Need someone to guide me through Unleashed

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

darksog1998

Jul 29, 2019
Basically, I've been looking for guides all over the place, and can't seem to find a starting guide, but actually guides for complex stuff like a quarry and treefarms? Anyways if you could atleast give me some starting hints, I'd be really greatfull. Here's my skype too, if you do need it : dark_sog

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
1) Survive 1st night as you normally would. Get a bit of food/wood/etc.
2) Mine until you get 3 diamonds, make a mining turtle and run the excavate program (or a custom program that's better)
(NOTE: There are better automated mining systems, but this is the cheapest and simplest)
3) Make a renewable energy source (or just pump the nether for lava) and use it to power MFR/Forestry machines to automate all your farming.
4) Somewhere along the way make a mob grinder system. You can use soul shards or MFR to make that easier, but vanilla designs have always worked just fine for me.

At this point you have automated all the major tasks involved in survival, so all that's left is fun projects. My suggestion: pick a mod, look it up in NEI or on a wiki, and try and use as many of the blocks from it as you can. Once you've finished, move on to another mod and repeat. In your next world, you'll know what sorts of projects you enjoy and can skip straight to them.

Honestly starting FTB is a lot like starting vanilla. The only real significant differences are that you can automate mining and automated farming is a lot easier. Depending on your playstyle and familiarity with FTB mods you can get the starting stuff done in a few hours or at least within a few play sessions.

I would recommend getting a smeltery going quickly because TC tools are awesome. Starting on bees pretty early is also nice - it can take a while to breed them up properly. Also a good early investment: Coke Ovens. Coal->Coal Coke is great and all, but with Plugins for Forestry we can turn sugar and cactus into fuel, and those are practically automated for you. Finally, you should visit the Twilight Forest - it's just super cool (also a good source of spawners if you want to fill up soul shards super quick).

Reactions: darksog1998

darksog1998

Jul 29, 2019
1) Survive 1st night as you normally would. Get a bit of food/wood/etc.
2) Mine until you get 3 diamonds, make a mining turtle and run the excavate program (or a custom program that's better)
(NOTE: There are better automated mining systems, but this is the cheapest and simplest)
3) Make a renewable energy source (or just pump the nether for lava) and use it to power MFR/Forestry machines to automate all your farming.
4) Somewhere along the way make a mob grinder system. You can use soul shards or MFR to make that easier, but vanilla designs have always worked just fine for me.

At this point you have automated all the major tasks involved in survival, so all that's left is fun projects. My suggestion: pick a mod, look it up in NEI or on a wiki, and try and use as many of the blocks from it as you can. Once you've finished, move on to another mod and repeat. In your next world, you'll know what sorts of projects you enjoy and can skip straight to them.

Honestly starting FTB is a lot like starting vanilla. The only real significant differences are that you can automate mining and automated farming is a lot easier. Depending on your playstyle and familiarity with FTB mods you can get the starting stuff done in a few hours or at least within a few play sessions.

I would recommend getting a smeltery going quickly because TC tools are awesome. Starting on bees pretty early is also nice - it can take a while to breed them up properly. Also a good early investment: Coke Ovens. Coal->Coal Coke is great and all, but with Plugins for Forestry we can turn sugar and cactus into fuel, and those are practically automated for you. Finally, you should visit the Twilight Forest - it's just super cool (also a good source of spawners if you want to fill up soul shards super quick).

This is so useful... Thanks alot, all I've been doing is going around mining stuff, so I do have alot of ores, but I'm gonna try the turtle for now. Also, I love the Twilight Forest, and the amount of ores you can find on the Hydra's Lair is amazing.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Play Minecraft, look in NEI, make stuff, make stuff explode, make stuff to make stuff not explode, make that stuff explode, then make stuff work the way you want, build things.

Edit: Just realized this is pretty much what my shop teacher explained recently. "Pretty much the only reason we do things is to make it not explode". I think this fits well with FTB. To the signature!

AlwaysGoofingOff

Jul 29, 2019
Consider a quartz grindstone as your first goal. It allows you to double your ores with no energy, at the cost of time. It's also easy to build since quartz is easy to find and you only need 3 dusts.

Once you can pulverize your ores, the grindstone is obsolete. (pulverize, macerate, forest tripling, whatever)

darksog1998

Jul 29, 2019
For some reason I ended up making a quarry instead of a mining turtle... I mixed the stuff up... Is it still worth it to make a turtle?

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
For some reason I ended up making a quarry instead of a mining turtle... I mixed the stuff up... Is it still worth it to make a turtle?
Think of the mods like different types of paint. Use whatever colors you want, it's your canvas. You won't really know what's "worth it" until you try a bit of everything. At the end of he day what's "best" will be what's fun for you.

One suggestion I'd give you is to decide first what you want to do, then go backwards to figure out how to do it. Let's say your goal is to be able to fly. Well you can use magic mods or tech mods for that. Or do you want a bunch of logs without having to chop them yourself? Well Unleashed has at least 4 mods you can achieve this goal with.

Then at the very least your questions can be specific. Or best case you'll know what to research on your own. ;)

darksog1998

Jul 29, 2019
Think of the mods like different types of paint. Use whatever colors you want, it's your canvas. You won't really know what's "worth it" until you try a bit of everything. At the end of he day what's "best" will be what's fun for you.

One suggestion I'd give you is to decide first what you want to do, then go backwards to figure out how to do it. Let's say your goal is to be able to fly. Well you can use magic mods or tech mods for that. Or do you want a bunch of logs without having to chop them yourself? Well Unleashed has at least 4 mods you can achieve this goal with.

Then at the very least your questions can be specific. Or best case you'll know what to research on your own. ;)

I didn't even know we could fly... my god, I am gonna be so confused xD still, this mod is so much fun and I haven't done a thing. But thanks

Bihlbo

Jul 29, 2019
If I were to go back and tell my former self how to start in a modpack like this, I'd say "Don't try to do everything all at once. Pick a mod that involves ore processing and go whole-hog on that one mod." You can play the game and ignore some of the bigger mods. For instance you don't need to ever worry about power if you just focus on Thaumcraft. You can do really well with just a MJ-powered base, or just an EU-powered base. If you're starting out, don't try to do everything.

OlexaKid64

Jul 29, 2019
On my YouTube, I'll make videos for anything people have questions about. Just search olexakid64 and leave a comment with a topic or idea and I will make a video to help you understand it better.

darksog1998

Jul 29, 2019
On my YouTube, I'll make videos for anything people have questions about. Just search olexakid64 and leave a comment with a topic or idea and I will make a video to help you understand it better.

I just watched this:
and it helped me with the ores :D thanks
But I remember playing tekkit and there used to be a pipe that would filter stuff, it had like 7 or 8 slots to filter through different sides, yet I cant seem to find it. it's useful for the quarry I built 'cause of sorting and stuff

OlexaKid64

Jul 29, 2019
Check tomorrow f
I just watched this:
and it helped me with the ores :D thanks
But I remember playing tekkit and there used to be a pipe that would filter stuff, it had like 7 or 8 slots to filter through different sides, yet I cant seem to find it. it's useful for the quarry I built 'cause of sorting and stuff
Check tomorrow for a video. I'll explain sorting usin pipes, the different kinds of pipes, and how to activate them. (Might be two videos)

AlwaysGoofingOff

Jul 29, 2019
Forest tripling?

Sorry, not Forestry, Factorization. I named the wrong mod. It achieves tripling of your ores into ingots. But it's very slow.

Since I play at a slow pace I usually setup this system and always have something in the crystalizer(s) processing. When I'm in a hurry for ingots I just toss ores into the pulverizer system. I've heard that automating the crystalizer can be interesting/frustrating. I haven't tried.