New enchanting in 1.8

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Yellow!

So the first snapshot is out for 1.8 and with it changes to the enchanting system. I found them quite good but I am wondering what other people think about it. More speccificly, I am wondering what poeple playing mods find about it. Will this make you get an enchanting improvement mod? Or drop said improvement mod? Will you still run from vanilla enchanting all together to say TiC or Dartcraft? Or will you actuall come back to the vanilla mechanic?

Let me explain from my personal testing how the new enchanting works. Lets first look at the new interface and explain what we see here:
duzAtPT.jpg

1. Enchanting now requires Lapis Lazuli.
2. Enchanting now has a cost of either 1, 2 or 3. The costs is for both levels and Lapis Lazuli
3. The level requirement to be able to do the enchant.
4. A look at wich enchant it is garunteed to get, it could be getting more, might also be the only one you get.

Additionally the enchant you get is locked untill you do an enchant. But! This is not as bad as it might sound. Because weapons/armor pieces and tools all have there own catagory. And when you do an enchant, the locked enchant you get is reset for each catagory.

Catagorys seem to be like this:
- Tools (Axe/Pickaxe/shovel)
- Sword
- Bow
- Helm
- Chestplate
- Leggings
- Boots
- Fishing Rod
- Books

For example, lets say I want to enchant a sword and it shows I get bane of arthopods. This sucks right? Well, I could put something else in there, like say a pick. Wich might get Fortune 3. Great! So I enchant the pick and now put the sword back in. It now shows me sharpness 4. Worst case, I could enchant something exposable/renewable with a 1 level enchantment. Like a wooden tool or a book.

One more comment. Repairing has changed aswell. It is now significantly cheaper to repair an item (renaming is also cheaper, seems fixed at 1 level). Repairing an item now seems to start annywhere from 1 to 5 levels depending on what enchants are on it. Durability level no longer seems to matter. Additionally, each repair increases the repair cost by 1 level regardless of wether the item is named or not.

So what do you guys think?

Last edited:

Vtecem

Jul 29, 2019
I really don't see this as an improvement as much as just a change to vanilla. I will most likely continue to use mods like EnchantingPlus and/or TiCo.

However I remain open to changing enchanting and Jeb stated that it is still open for debate and is still subject to change.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Looks cool. Likely will stick with Dartcraft enchanting for Dartcraft Tools, TiC enchanting for those rare times I use TiC, and I'll give the vanilla enchanting another shot. It's sucked almost as long as it's existed(that is, it sucked up until a mod was released to allow you control over your enchantments), but this looks like it might be useful.
The fact that it sticks until you enchant something sucks, though. Why would I enchant anything with Bane of Arthropods? I'm not afraid of Spiders, and Silverfish are a Joke. So instead, I should enchant a different type of item. Oh, Okay, maybe the bow I was hoping to use will get Infinity? No, Punch V predicted. Hm, well, I guess that a Silk Touch pick is in order. Fortune II? Fuck, man! How about my Helm? Blast Protection. GODS DAMMIT ALL TO HELL!
...I guess I'll enchant a Book. Bane of Arthropods V.

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
still too random for me, and now too hard to change.
i do appreciate the lapis cost and telling what the first one is though.

for your #2 circle, that number also tells you the number of additional enchants you can get.

i think an improvement would be let us decrease the chance of a chosen enchant and increase the chance of another chosen for the cost of some gold/diamond, and an increase in the exp required.
you would have to have already gotten the enchant on something to chose it for rarity control though.

you would think after enchanting a lot, i would learn how to start controlling what i get. . .

this is really my biggest gripe w/ vanilla enchanting- the lack of control i have.
i wouldn't mind the randomness for the first few enchants, as im getting started w/ enchanting, but eventually i want more control over what i get.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
this is really my biggest gripe w/ vanilla enchanting- the lack of control i have.
i wouldn't mind the randomness for the first few enchants, as im getting started w/ enchanting, but eventually i want more control over what i get.
I hope that a system like Skyrim's Enchanting could be added. Y'know, find an item with enchantment X and you can "consume" it to learn that enchantment, allowing you to place it on any item you can put it on for some XP and some items.

That'd be cool.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
As a person that plays mainly FTB I find all this stuff irrelevant to me. That being said new snapshots do give a lot more functions for modders to play with.

Reactions: PierceSG