Request Need Nuclear Reactor Advice

Alex Gerbinno

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, everybody! I've decided that, now that I have a mass fabricator running and uranium fabricating is pretty cheap that I want to build a nuclear reactor. I am willing to put many resources into this and want the best of the best. Here's the criteria I'd like in order from most important to meh:
1024 eu/t or more
No maintenance if possible (I can use buildcraft pipes and such) or very low maintenance
Takes up no more than 16x16x6 in space
Again, I have lots and lots of materials available, so I'm really wanting to go all out on this. Space is a factor, though.

My knowledge is pretty much limited to that you need fuel rods which you make with uranium, and that it's from IC2. Other than that, I need a lot of educating. Thanks everyone!

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Hello, everybody! I've decided that, now that I have a mass fabricator running and uranium fabricating is pretty cheap that I want to build a nuclear reactor. I am willing to put many resources into this and want the best of the best. Here's the criteria I'd like in order from most important to meh:
1024 eu/t or more
No maintenance if possible (I can use buildcraft pipes and such) or very low maintenance
Takes up no more than 16x16x6 in space
Again, I have lots and lots of materials available, so I'm really wanting to go all out on this. Space is a factor, though.

My knowledge is pretty much limited to that you need fuel rods which you make with uranium, and that it's from IC2. Other than that, I need a lot of educating. Thanks everyone!
I strongly recommend that you go for small individual reactors that each produce small amounts of power but are stable and safe. You can make reactors that produce 1024EU/t+ but it comes with a lot of complexity and risk.

You should take a look at this thread:
http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=8966
It has different reactor setups that are all stable and safe to run continuously. All that you need to replace is the fuel rods. I particularly prefer the "Beginner Reactor 3". It has really good efficiency and is easy to automate as you only need to make single fuel rods. And it is single chamber so you can just have loads of them cramped together in small places.

I prefer automating the replacing of fuel rods with either ME import/export bus if reactors are placed spaced out or with Factorization Routers if reactors are placed adjacent to each other(2 routers can handle all reactors). Just make sure to filter that only depleted fuel rods are extracted and not the other reactor components(that could lead to a meltdown).

To process the uranium it into fuel it depends a bit on versions. In IC2E you will need to to process the ore in a Macerator, Ore Washing Plant, Thermal Centrifuge. The craft the two isotopes into Enriched fuel and put it into a Canning Machine to make Fuel Rods. Bear in mind that as soon as you macerate the ore it starts being radioactive. You need a full Hazmat suit(hazmat+Rubber boots+Scuba Helmet) to protect from this when carrying any of the uranium items after the raw ore. Best to fully automate it.

Example of my recent 1.6 nuclear setup:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...uide-collection-etc.42664/page-26#post-886637

Reactions: abculatter_2