No more diamonds from coal?!?! (Mindcrack 8.2.0)

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, someone point out where in the changelog this one happened or if this was a stealth update that I missed.

I just tried turning a stack of coal into a diamond using the macerator to dust, combine with flint, compress, combine with obsidian, compress again, and .... industrial diamond is what I got. Not a regular diamond. I haz a sad

wolfpax181

Jul 29, 2019
Last I knew you could craft it into a diamond block then break that back up into diamonds. Not sure if that one has been changed since I gave in to Gregtech-haterosis and I only play packs without it.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
Industrial diamond is what you should have got, its more of a bug that we have been getting vanilla diamonds up to now, if you check the recipe its does says industrial diamond.

Edit, I just checked the recipe & now its just says Diamond, for the last year its been industrial diamond in recipe, so yeah some thing has change but as to the use of said diamonds there both same usage, more or less.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
It used to be the industrial diamond didn't work properly with recipes, to my knowledge that was why they made it so that it created a vanilla diamond

so I'm guessing that it's been added to the forge ore dictionary for a diamond now?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
The recipe used to build industrial diamonds, but it was changed to regular diamonds a long long time ago. Before Minecraft 1.2, even.

Neither the GregTech nor the IC2 changelogs mention any changes regarding to this.

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
This sucks, because you can't use industrial diamonds in a soul forge. Now the only way to get diamonds is via ores. Which is fine, but at the same time, the work you had to do to make a (now industrial) diamond was enough to me that it wasn't really an exploit so much as an alternative method to getting them. Afterall, coal is not renewable.

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't the industrial diamond still craft directly into a normal diamond in the crafting grid? That used to be how to deal with them back when they were buggy (not to say they still aren't buggy, it may seem).

OMG yes!!! I never knew about that. Okay, so one extra step, it seems. That's not a big deal at all. Thank you! :D

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
...Afterall, coal is not renewable.

Interesting fact, it can be. Electrolyzing 4 blaze powder gives one coal dust and one sulfur dust, so about two stacks of blaze rods = one diamond, or just under one stack of blaze rods if macerated = one diamond

The only thing that's not easily renewable in the process of creating diamonds is lava for the obsidian. But even then Magma crucibles can handle that task

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting fact, it can be. Electrolyzing 4 blaze powder gives one coal dust and one sulfur dust, so about two stacks of blaze rods = one diamond, or just under one stack of blaze rods if macerated = one diamond

The only thing that's not easily renewable in the process of creating diamonds is lava for the obsidian. But even then Magma crucibles can handle that task

I never knew about that recipe. I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks!

Exasperation

Jul 29, 2019
If you need actual coal instead of coal dust (say, for silicon boules in redpower), that's renewable too - you can use soul shards to make a wither skeleton spawner.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
If you need actual coal instead of coal dust (say, for silicon boules in redpower), that's renewable too - you can use soul shards to make a wither skeleton spawner.
Or same method with blazes just using a compressor instead
But yes Wither skeletons are also a coal source, and very rarely a wither source too?

Do they drop heads from that type of spawner?

Exasperation

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, but I think you have to either kill them yourself, or use something like a melee turtle to kill them (i.e., kill them in such a way that they drop exp.).

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
You sir are correct, wither grinder with turtles is a good way to harvest skulls & gain a lot of coal in a short time, I my self use multi grinder setup I have 6-8 caged t5 shards over water to take mobs to 2 malee turtles, simple yet effective, flip of a lever to turn on any shard, drops are collected by 2 transposers with no timer, drops feed to barrels, 5 brains in jars collect xp, I will soon upgrade to a xp turtle after seeing DW's LP featuring an auto enchanting system, soon as I plan it out & work out the code for turtle.

MagusUnion

Jul 29, 2019
Industrial diamond is what you should have got, its more of a bug that we have been getting vanilla diamonds up to now, if you check the recipe its does says industrial diamond.

Edit, I just checked the recipe & now its just says Diamond, for the last year its been industrial diamond in recipe, so yeah some thing has change but as to the use of said diamonds there both same usage, more or less.

NOT A BUG!

IC2 decided to make the old recipe into an actual diamond instead of giving you pseudo-diamonds around IC2 v 1.64...

Why Greg decided to revive this (and ruin the legacy around this item) is beyond me. I guess he believed that 64 coal for 1 diamond was too 'cheap', therefore he added the requirement of having 9 stacks of coal to be compressed into a diamond block before having access to 'diamond level items'...

Expect an 'industrial diamond block' version soon I bet...

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
NOT A BUG!

IC2 decided to make the old recipe into an actual diamond instead of giving you pseudo-diamonds around IC2 v 1.64...

Why Greg decided to revive this (and ruin the legacy around this item) is beyond me. I guess he believed that 64 coal for 1 diamond was too 'cheap', therefore he added the requirement of having 9 stacks of coal to be compressed into a diamond block before having access to 'diamond level items'...

Expect an 'industrial diamond block' version soon I bet...
No real need for caps, but I do stand corrected & rather than explain why I just put "kind of" yes I was lazy but thats human nature at times.

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
Either way, the recipe is 64 coal = 1 industrial diamond, but if you put that in the crafting table, it does still give you one regular diamond, so it's not really the big deal I initially thought it was. :)