No minimap after update?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

unknown zombie

Jan 31, 2013
Florida
I read that REI's minimap was getting axed because it caused memory leaks, and was being replaced with voxelmap..

I am still getting memory leaks anyway, though, so why was REIs removed if that wasn't it?

But, at any rate, after updating I don't have a minimap at all. How do I turn on voxelmap?

Jake0oo0

Jul 29, 2019
I've been wondering this too, I don't think that this has actually been implemented yet.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
It was showing IP addresses when people were recording.
Which is a feeble excuse to exclude the mod because a minority of recorders couldn't be bothered to edit their videos, so as a result, the majority of players "suffer" by having the mod removed?

I think it's more to do with memory issues, but Slokepoke and team haven't made any announcement. Even if you look at the version history, there's no mention of removing the mod.

Reactions: unknown zombie

unknown zombie

Jan 31, 2013
Florida
I simply manually reinstalled it into my pack since I was still getting memory leaks without it anyway.

I've heard the complaints that it shows server IPs, but thought that would be a silly reason to remove it.. But, sadly, it appears to me that it was probably the issue with IPs being shown since the memory leaking is clearly being caused by something else (now to figure out what that is).

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Remember that the Mindcrack pack is made and maintained specifically for Guude. If he says he wants Rei's out, then Rei's gets thrown out, period. We may not agree with the choice, but ultimately it's his call to make and not ours.

Besides, it's really easy for everyone dissatisfied by the change to put Rei's back in. I know I will, simply because I have never had an issue with it and putting it back in is less effort to me than getting used to VoxelMap.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
Which is a feeble excuse to exclude the mod because a minority of recorders couldn't be bothered to edit their videos, so as a result, the majority of players "suffer" by having the mod removed?

Some of the guys livestream as well. The Mindcrack pack was put together specifically for them, hence the name, so it's not really a feeble excuse imho.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Some of the guys livestream as well. The Mindcrack pack was put together specifically for them, hence the name, so it's not really a feeble excuse imho.
Again, this means the majority of players miss out on the mod by default in favor of the minority. The few livestreamers should be the ones to either disable the mod or switch it to a different one

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
please correct me if im wrong, but Rei's has also been removed from DW20 pack...
Yep, it's been removed, with no Voxel replacement.

Dire added it due to public recommendation, but since he doesn't really use the minimap I doubt he wanted the Voxel version. Back to adding the minmap of your choice back to the pack.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
Ah I didn't know it was gone from there also. I know it's gone from Ultimate, but I quite like the way the waypoints in voxelmap show up, although the "show mobs by default" option is irritating. I wonder if the modpack team just don't want to maintain settings for more than one mapmod, and they have all the other voxel stuff in the modpacks anyway (most of which I used to remove, but I don't know which are ok to remove in order to keep the map, will have to do a bit of trial and error), so that would make sense. Maybe one day they'll tell us!

OliverJ102

Jul 29, 2019
I run a server and VoxelMap is the WORST addition ive seen in the modpack. Unless im missing something there is no server side config file for it so the developers are basically telling servers that cheat mode are allowed. This mod allows for cave maping, entity radar and player radar.

I hope they remove it, id rather have no map then that on my server. If they are so determined to keep it, make it configurable server side, else as far as I can see, they are letting down the entire community down by forcing what is essentially an xray mod onto servers.

Correct me if im missing something please, but I cant see how to manage this minimaps configurations from the server.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
Voxel map has no config file at all from what I can tell, so the only way to configure it is in game with its horrible menus.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
You guys know that you can put this mod back in with just a few clicks, right? And that's counting the effort required to visit its page on the MCF (and the clicks needed to turn VoxelStuff off).
I find this a bit annoying as well, but since it's so easily fixed I'm okay with it.

Morvelaira

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, to address this one:

Rei's Minimap was removed from the DW20 pack because that is what Direwolf20 decided he would like. That's the case for all mods in that pack - they are their at the request and convenience of Direwolf20.

It was not included in the Ultimate Pack from the start because the decision was made to include the Voxel Suite of mods in that pack. We at FTB tend to favor not including mods in a pack where their basic functionality is duplicated by other mods already in the pack, so that is the logic there. It has nothing to do with supposed memory leaks that I am aware of, and the issue of IP's being displayed on multiplayer servers was corrected quite some time ago.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
well, this is odd. I've just updated to DW5.2, and Rei's minimap is in the pack...

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
Confirmed, just did a force download and our beloved rei's is back.

Maybe someone forgot to include it in the non recommended 5.2 :p

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
It should be obvious, but just in case, DO NOT click on the above link, its one of those links.
(Phishing/ scam)

Edit: Taken care of by the Mods, disregard. :)

Reactions: Golrith

Kaiser

Jul 29, 2019
can anybody help me with this? the voxelmap
2013-03-17_18.04.42.png