Nether Woes - a couple of questions.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Couple of questions about the nether and its frustrations, if you peeps don't mind.

Playing Monster 1.0.3 on difficulty level 2 (which is the culprit I'm suspecting).

1) Loaded nether ores that go BOOM! Which mod adds it, and how do I turn the damn thing off? It's driving me bananas.

2) Zombie Pigmen are getting upset when I mine Nether Quartz. I remember them getting angry when mining the usual ores, but never for quartz. Is this something new, or is it because I have difficulty set on 2?

3) If questions 1 or 2 are due to difficulty, would turning difficulty back to 1 shut them up, or is it something set on map generation, so I have to suck it up now?

And unrelated to the Nether:

4) Friendermen?? What are those? I tried googling about them but can't find anything about them. He just chills around in my base, wearing an incredibly adorable satchel, and doesn't mind me looking at him. How does he work?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Couple of questions about the nether and its frustrations, if you peeps don't mind.

Playing Monster 1.0.3 on difficulty level 2 (which is the culprit I'm suspecting).

1) Loaded nether ores that go BOOM! Which mod adds it, and how do I turn the damn thing off? It's driving me bananas.

2) Zombie Pigmen are getting upset when I mine Nether Quartz. I remember them getting angry when mining the usual ores, but never for quartz. Is this something new, or is it because I have difficulty set on 2?

3) If questions 1 or 2 are due to difficulty, would turning difficulty back to 1 shut them up, or is it something set on map generation, so I have to suck it up now?

And unrelated to the Nether:

4) Friendermen?? What are those? I tried googling about them but can't find anything about them. He just chills around in my base, wearing an incredibly adorable satchel, and doesn't mind me looking at him. How does he work?
1) Nether Ores mod. I believe there's a config option to disable the BOOM

2) Same mod causing this

3) N/A

4) Never heard of it :D

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Most likely, haven't actually looked, but I know you can configure the explosions.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
can't seem to spot the config file for nether ores. Is it listed under some non-obvious name?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Hmm, now you are testing my memory. There should be a powercrystals folder in the config folder, within there will be a nether ores config, or a folder for nether ores with the config in there.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Ah there it is, under power crystals. Thanks :)[DOUBLEPOST=1389871232][/DOUBLEPOST]For the info of anyone that might be wondering, these seem to be the settings under mods\powercrstals\netherores\common.cfg as they are by default.

# NetherOre explosions can trigger more explosions if true. Does nothing if ExplosionEnable is false.
B:ExplosionChainReactEnable=true

# NetherOres have a chance to explode when mined if true.
B:ExplosionEnable=true

# How powerful an explosion will be. Creepers are 3, TNT is 4, electrified creepers are 6. This affects both the ability of the explosion to punch through blocks as well as the blast radius.
I:ExplosionPower=2

and for the Quartz:

# If true, when NetherOres are mined, nearby pigmen become angry to the player.
B:AngryPigmenEnable=true

# If true, Nether Quartz ore will be a NetherOre and will follow the same rules as all other NetherOres.
B:OverrideNetherQuartz=true

Reactions: Linda Hartlen

Dylan4ever

Jul 29, 2019
Friendermen are from Better Storage I believe. They are just docile and kind creatures. They may or may not drop their Enderbackpack.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
I would, if Mojang didn't make nametags dungeon spawns only! Them, and saddles! Give as a crafting recipe already! Make them expensive or something, but don't leave them up to plain luck :(

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I would, if Mojang didn't make nametags dungeon spawns only! Them, and saddles! Give as a crafting recipe already! Make them expensive or something, but don't leave them up to plain luck :(
Tinkers Construct adds a recipe for nametags....

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Only found out last night, in the process of updating my mod pack, just doing random checks in NEI that every looks fine. Thought, hmm, what use is there for Horse Glue, and voila! Amazing what hidden things you can find just by getting NEI to tell you what an item is used in.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
^ Only the explosions, pigmen will still get mad at you.
I find the quartz change pretty silly, given how useful it is for tons of mods nowadays (and how it doesn't yield double the output of overworld ores just like the rest). Nether ores are valuable and (somewhat) rare, so it makes sense that they explode and pigmen get angry. Nether quartz is cheap, you find it everywhere in the Nether and you need tons of it, so it doesn't make any sense at all for pigs to go aggro.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
^ Only the explosions, pigmen will still get mad at you.
I find the quartz change pretty silly, given how useful it is for tons of mods nowadays (and how it doesn't yield double the output of overworld ores just like the rest). Nether ores are valuable and (somewhat) rare, so it makes sense that they explode and pigmen get angry. Nether quartz is cheap, you find it everywhere in the Nether and you need tons of it, so it doesn't make any sense at all for pigs to go aggro.
It is, but thankfully it's configurable.

JoeDolca

Jul 29, 2019
What really upsets me is that the pigmen get angry and the ores explode WHEN YOU ARE NOT MINING THEM.

A nitro creeper or just a ghast explosion can spell doom on you and you didn't even do anything! I disabled nether ores entirely, I don't want them without aggroing the pigs, but I don't want them drawing aggro for things that are not my fault either!

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Just as a hint, there are several ways to mine nether ores that the pigmen don't mind and pose no danger of explosion.

Also nether ores are no more rare than regular ores. In the past I've seen the mod disabled not because it makes the nether dangerous, but because it makes ores too common/easily obtained.

Reactions: RedBoss