Nether lava pumps with chunk loaders are bad?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Westingham

Jul 29, 2019
I currently have the tried and true setup of pumping lava out of the nether via liquid transposers and ender chests and a chunk loader. However, after doing some reading it seems that there is a common opinion that this is a Bad Thing [tm], mainly because it can/does cause big-time server lag.

Could somebody explain why and how this causes server lag for everybody? The server I'm playing on does have times where it's trying, and failing, to keep up and I'm wondering now if these two are related.

Brian Mixon

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure it causes the same amount of lag as any chunk loader would. Most servers can take at least a moderate amount of chunk-loading. Is this a VERY low end server?

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
The issue is that flowing lava blocks are not removed if they are next to any other flowing lava blocks or lava source blocks. Flowing lava blocks require more data to be passed from the server to the client (how tall is the source block, how far can it flow). when you pump lava from the nether you are effectively multiplying each pump'd blocks load on the server which causes lag.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
^ This. That's why the Magma Crucible exists, but I couldn't make it *too* easy, as you can actually Quarry Netherrack ridiculously faster than you can pump lava. It's a tricky balance point.

On another note, Vovk - I like the post, but your Avatar creeps me the hell out.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder if there is a way to deal with the flowing lava blocks. Some change in Forge, or a 'liquid stasis' upgrade for the pump or a chunkloader which stops liquids from flowing in the area.

Reactions: EternalDensity

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
^ This. That's why the Magma Crucible exists, but I couldn't make it *too* easy, as you can actually Quarry Netherrack ridiculously faster than you can pump lava. It's a tricky balance point.

On another note, Vovk - I like the post, but your Avatar creeps me the hell out.

Is this then the preferred server-friendly way to build a lava powerplant? Find a big netherrack-rich region and quarry it to Nether and back, resulting in such an excess of lava that no number of hours could possibly consume it?

Just pumping lava is simpler and safer, but this has a certain flair and style to it that I rather like now that tesseracts are a real thing.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019

heh. I thank ye twice for both statements. This picture gave me nightmares as a kid and I wanted to share the awesomeness of Stephen Gammell's art with the rest o' ya :)

also @ kirin dave - you can set up around 2-3 crucibles throttled to 16 or 24 MJ per tick so that each gets 8 MJ/tick. Then have tubes hooked up to a single extradimensional barrel full of netherrack (you'll actually mine more than enough to fill one)

running those 3 crucibles should provide you enough lava for anything and allow you to store a bunch of lava in a relatively small space. you could use then a small 16-64 storage buffer for on demand access.

Edit: with very careful turtle programming you could pump lava from the nether in a lag free way.

it would carry a stack of cobble and a stack of empty cells. It would go into the bottom of the lake and use the cells on all the blocks around it. Then it would surround itself with cobble on all sides but one, then it would move once, fill in the cobble behind it, mine lava in front of itself, move into the flowing lava space it just opened, fill in the space behind it with cobble, then move over once more rinse and repeat. When full, it digs through the cobble, replacing it as it goes until it gets back to the dropoff location where it puts the lava cells (which are put into transposers and tesseracted into your base) then it will go to a chest where it will restock on lava and fuel and cells, then repeat. You could save on a lot of lines of code by just skimming the top of the lake, adding cobblestone to fill in flowing lava blocks, but meh... you lose 80% of the lava that way.

Think I'd rather just quarry netherrack.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking of extra-dimensional storage, now I want to see a Tesseract-based Thermal Expansion liquid storage system.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking of extra-dimensional storage, now I want to see a Tesseract-based Thermal Expansion liquid storage system.
Is connecting a Railcraft tank up to a liquid-tesseract so it can be accessed from anywhere not enough?

-ED, wondering if his avatar is less creepy than Vovk's

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
Is connecting a Railcraft tank up to a liquid-tesseract so it can be accessed from anywhere not enough?

-ED, wondering if his avatar is less creepy than Vovk's

Nope. If the Tesseract blocks we're placing are just the 3D shadow of the same Tesseract, I want an upgrade to be able to fill the Tesseract with Stuff(tm).

Reactions: EternalDensity

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Nope. If the Tesseract blocks we're placing are just the 3D shadow of the same Tesseract, I want an upgrade to be able to fill the Tesseract with Stuff(tm).
I suppose crafting such a thing would hypothetically be like for the liquid tesseract but replacing several of the ingots with liquid tanks, right?

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
maybe it's a really really really small 4 dimensional object, so that it has many cross sections and shadows in the third dimension, all of which are techinically the same thing and take up the same tiny space in the 4th spatial dimension which I have named fred.

so it could look like it has infinite length width and height, but it might have such a small fred that its volume is effectively 0 (volume of a 4 dimensional object is given by length x width x height x fred). Then it could exist everywhere and have almost no storage space.

wait... that's 4 dimensional volume it would have almost 0 of. it would still have a lot of 3 dimensional volume. Similar to how a really wide thin sheet would have tons of surface area and almost no volume.

hmm... for tesseracts to attach to every single point in 3D space, they must have large volumes, and thus large storage capacity.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
meh, I couldn't use simba - the name was already taken for my diamond jackhammer, also I think someone stole the name for the protagonist of some disney movie.

Reactions: Lambert2191

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
I suppose crafting such a thing would hypothetically be like for the liquid tesseract but replacing several of the ingots with liquid tanks, right?

Maybe portable tanks filled with liquid ender. Or liquid ender-infused diamonds, for structural stability. Nether star(s)? I don't know, make it expensive.

@VovK, the upgrades would be the structures we'd need to access that volume without some sort of horrible spacial mishap in 3D space.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Ooor... Take a liquid tesseract and then surround it with 8 tanks in the crafting table. So that's 64 liquid storage per shadow. And if that's too cheap, we can go with filling 2 each with: lava, ender, redstone, and lapis (to be added). Or if that's too cheap, liquid nether stars. (for gregtech)

Or allow tanks to be melted in the magma crucible, and require a tank of liquid tanks. (Bonus: allow melting of metals to get liquid metals that can be pumped into the thermionic fabricator. Then add liquid metal terminators, because.)

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
if your talking about HeffronCM's I think it is cute. I love those bunnies.
My talking about HeffronCM's avatar never happened.
Vovk's is the one that was already being discussed.

I'm proud of being silly. Liquid tanks filled with liquefied tanks! So you can store liquid storage in your liquid storage as liquid while you store liquid.