no amount of nukes will destroy a block if 1 nuke can't. Warded stone CAN be destroyed, but you have to break it yourself which takes like 10 minutes regardless of the tool.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Except for the fact that any griefer could just wrench the wall open and insert the nuke through the hole :p

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
A griefer could also take the insane amount of time to mine out all your warded stone. Or they could surround your house with lava. Or they could dig the world out from underneath your house. Or they could do any number of destructive things. Griefers should not factor into how you design your house unless you're playing on a crappy insecure server.